News:

I WILL KILL A MOTHERFUCKER.

Main Menu

Anonymous hacker to do time for Scientology attack

Started by Cain, January 26, 2010, 11:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/01/guilty-plea-in-scientology-ddos-attack/

QuoteA Nebraska man is pleading guilty in federal court to a computer disruption charge for his role in the 2008 distributed denial-of-service attack that temporarily shuttered Church of Scientology websites, the authorities said Tuesday.

Los Angeles federal prosecutors said Brian Thomas Mettenbrink, 20, signed a plea agreement Friday admitting his role in the January, 2008 attack (.pdf) –- bringing to two the number of defendants convicted in Anonymous' attack on Scientology. Mettenbrink is expected within days to be sentenced to a year in prison, prosecutors said.

"He took their websites down," Assistant United States Attorney Erik M. Silber said in a brief telephone interview from Los Angeles. "Anonymous: I think one of their primary missions is to bring down the Church of Scientology."

Mettenbrink's attorney did not return repeated telephone calls.

Last year, Dmitriy Guzner, part of the online troublemaking group Anonymous, pleaded guilty to similar charges and was sentenced to a year in prison in what at the time was the first known prosecution of an Anonymous member.

Urgh.  I wonder if Anonymous are now going to attack the Feds?  Could be amusing.  I might go stir up some trouble aimed in that direction and see what comes of it.

Jasper

"Online troublemaking group" originally caused me to balk.  Then, I realized that it's true. 

Anon won't attack the Feds though.  I have a hypothesis that Anon won't attack unless there is enough lulz for the effort required.  Easy targets that are inherently objectionable and ridiculous are prime Anon targets.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Hard to tell what they'll do. I'd say it's unlikely, but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if some of them did try something.

Richter

Yeah, the group in general has the predictability and attention span of a shoggoth composed entirely of kittens.

Also:  If you get caught, haven't you jsut failed at beign anonymous?
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Jasper

Yeah, but legislation is eons behind the hivemind concept.  It still thinks like Aristotle.

Jasper

cavehamster

I read that, and thought... 'anonymous fail'

If you re going to do something borderline illegal, at least bounce it around a bit, ya know?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Felix on January 27, 2010, 02:04:01 AM
Easy targets that are inherently objectionable and ridiculous are prime Anon targets.

The feds are both objectionable and ridiculous. As for easy targets, that depends upon whether or not you consider the possible outcome.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Jasper

Now that our fearless leader can have terrorists (read: inconvenient people) summarily executed, we'll just go ahead and have them labeled "hard" targets.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Do you really think that anon thinks ahead that far?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Telarus

Anonymous as a superorganism doesn't have that well developed 3rd circuit grammar yet. It communicates to itself in LOLcat, ALL YOUR BASE, and Imma Let You Finish memes.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Jasper

That's because it's an ESL superorganism, so it speaks in a patois of tired in-jokes, permutated memes and amusingly broken grammar.

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

E.O.T.

SHOULDN'T

This be in 'first world problems?'?

ALSO, THIS COURT

Shall not concern itself with mere facts.
"a good fight justifies any cause"