News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

Attn Ladies: Apple reveals the new iPad

Started by cavehamster, January 27, 2010, 11:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

Quote from: Richter on January 29, 2010, 11:40:56 PM
I'd like to see Asus, Dell, and MSI's take on this too.  Archos has a FEW possiblities, but nothing with the right hardware / battery life combo for me yet.

http://news.techwhack.com/11662-hp-slate-2

That was fast. :|

cavehamster

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

cavehamster

Cain

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Soylent Green

Quote from: v=1/3πr²h on January 29, 2010, 07:59:40 PM
OK, I am generally speaking a pretty big fan of the three apple products I own right now. However, I completely fail to see why anyone would buy this totally ridiculous monstrosity and not a $300 Netbook.

As for comparing it to a Kindle or other e-reader, that's ludicrous simply because the whole point of e-readers is the special no-eyestrain screens, right? And no multitasking? What the shit?

Hell, with the nook you can even be downloading a book and reading a different one at the same time.

A friggin book reader has more multi-tasking than the ipad.

Soylent Green

By the way...

Go look up the archos 9

$500 cooler looking, better named ipad that CAN multitask and runs windows.

Cain

You say "runs windows" like that is a feature, and not a bug.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Richter on January 29, 2010, 11:40:56 PM
I'd like to see Asus, Dell, and MSI's take on this too.  Archos has a FEW possiblities, but nothing with the right hardware / battery life combo for me yet.

Asus has demoed a couple different takes on this already, basically EEEs with a touchscreen and no keyboard, and in one case a dual touchscreen model.  HP has a few different laptops where the screen can be repositioned to cover the keyboard and let it act as a tablet.

Basically, the only new idea that Apple is bringing to the tablet PC market is that a tablet should be even less than a netbook.

On the 'writing notes with a stylus' thing someone mentioned, the Sony PRS 600 will let you do that, though I don't know if it has any kind of handwriting to text function.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2010, 02:37:03 PM

If it can run windows, that would seem to imply that there is a way to install a different version of windows on it, which would seem to imply that there was a way to install an arbitrary operating system on it, which would mean that the thing has been "unlocked."
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

Quote from: GA on January 31, 2010, 03:54:58 PM

If it can run windows, that would seem to imply that there is a way to install a different version of windows on it, which would seem to imply that there was a way to install an arbitrary operating system on it, which would mean that the thing has been "unlocked."

Put like that, it sounds better.  Still, "has windows" is not exactly a selling point, and I say that as a Windows user.

the last yatto

Quote from: Requia ☣ on January 31, 2010, 03:33:51 PM
HP has a few different laptops where the screen can be repositioned to cover the keyboard and let it act as a tablet.

HP slate isnt that far away, probably setup similar to a netbook
but with touch action everyone seems to enjoy
o nintendo you trend setter you
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Soylent Green

Quote from: Cain on January 31, 2010, 04:34:02 PM
Quote from: GA on January 31, 2010, 03:54:58 PM

Put like that, it sounds better.  Still, "has windows" is not exactly a selling point, and I say that as a Windows user.

Eh, as opposed to this Iphone Os shit, it is a major step up.

But you can always have this for $200 bucks less, and it runs linux: http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/home/index.htm

Requia ☣

Why the hell was I not told about that  :argh!:

Too bad I don't have the money.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.