News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

About The Crumbs

Started by hooplala, February 12, 2010, 09:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

This is about insignificant crumbs of nothing.

You are an insignificant crumb of nothing. Your size, when compared with the sheer vastness of our known universe, is roughly that of an atom floating next to the island of Manhattan. We -you, me, everyone you've ever met- are all insignificant crumbs of nothing. If you could get a bird's eye view of our entire universe, the vast collection of billions of interstellar shopping malls, you wouldn't even be able to see our galaxy, the Milky Way. Neither would you see any of our neighboring galaxies, or even the large cluster of galaxies we reside inside; no, we are truly cosmically insignificant.

But, we are conscious. At least, we think so. Possibly, just possibly, the only conscious beings in the entire universe as unlikely as that seems. And each of us; you, me, your mother, that dog down the street, are all composed of atoms created in the Big Bang. We are all the same age, and we are all made up from what was once smaller than the head of a pin. You, your potted fern, and a stapler are all essentially the same.

Think about that.

YoYo, for an insignificant crumb of nothing, certainly took being evicted from his crumb of an apartment quite seriously. He was pissed off as he ran with his tacky turtle-shell suitcase to catch the crumb known locally as the Queen Streetcar.

As he ran to the streetcar, a large red star in a relatively nearby galaxy winked out for the final time, and collapsed upon itself, sucking everything -even rays of light- within millions and millions of miles into the hole it left behind. This star kicking the proverbial bucket would not be visible to people on Earth for six million years.

YoYo had no idea the star even existed.

Three large galaxies on the opposite side of the universe were swallowed up by a gargantuan super-galaxy which was spinning out of control, destroying stars and planets like a child destroying ants.  YoYo was only aware of one other galaxy, our nearest neighbor, Andromeda, which will eventually collide with our galaxy, forming a super galaxy of our own. Perhaps, we too will careen out of control gobbling up star cities for the rest of time. Think of it as something to look forward to.

YoYo knew he had to find a place to stay, and at the same time was vaguely aware the universe was expanding, but had no idea that the more it expanded the faster it traveled.  He had no idea that our 'Big Bang' was, in fact, the fifth big bang.  The universe had been expanding and collapsing on itself for a googol's worth of years.  Or maybe a googol's googol. Or a googolplex. At any rate, it's been a while.  YoYo had no idea this was the fifth try at a universe anymore than he was aware that he'd existed since the very first big bang.  And, so have you.

Happy Birthday.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really, really like this. I didn't think I was going to like it and then I got to the end and I liked it. A LOT.

:mittens:
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Thanks!  I wrote it a while ago, and thought it was on here somewhere, but a search brought up nothing.

What put you off initially, the title?

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jasper

8.7/10

Nice.

I really dig that "absurdly vast cosmos" / "this humanity thing is kinda special" angle.

Doktor Howl

That was great.

I'm kinda tempted to use that as a tip-in on issue #3 of MSY, if you're interested.

Nurse Mayhem would have a BLAST illustrating that.
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

THIS IS GREAT

Totally thought this was gonna be a hate rant

SURPRISE

Creative story. Love it.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Hoopla on February 12, 2010, 09:20:34 PM
Thanks!  I wrote it a while ago, and thought it was on here somewhere, but a search brought up nothing.

What put you off initially, the title?

In the first few sentences I thought it was going in a pessimistic, we-are-nothing direction, but instead it ended in a sort of poignant sweetness. It's perfect.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Salty

This one made me feel as good as my best science classes. Like when I had "gotten" certain things in Astronomy. Few things compare, you know?
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

Captain Utopia

It made me think of Carl Sagan talking about "star stuff", but better.

Eater of Clowns

I liked it, Hoops.  It reminded me of Pinbacker from Sunshine minus the overt religion.

QuoteAt the end of time, a moment will come when just one man remains, then the moment will pass. Man will be gone. There will be nothing to show that we were ever here but stardust.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Kai

I love writing that speaks of both human insignificance and specialness. Because we're both, really, both insignificant and special.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 12, 2010, 09:30:56 PM
That was great.

I'm kinda tempted to use that as a tip-in on issue #3 of MSY, if you're interested.

That would be great.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Jenne

I like this one, Hoops.  But then, I've yet to read something of yours I DIDN'T like.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on February 13, 2010, 06:08:30 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 12, 2010, 09:30:56 PM
That was great.

That would be great.

Consider it in.  I'll contact you with the particulars.
Molon Lube

nuclearcabbage

the Happy Birthday at the end made me smile

like this

:)
><><><><><><