News:

Endorsement:  I am not convinced you even understand my concepts of moral relativity, so perhaps it would be best for you not to approach them.

Main Menu

Slack, or something.

Started by Kai, February 15, 2010, 10:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

My advisor has left for the day, hell, the building is nearly all empty by now. Only people left are die hard professors and graduate students like myself.

I've had a shitty day, to be honest. The physiology exam this morning was less than enjoyable, done more or less on an empty stomach, which was promptly followed by a 3 hour seminar and a lunch discussion with the speaker. And I'm feeling like an idiot the entire time. Not that this isn't a normal occurence for me.

This afternoon I was supposed to work on more of the bad ass physiology project but apparently the bacteria got thrown out so....I'm left sitting in my office, all my plans for today out the window.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING HERE?!?! I'm not getting a fucking thing done, I haven't done SHIT this afternoon. I have 8 samples and god knows how many microcaddisflies to identify before the end of the month, I have reading to do up the wazoo, I have a discussion to prepare for tomorrow, a lab to write for wednesday, there's a seminar tonight, and I haven't accomplished a damn thing.

The worst part is, I don't even feel good about it. I don't feel satisfied. I don't feel happy with sitting around feeling tired and depressed and anxious because I feel like my collegues just want to throw me down a hole. Complete paranoia I know, but I'm living in a shell of fucking isolation here. I have maybe one meaningful conversation a day and it just feels like all the minds around me are getting more and more distant.

If I go home, I'm just going to fucking masturbate, probably. Not that schlicking isn't fun, but its about as productive as what I'm doing here, which is to say, not at all.

Also, fuck you.

~Kai
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

What, no response? Not fucking angry enough for Or Kill Me? Not fucking inspired enough, not fucking creative enough? Sounding like the brain dead ennui of some noob?

Fucking do it yourself, then. I've jacked my brain off dry for this toxic cult of academia for one fucking day. I don't have any neurons to spare for wit, because I used them all memorizing how the peritrophic matrix works, and what occult algorhythms are best for divining a phylogeny.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

BabylonHoruv

You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on February 15, 2010, 10:41:05 PM
Fuck you Kai.

No YOU, babylwhat the fuck ever. Come, why don't you expound upon the purpose of Diacylglycerides and Triacylglycerides in insects? Or how about why maximum likelyhood analysis is complete bollocks. Or perhaps you could describe for me the experimental setup to determine the proximate and ultimate reasons for "WHY THE FUCK ARE THESE MONKEYS ON MY PLANET"?

Any of those would be fine.

Jasper

I find setting fires helps me get out of that mood.  Short of actually burning the world building down, legal fires are also nice.  Brings you right back down to earth, pulls you right back inside the human condition.  Start a fire, watch it grow, stare into the flames, maybe meditate.  

Kai

The venting in these threads is working quite well, actually.

But thanks for the tip. You want to be the first to burn? I hear the burning tiems have come again.

Jasper

Quote from: Kai on February 15, 2010, 10:51:04 PM
The venting in these threads is working quite well, actually.

But thanks for the tip. You want to be the first to burn? I hear the burning tiems have come again.

I still have plenty of things to burn, it will be a while until I run out and set myself on fire.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Kai on February 15, 2010, 10:45:23 PM
Fuck you Kai.

No YOU, babylwhat the fuck ever. Come, why don't you expound upon the purpose of Diacylglycerides and Triacylglycerides in insects? Or how about why maximum likelyhood analysis is complete bollocks. Or perhaps you could describe for me the experimental setup to determine the proximate and ultimate reasons for "WHY THE FUCK ARE THESE MONKEYS ON MY PLANET"?

Those two long words that insects have, I don't know what they are and Google won't tell me, so I won't talk about those.

As far as Maximum Likelihood Analysis, that I can talk out my ass about, so I will.

It's a useful technique as long as you know that your sample is actually representative, this is tricky though.  Usually your sample is either gathered from a geographically limited area or has actually been bred in the lab,  That means you are actually only gaining useful information about either that fairly limited geographic area (which may be very very small) or about the sort of conditions used to reproduce the sample in the lab.

So, maybe not complete bollocks, but at least partly tainted by taint.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Kai

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on February 15, 2010, 10:53:34 PM
Quote from: Kai on February 15, 2010, 10:45:23 PM
Fuck you Kai.

Those two long words that insects have, I don't know what they are and Google won't tell me, so I won't talk about those.

As far as Maximum Likelihood Analysis, that I can talk out my ass about, so I will.

It's a useful technique as long as you know that your sample is actually representative, this is tricky though.  Usually your sample is either gathered from a geographically limited area or has actually been bred in the lab,  That means you are actually only gaining useful information about either that fairly limited geographic area (which may be very very small) or about the sort of conditions used to reproduce the sample in the lab.

So, maybe not complete bollocks, but at least partly tainted by taint.

I meant in molecular systematics, but good to know it's bollocks in other areas as well.

also, I meant to say triacylglycerols and diacylglycerols. glyceride, glycerol, whatever. LIPID TYPES.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on February 15, 2010, 10:32:32 PM
My advisor has left for the day, hell, the building is nearly all empty by now. Only people left are die hard professors and graduate students like myself.

I've had a shitty day, to be honest. The physiology exam this morning was less than enjoyable, done more or less on an empty stomach, which was promptly followed by a 3 hour seminar and a lunch discussion with the speaker. And I'm feeling like an idiot the entire time. Not that this isn't a normal occurence for me.

This afternoon I was supposed to work on more of the bad ass physiology project but apparently the bacteria got thrown out so....I'm left sitting in my office, all my plans for today out the window.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING HERE?!?! I'm not getting a fucking thing done, I haven't done SHIT this afternoon. I have 8 samples and god knows how many microcaddisflies to identify before the end of the month, I have reading to do up the wazoo, I have a discussion to prepare for tomorrow, a lab to write for wednesday, there's a seminar tonight, and I haven't accomplished a damn thing.

The worst part is, I don't even feel good about it. I don't feel satisfied. I don't feel happy with sitting around feeling tired and depressed and anxious because I feel like my collegues just want to throw me down a hole. Complete paranoia I know, but I'm living in a shell of fucking isolation here. I have maybe one meaningful conversation a day and it just feels like all the minds around me are getting more and more distant.

If I go home, I'm just going to fucking masturbate, probably. Not that schlicking isn't fun, but its about as productive as what I'm doing here, which is to say, not at all.

Also, fuck you.

~Kai

Go out and see a movie, Kai.  Or make a point of meeting someone new.  In short, take a break...other than going home and staringa t the wall.

Dok,
Knows precisely how you feel.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

If going for a hike is an option, I highly recommend it. It's fun and refreshing and makes you feel good physically. I know that you spend a good deal of time out in the field anyway, but it couldn't hurt to get out and move around in the outdoors.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 15, 2010, 11:42:05 PM

Also, fuck you.

~Kai

Go out and see a movie, Kai.  Or make a point of meeting someone new.  In short, take a break...other than going home and staringa t the wall.

Dok,
Knows precisely how you feel.

Watching a talk on the benefits and detriments of future nanotechnology in the school theater.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on February 16, 2010, 12:03:18 AM
Watching a talk on the benefits and detriments of future nanotechnology in the school theater.

:x

Dok,
Bets it will have the same "benefits" as Monsanto has brought us with genetic engineering.
Molon Lube

Thurnez Isa

Also, fuck you.

~Kai

Do what I did...
take 2 days off (weekend) and stay in bed.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 16, 2010, 12:09:25 AM
Quote from: Kai on February 16, 2010, 12:03:18 AM

:x

Dok,
Bets it will have the same "benefits" as Monsanto has brought us with genetic engineering.

Well, nanotubules of a particular length and width can certainly mimic asbestos.

On the other hand, there are good applications. Little information on the risks of particular materials though, because every nanoparticle of a different size shape and surface area, structure, etc, has a different effect in biological systems, some none, some massive. No stereotypes can be made about them in general, unlike in pesticides where they are toxic overall.

More research is needed. Seems to be the easy way out, but it's true.