News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

Whats That Bug? with Kai.

Started by Kai, February 18, 2010, 03:23:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

This is where you supply photographs of unidentified arthropods and notes like "I found this bug in my bathtub, what is it!?" Then I give you a good answer at some level and a wild guess when it comes to the species.

Go!
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on February 18, 2010, 03:23:51 AM
This is where you supply photographs of unidentified arthropods and notes like "I found this bug in my bathtub, what is it!?" Then I give you a good answer at some level and a wild guess when it comes to the species.

Go!

What kinda bug has 4 leg joints?   :lulz:

Actually, if I can find it, I have a pic of a real weird bugger, took in Nursey's back yard.
Molon Lube

Kai

Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 18, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Go!

Actually, if I can find it, I have a pic of a real weird bugger, took in Nursey's back yard.

1.  :argh!:

2. Cool.

I just have a skill, and I want to share it. For great justice. And tits.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Shame, I don't think I've seen a proper insect since I moved to Portland.  They were like gangbusters in Redwood City though.  Dragonflies, spiders, termite swarms, flies...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 18, 2010, 03:33:31 AM
Shame, I don't think I've seen a proper insect since I moved to Portland.  They were like gangbusters in Redwood City though.  Dragonflies, spiders, termite swarms, flies...

Portland, Oregon?

Because winter isn't a very insecty time of year here. It's about to get a lot more insecty.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

Ok, then maybe I'll have some photos for Kai.

And interesting bite marks in unspeakable places.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Kai on February 18, 2010, 03:29:42 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on February 18, 2010, 03:25:46 AM

Go!

1.  :argh!:

2. Cool.

I just have a skill, and I want to share it. For great justice. And tits.

I have no tits, but I'll consult with Nurse Mayhem. 
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on February 18, 2010, 04:07:34 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on February 18, 2010, 03:33:31 AM

Portland, Oregon?

Because winter isn't a very insecty time of year here. It's about to get a lot more insecty.

The desert is insect heaven.  At least weird insect heaven.

Will get pics.
Molon Lube

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 18, 2010, 04:14:05 AM
Ok, then maybe I'll have some photos for Kai.

And interesting bite marks in unspeakable places.

Did you see my spider bite last summer? EPIC.

The bugs here are not large, as a rule, but numerous and varied.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Jasper

I don't mind spider bites, as long as they're not deadly and have the decency to do it while I'm sleeping.

It's the experience of being bitten by something that alien that really bothers me.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 18, 2010, 04:21:37 AM
I don't mind spider bites, as long as they're not deadly and have the decency to do it while I'm sleeping.

It's the experience of being bitten by something that alien that really bothers me.

Have I told you about the tape worm fetishists that I found here?
Molon Lube

Jasper

Yes.

Thanks for reminding me of that particular failure of mankind.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Sigmatic on February 18, 2010, 04:26:37 AM
Yes.

Thanks for reminding me of that particular failure of mankind.

I exist to serve.  Have I mentioned that I found worse?
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

(Kai, thread split on request, for my spagging.)
Molon Lube

Jasper

Eesh.

Anyway, I recall seeing a really weird spider down in CA, it was fat and unusual and kinda bumpy or hairy.  It was living in a wood pile.  I never saw it again, wish I could have gotten a picture.