An Error Has Occurred!

Started by ~, February 20, 2010, 12:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~

An Error Has Occurred!

Payne

Pope Pixie Pickle

White and red pudding confuses me.

I'd never heard of red pudding before going to a chippy in Stonehaven.

Suu

My mum used to make black pudding. :vom:

Crazy Irish woman.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Payne

QuoteRed pudding is a meat dish served mainly only at chip shops in parts of Scotland as an alternative to fish (see fish and chips). The ingredients consist of bacon, beef, port, pork rind, suet, rusks, spices, salt, beef stock, beef fat and colouring.

This clumpy red coloured food is then formed into a large sausage-like shape of roughly eight inches in length, no different to its black and white pudding family. To encase it, the food is coated thick in batter and then deep fried, ready to be taken away served hot. Bought on its own it is known as a single red, or when accompanied by chips it is known as a red pudding supper.

The taste is said to be similar to a saveloy, a type of pork sausage, though battered sausage is also served in Scotland (in addition to red pudding on menus) that could be more akin to saveloy.

There is also a Red Pudding which is made entirely of pork, is highly seasoned, and is made made in a ring the same as black pudding. It is very finely minced, and identified by being in a red casing, just as black pudding is sold in a black casing. This was traditionally made by "German" pork butchers in parts of Scotland, mostly on the East coast.

This red pudding is completely different from the red pudding available in chip shops. It was traditionally cooked for breakfast, often replacing sausages.

Some red puddings do not taste like saveloy as they has no smoked meat in them, rather a large amount of pepper, and are quite pale in colour.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I've got no idea, scouse spag.

Pixie is too scared to ask just in case it was deep fried in batter!

Bella

Soo not eating that, HFLS!   

just like in a dream
you'll open your mouth to scream
and you won't make a sound

you can't believe your eyes
you can't believe your ears
you can't believe your friends
you can't believe you're here

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Hmmmmm. I have a sausage stuffer...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Nast

"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

Because I may have reasons to hire.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

BLOOD FOR THE SAUSAGE GOD!

Jenne

Actually, in reading all the ingredients, it doesn't sound all that bad.

PeregrineBF

Black pudding is good. My biggest problem would be getting the blood. Though I think I know a place near me that might sell it.

Edit: Haggis:
Ingredients

* 1 sheep stomach
    * 1 sheep liver
    * 1 sheep heart
    * 1 sheep tongue
    * 1/2 pound suet, minced
    * 3 medium onions, minced
    * 1/2 pound dry oats, toasted
    * 1 teaspoon kosher salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1 teaspoon dried ground herbs

Directions

Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water.

Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours. Remove and mince. Remove any gristle or skin and discard.

In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds. Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture. Sew or tie the stomach closed. Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times. This will prevent the haggis from bursting.

In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash. Cook over high heat for 3 hours.

Freeky