News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

The Eris Look

Started by hooplala, February 22, 2010, 08:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooplala

Most images of Eris seem to depict her as a typical Greek goddess, but wouldn't she really have been even more martial that Athene?  Helmet and spear, etc?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Personally, I think 'dagger hidden in her bosom' is a far more apt styling. A helmet and spear puts her as a leader of warriors. Chaos never leads the war though... it wanders in afterward and makes tiny, deadly stabs at whatever survived. The army cannot follow Discord or Confusion, but discord and confusion precede war, quite often.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

Hmm.  That's a thought.

Funny that they describe her in the PD as clutching a dagger to her bosom, but I've not found a single image of her in this guise.

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Probably because they made it up.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

NotPublished

I think Eris should look like a Proper Lady, but with a million cats
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Salty

Some of the imagery of the gods are universal. God of War = Weapons, Rage-Face, Athleticism.

God of Strife and Disorder would be more multifarious since that means so many different things to so many different people. Ugly crone, maniacal laughing bitch taking pleasure at your misfortune, sexy tease.

But I don't really know a whole lot about Greek Mythology.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Dimocritus

I can't remember where I heard this, but wasn't she depicted as kind of an old crabby crone?
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

hooplala

You probably read it in the PD... I've yet to find evidence of that persona.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

-Kel-

Quote from: Alty on February 22, 2010, 09:36:57 PM
Some of the imagery of the gods are universal. God of War = Weapons, Rage-Face, Athleticism.

God of Strife and Disorder would be more multifarious since that means so many different things to so many different people. Ugly crone, maniacal laughing bitch taking pleasure at your misfortune, sexy tease.

But I don't really know a whole lot about Greek Mythology.

total sexy manical tease drapped in ripped robes with wild hair the you just want to pull on.  :evil: :evil:

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

This is the only ancient image of Eris I've ever seen:

until I Googled today and also found these:

From this page:

http://www.theoi.com/Daimon/Eris.html

Pretty fucking cool.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

hooplala

Thanks Nigel... that first image is my desktop image at work.

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Also from that page:

QuoteTHE FABLE OF ERIS & HERACLES

Aesop, Fables 534 (from Chambry 129) (trans. Gibbs) (Greek fable C6th B.C.) :
"Herakles was making his way through a narrow pass. He saw something that looked like an apple lying on the ground and he tried to smash it with his club. After having been struck by the club, the thing swelled up to twice its size. Herakles struck it again with his club, even harder than before, and the thing then expanded to such a size that it blocked Herakles's way. Herakles let go of his club and stood there, amazed. Athena saw him and said, `O Herakles, don't be so surprised! This thing that has brought about your confusion is Aporia (Contentiousness) and Eris (Strife). If you just leave it alone, it stays small; but if you decide to fight it, then it swells from its small size and grows large.'"

hooplala

"Do I contradict myself?
— Walt Whitman

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I noticed one thing for sure, which is that Eris is DUSKY and has CURLY HAIR!

And kind of a big nose.

I was also interested to note that the contents of Pandora's Box were Eris' children.