News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

It's all over but the show trials.

Started by Requia ☣, February 25, 2010, 07:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/us/24scotus.html

QuoteMs. Kagan gave examples of prohibited conduct. A lawyer would commit a crime, she said, by filing a friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of a terrorist group. Helping such a group petition international bodies is also a crime, she added.

Note that Ms. Kagan is not some dumb uneducated wingnut.  She is the solicitor general of the United States, appointed by a supposedly liberal president, and arguing in front of the supreme court.

So trying to provide someone accused of terrorism with a fair trial is now terrorism.

You are all doomed, I'll probably die from laughter within the week.   :horrormirth:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Jenne

Interesting. So the money that the Afghan Doctors Association (that my husband and his father belong to) had to pay the Talibs as a bribe to get the hospitals built in Kabul and in the countryside 10 years ago would be prosecutable.  This was in my Master's thesis, btw.  I recorded the Afghan Doctors Association of So Cal discussing the bribes they were paying the Talibs to get the clinics started up.  They had no choice back then.  

But now that the situation has OBVIOUSLY changed over there (yeah, uh huh), how do they proceed to weed out that sort of thing?  Interesting.

Also:  WORST SCOTUS EVAR

Requia ☣

That kind of thing is exactly what they're trying to prosecute people for.  That they want to extend it to your husbands theoretical lawyers is what makes me laugh till I pass out.

Doktor Howl

QuoteJustice Anthony M. Kennedy, the court's most consistent defender of First Amendment freedoms, said, "This is a difficult case for me."

Support of any kind, Justice Kennedy said, "will ultimately inure to the benefit of a terrorist organization, and we have a governmental interest in not allowing that."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Molon Lube

Juana

Funny. The Supreme Court has struck this kind of thing down before. I'm hoping they'll keep doing that.

Hamdan v. Rumsfeld
Quote from: articleMilitary commission to try Plaintiff is illegal and lacking the protections required under the Geneva Conventions and United States Uniform Code of Military Justice.

There's other cases, too. Rasul v. Bush, Al Odah v. United States, and Boumediene v. Bush but those specifically deal with Guantanamo detainees, though essentially the same arguments.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Demon Sheep on February 25, 2010, 08:55:08 PM
Funny. The Supreme Court has struck this kind of thing down before. I'm hoping they'll keep doing that.

Hamdan v. Rumsfeld
Quote from: articleMilitary commission to try Plaintiff is illegal and lacking the protections required under the Geneva Conventions and United States Uniform Code of Military Justice.

There's other cases, too. Rasul v. Bush, Al Odah v. United States, and Boumediene v. Bush but those specifically deal with Guantanamo detainees, though essentially the same arguments.

That's okay.  The executive branch will just keep ignoring the court, as it's done for the last 7-8 years.
Molon Lube

Juana

"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Requia ☣

Quote from: Requia ☣ on February 25, 2010, 07:55:07 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/24/us/24scotus.html

QuoteMs. Kagan gave examples of prohibited conduct. A lawyer would commit a crime, she said, by filing a friend-of-the-court brief on behalf of a terrorist group. Helping such a group petition international bodies is also a crime, she added.

Note that Ms. Kagan is not some dumb uneducated wingnut.  She is the solicitor general of the United States, appointed by a supposedly liberal president, and arguing in front of the supreme court.

So trying to provide someone accused of terrorism with a fair trial is now terrorism.

You are all doomed, I'll probably die from laughter within the week.   :horrormirth:

Bump, cause Ms. Kagan just got nominated to the Supreme court.

Edit: apparently its not official yet, but some papers are reporting that she will be nominated later today.

Requia ☣

Ok, now she's got the nomination officially.

I'm not sure if I should laugh or weep.  :horrormirth:

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Requia ☣

And we're not even a year into it.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on May 10, 2010, 06:50:06 PM
And we're not even a year into it.

Yeah, and I don't know how they're going to top busting lawyers for assisting with a defense, but I am certain they will.

:lulz:
Molon Lube

LMNO

We should take bets on how many "liberal" congressmen will stand up and say, "hey, wait a second..."

Requia ☣

1 or 2.

Both of them will lose in November.

I checked up on the case in the OP, apparently SCOTUS still hasn't decided if giving accused criminals legal advice is constitutional or not.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on May 10, 2010, 07:03:28 PM
We should take bets on how many "liberal" congressmen will stand up and say, "hey, wait a second..."

Russ Feingold.

And.

Um.
Molon Lube