News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Dr Howl - Can mad science fix the music industry?

Started by Mangrove, February 27, 2010, 01:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mangrove

Quote from: E.O.T. on March 03, 2010, 09:45:27 PM
HAVE YOU GUYZ

ever heard

OF

experimental music?

Is 'experimental' is a euphemism for 'self indulgent sonic obnoxiousness'?

I can handle chaos, noise & abstraction in music so long as it's not all the time and the people making it aren't trying to convince me that it's 'the future'.

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions  :D
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mangrove on March 04, 2010, 09:20:07 PM
Quote from: E.O.T. on March 03, 2010, 09:45:27 PM
HAVE YOU GUYZ

ever heard

OF

experimental music?

Is 'experimental' is a euphemism for 'self indulgent sonic obnoxiousness'?

I can handle chaos, noise & abstraction in music so long as it's not all the time and the people making it aren't trying to convince me that it's 'the future'.

Otherwise, I'm open to suggestions  :D

In my (very) limited experience, it means "I want to call myself a musician, but I can't be arsed to learn how to play an instrument".  Of course, my sole experience with this was Enki's "French experimental music" binge on RFD.
Molon Lube

E.O.T.

ADMITTEDLY

my comment itself could be said to fit the self indulgent & obnoxious category

BUTT

I meant it in all seriousness. there are totally people ("artists") who can't help but bend the boundaries of what we call music, its structure & output. Until the most recent decades, the bulk of musical experimentalists came from the classical school like Partch or Cage. Even before them, Skriabin perhaps wasn't that strange to HEAR but how he wanted to perform and the settings he desired people to HEAR in, were uncommon, if not impossible. And of course, fluxus artists Joseph Beuys or Milan Knizak extended their thoughts to what either could be recorded as music or appear in familiar music format. Somewhere in between occur the 'Aktionists' i guess. Contemporary "experimental" may include the 'noise' genre, but certainly isn't limited at all to guys with guitar pedals and contact mikes. There is so much happening on the "fringes" of music that I don't know if I could begin to scratch the surface by listing names here. Whether the sound attempt is through technological means/ devices or alternate settings or purpose in music performance, the shit is going on. The war has already started, as they say.

WHERE

the radio or mtv are never going to promote such artists as legit, creative types really do exist. Some people who make "music" are assholes (for sure), but mostly I've found that artists support each other and encourage creativity. And as covered in the "avante-garde" music thread, other people call it experimental, for the most part, not the artists themselves.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Doktor Howl

I'm all about people taking music in new directions.  Otherwise, we'd still be listening to Lawrence Welk, and who the fuck wants that?

But if they're just making noise, they should experiment in private, and wash their hands when they're done.
Molon Lube