News:

Testimonial: "None of you seem aware of quite how bad you are. I mean I'm pretty outspoken on how bad the internet has gotten, but this is up there with the worst."

Main Menu

ITT: you suggest to me cheap non-budweiser beer

Started by bob-o, March 10, 2010, 02:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob-o

ok folks, the situation is that if i want a good beer, i know what to get. if i want quantity over quality, what cheap beer can be had that doesn't taste like excessively fizzy beer-flavored soda? anything with any substance that doesn't cost too much?

BOB-O

BEER SNOBS! A REDNECK ANSWER TO WINE SNOBS!
"the use of fasteners is to be next to godliness" - R.H.Howes

Eater of Clowns

Yeungling if you're in an area that has it.
Narragansett if you're in an area that has it.
Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

E.O.T.

I'VE HAD THAT YEUNGLING STUFF

and it's pretty frickin great. Probably only "Bud" cheap when it's close to home though.

MY PERSONAL FAVE

currently is BALTIKA "9 grade"(see beer thread) in the 51oz bottle. Total win, 51oz's for 3.99, 8% (yeah!!) and tasty as hell.

"a good fight justifies any cause"

Suu

Dundee Honey Brown. That's the cheapest microbrew we can get here, and it's GOOD.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

fogukaup

Quote from: E.O.T. on March 10, 2010, 02:42:40 AM

I'VE HAD THAT YEUNGLING STUFF

and it's pretty frickin great. Probably only "Bud" cheap when it's close to home though.

MY PERSONAL FAVE

currently is BALTIKA "9 grade"(see beer thread) in the 51oz bottle. Total win, 51oz's for 3.99, 8% (yeah!!) and tasty as hell.

Baltika is yummy. Red Stripe is another unoffensive bargain. 

Sir Squid Diddimus

Dale's Pale Ale and Mama's little yellow pils (both oskar blues brewery)
Hoffbrau
Magic Hat number 9
Sam Adams has some ok stuff sometimes
Allagash White
Sierra Nevada (sorta)
Hoegaarden
Wittekerke (cheapest of all these i think)

LMNO

Quote from: bob-o on March 10, 2010, 02:07:00 AM
ok folks, the situation is that if i want a good beer, i know what to get. if i want quantity over quality, what cheap beer can be had that doesn't taste like excessively fizzy beer-flavored soda? anything with any substance that doesn't cost too much?

BOB-O

BEER SNOBS! A REDNECK ANSWER TO WINE SNOBS!

Nova Schin (Brazilian)
Schlitz
Black Label

East Coast Hustle

I think you guys are missing the point, as most of these suggestions are still sold by the 6-pack and not the 30-pack.

also, PBR is both absolutely disgusting and only for consumption by shitneck hipsters.

I usually go with Busch when I wanna drink something cheap from a can, although Miller High Life (champagne of beers, baby!) is also quite drinkable.

that said, if you're in an area where you can get either of them, Yuengling, Iron City, and the immortal Rainier are probably the best cheap american-brewed beers around, they're just not distributed nationwide.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I am pretty keen on Iron City and Miller High Life, for cheap beers.

Although it's true, nothing touches Baltika #9 for pure kick-ass.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

-Kel-

well now, if i want the really cheep beer i go for Coors light or rolling rock.

Triple Zero

Grolsch and Hertog Jan are pretty damn good and don't really cost you an arm and a leg ... over here :-P

If you want cheaper go for the Schultenbrau cans, unlike the Albert Heijn storebrand cans they don't contain sugar additives but just beer ingredients.

This information is useless if you don't live in the Netherlands.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pope Pixie Pickle

I like the sierra Nevada. Its not cheap here tho.

Red stripe in this country is awful.

Grolsch is bad in cans here, the traditional flip top bottle is where its at.
Being on meds means beer is rationed. My one beer of the week better be a good one or imma be :crankey:

I hate cheap lager as a rule, cos there is too much crap in it in the UK.

fogukaup

is hams the equivalent to pabst in quality and hipshit?

East Coast Hustle

not as hipster, but also even less drinkable IMO.

YMMV, however. And I haven't tasted Hamm's in many years so it's possible that it's improved.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 11, 2010, 04:20:21 AM
not as hipster, but also even less drinkable IMO.

YMMV, however. And I haven't tasted Hamm's in many years so it's possible that it's improved.

Nope... not in the slightest. It's the water of beers!
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."