News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

ITT: you suggest to me cheap non-budweiser beer

Started by bob-o, March 10, 2010, 02:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: bob-o on March 12, 2010, 01:12:15 AM
ooh, ooh, question from the beer noob:

what's the difference between malt liquor and beer? i had some Old English once and it was quite good.

BOB-O

Well blow me down, but this is pretty accurate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malt_liquor

also:
"Beers are either "top fermented" or "bottom fermented." Porters, ales, and stouts are top fermented and malt liquor is bottom fermented, which means the wort (the resulting brew of malt, prepared cereals like corn or rice, hops and water) is fermented by yeast of the bottom fermentation type (i.e. yeast which settles to the bottom of the fermenting tanks). Top fermenting yeast does the opposite. Malt liquor is made from a wort containing a high percentage of fermentable sugars which makes it slightly sweeter and a bit spicy in flavor and also raises the alcohol content."

So really, you could technically call most bottom fermented, high ABV "beer" with malted barley a "malt liquor". And if you look on most of the labels of the newer microbrews they'll even say "malt beverage" or something similar to that.

I think the malt liquors we all know and loathe were just cheaply made abv boosted roasted malt beverages made with crap ingredients to keep cost down and get you wasted.

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 11, 2010, 11:07:41 PM
Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 11, 2010, 05:07:32 PM
just remember: anything that's NOT sold in a 30-pack of cans has no place ITT.

I am pretty sure you cannot buy 30-packs of cans in Oregon.

Thanks, OLCC!

I'm pretty sure the 30-rack of Busch 3 feet away from me proves you wrong. :ECH:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Quote from: Turdley Burgleson on March 11, 2010, 07:56:33 AM
I saw a tall boy of something called Żywiec tonight that was only 3 bucks at the bar. So it has to be cheap in the stores if you can find it.
They were calling it "the Polish PBR".

Never had it, but it looked worth a try.

Zywiec is fucking DELICIOUS.
I cant get it anymore here, though, I havent been able to find it in a couple years.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 07:44:35 AM

Thanks, OLCC!

I'm pretty sure the 30-rack of Busch 3 feet away from me proves you wrong. :ECH:

No shit! I've only seen 24-packs.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Malt Liquor is totally on my list of stuff to taste when I'm ever in America. I really wonder how it measures up against your average tripel or "strong beer", which has about the same ABV (8-11% with the strongest I've seen at 13% called Beelzebub)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

maphdet

Holy shit I had nearly forgot about Mickey's-oh the memories. LoL

Yeah-I usually just go for coors light for the cheap beer.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 12, 2010, 06:47:51 PM

Thanks, OLCC!

Hawthorne Freddy's sells 30-racks for sure. Don't know about anywhere else, since I live within walking distance of the Hawthorne Freddy's and thus have no NEED to know about anywhere else.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

LMNO

For the record, American Malt Liquor tastes similar to American Lager, only slightly sweeter.

So, think of it as a Miller High Life with a pinch of sugar and a kick like a mule.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 12, 2010, 07:20:40 PM
Quote from: Calamity Nigel on March 12, 2010, 06:47:51 PM

Thanks, OLCC!

Hawthorne Freddy's sells 30-racks for sure. Don't know about anywhere else, since I live within walking distance of the Hawthorne Freddy's and thus have no NEED to know about anywhere else.

I only live walking-distance from Whole Foods. :( I'm hosed.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

East Coast Hustle

Hatin' it. But at least it's not New Seasons.

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Quote from: bob-o on March 10, 2010, 02:07:00 AM
ok folks, the situation is that if i want a good beer, i know what to get. if i want quantity over quality, what cheap beer can be had that doesn't taste like excessively fizzy beer-flavored soda? anything with any substance that doesn't cost too much?

BOB-O

BEER SNOBS! A REDNECK ANSWER TO WINE SNOBS!

Steel Reserve. You're welcome.

AFK

For the inexpensive stuff, I'm a fan of Rolling Rock and Heineken.  Something about the green bottles I suppose. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

E.O.T.

Quote from: Ten Ton Mantis on March 13, 2010, 12:51:17 AM
Quote from: bob-o on March 10, 2010, 02:07:00 AM
ok folks, the situation is that if i want a good beer, i know what to get. if i want quantity over quality, what cheap beer can be had that doesn't taste like excessively fizzy beer-flavored soda? anything with any substance that doesn't cost too much?

BOB-O

BEER SNOBS! A REDNECK ANSWER TO WINE SNOBS!

Steel Reserve. You're welcome.

THIS!

and yes

WHEN

all the piss swill like Pabst/ Old German/ Blitz just isn't cutting it, because you have to drink 27 cans to get that special high - the maltz are where it's at! Tastes like shit, but fucking love it!! Mickeys, Steel Reserve, Big Bear, Siver Ice and (MF!!) Black Ice ('clockin in at almost 11%)! Five bucks and 80oz's later...
"a good fight justifies any cause"

BADGE OF HONOR

Coors Lite, I'd rather go for something that doesn't taste like anything at all than something that tastes like pee.  Besides, if you're shitcanned (and if you're buying a 30pk you better be) the quality doesn't matter at all.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I really don't understand how anyone can GET drunk on anything that comes in a 30-pack. That's the shit I drink when I'm trying to extend a long evening without getting more than a faint buzz.