News:

If you can't abuse it, it's not power.

Main Menu

fuck you utah legislature

Started by -Kel-, March 10, 2010, 04:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Kel-

public education is seeing a reduction of about $10 million
there is no new funding to educate an estimated 11,000 new students who are expected to be enrolling in Utah's public schools in the fall. The state already has the lowest per-pupil spending in the nation.
the cut to education means $8 million less for new school buildings, no state money for new library books next year, the elimination of a science and math program for educators and a number of smaller cuts to programs such as school nursing, concurrent enrollment and the state's electronic high school.
education funding would need to increase 20% to catch the next lowest state here. more and more roads were built, paid for an olympics, built a soccer stadium the voters voted down. So now, utah has a championship soccer team and the best commute in the country, and being stupid enough to vote these asshole fossils back into office over and over. This bare bones budget means students get you a bares bones education. Education will be the driving force in our economy for the years to come and the utah legislature just bent over everyone in the education system for a nice ass raping with no lube.

we have another freeway system being built in a subburn of salt lake called lehi. They were going to make it a toll road to pay for the construction, buuuttt nooooo because of the surplus the state got it doesn't have to!!! WTF!!!! that money could of been put towards education!!!! NOT ANOTHER FUCKING ROAD!!!!!

:mad: :crankey: :nuke:

BADGE OF HONOR

Oh, and that's only the beginning.  This year has been particularly bad for wackjob statement bills.  Like this one.

Ugh.
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

-Kel-

asdjfapogjkallfajfjasl;roiearjfa

afiofhaeiugjbuairgfa

-Kel-

LETS JUST KEEP LOWERING THE BAR!!!

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14644300

yeah might look like a good idea and it helps in some areas. but in reality the education system is ssooooooo  fucked that instead of improving it the state is just gonna keep cutting more and more!!!!

East Coast Hustle

y'know, there's a school of thought that says that's what you get for living and paying taxes in Utah.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

cavehamster

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 10, 2010, 07:39:27 PM
y'know, there's a school of thought that says that's what you get for living and paying taxes in Utah.

Not everyone in Utah meant to end up here.

One small 'victory' is that the bill that would have made it a criminal offense for a woman to have a miscarriage got neutered down a bit and now states that it is only a criminal offense if an abortion is not carried out by a doctor in a clinic.  For those not in the know, this is a knee jerk reaction to some moronic woman who paid a guy $300 to basically falcon punch a baby out of her.  The guy got put behind bars, but the legislators were pissed off that they could find no law to charge the woman with something, so they decided to make one up.  The first version of it said, bluntly paraphrased, 'lose your baby, goto jail' with no real definition of what that may mean.

And also, thankfully Buttar's idea of eliminating the 12th grade got shot down.

But on the wtf side, residents in un-incorporated parts of Salt Lake county are now getting monthly in-the-mail bills for police service.  Not even kidding: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=9865506  $174 a year for the typical household.  If you don't pay, they levy a lien against your property.  Guess cutting back on the number of jackbooted cops was not an option to fit into the budget, so those folks are now being taxed and having to pay a bill.

One of the 'message' bills Utah signed the other day would take back a large amount of Federal land by right of eminent domain to the State of Utah.  The idea here is that the state, who is facing all these budget issues, wants this bill to have to be challenged by the Supreme Court, because they feel they could be making billions of bucks with this land to pay for schools.  Of course, what I am getting out of this is that they want to take this uninhabitable, middle of no where land that is currently part of national parks and under the ownership of the American public, parcel it up, and sell it off, to pay for shit we probably don't need, with a tiny bit going to the schools.  Bear in mind that a huge part of Utah is owned by the Federal government, but really... a huge part of Utah is really seriously uninhabitable unless you really, really want it bad enough.

Another minor annoyance to me is that there is no such thing as a 'local' cop, sorta.  All cops are by default state cops, so they can cross jurisdictions and hand out punishment.  And of course, some things are legal here, and not there, like making a U-turn is illegal in Murray, but OK in Salt Lake...

Plus add in just how badly the Mormons hate gay marriage (but they just came out in support of adding being gay as a banned item for landlords to use as discrimination for housing), and how the church continues to buy up land and buildings downtown (but it's ok, they are gonna lease them out, of course to entities they feel are OK, right?)... Gah.

I don't know that it is really any better elsewhere, but sometimes the crap that goes on in Utah makes you just angry.

Man, this got me all worked up.

East Coast Hustle

Yeah, actually, it's better in alot of other places. Given that in current-day America there is no real restriction on your freedom to move internally about the country, there's really no excuse for staying in Utah.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 10, 2010, 09:13:25 PM
Yeah, actually, it's better in alot of other places. Given that in current-day America there is no real restriction on your freedom to move internally about the country, there's really no excuse for staying in Utah.

We dug the Grand Canyon to keep them from coming South.

Didn't work.  We're up to our arses in Mormons.
Molon Lube

cavehamster

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 10, 2010, 09:16:44 PM

We dug the Grand Canyon to keep them from coming South.

Didn't work.  We're up to our arses in Mormons.

After years of looking, I am finally at a job that pays well and I really enjoy, in a niche market, and the company is located in Utah.  That's how I got here, and that's my reason for staying.  The hassle of living here is not all that high, and, there are mountains very nearby and lots of things to do, so I'm willing to put up with it.

Besides, someone has to take the machine down from the inside before it moves to encompass more area, eh?  :P

Plus, Mormons are now a minority in Salt Lake City proper (but a huge majority in rural parts).  They are mostly 'powerful' due to the requirement to have a large family and automatically deduct 10% of your paycheck right to the church... can't convert them, breed them.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: cavehamster on March 10, 2010, 09:19:51 PM
Besides, someone has to take the machine down from the inside before it moves to encompass more area, eh?  :P

Nobody really does that.  They keep saying they will, even years and years later, when they're part of the problem.  The only one that really DID do that was Canaris, and they fuckinged him good.

Molon Lube

Cain

And Fouche and Talleyrand, but Talleyrand was a Magnificent Bastard and expert survivour and Fouche was, well, just a bastard.  Sheer concentrated bastardry.

-Kel-

Quote from: Doktor Howl on March 10, 2010, 09:26:55 PM
Quote from: cavehamster on March 10, 2010, 09:19:51 PM

Nobody really does that. 

slc mayor did

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/03/22/us/22rocky_lg.jpg

East Coast Hustle

yeah, and what an impact it had.

-Kel-

Quote from: Emerald City Hustle on March 10, 2010, 09:46:51 PM
yeah, and what an impact it had.

have you ever lived in Utah or SLC or even visited here?

Requia ☣

nobody gets out of Utah, its as bad as Tuscon.

I've been trying to get the cash and job offers necessary to get out of here for 4 years now.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.