News:

Endorsement from MysticWicks: "The most fatuous, manipulative, and venomous people to be found here are all of the discordian genre."

Main Menu

Immortal Jellyfish!

Started by Suu, March 19, 2010, 04:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

What an awesome band name.

Also:

http://green.yahoo.com/blog/guest_bloggers/26/the-world-s-only-immortal-animal.html

QuoteSince it is capable of cycling from a mature adult stage to an immature polyp stage and back again, there may be no natural limit to its life span. Scientists say the hydrozoan jellyfish is the only known animal that can repeatedly turn back the hands of time and revert to its polyp state (its first stage of life).
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Captain Utopia

That's pretty bizarre.  But neat.

NotPublished

what animals eat jelly fish?
In Soviet Russia, sins died for Jesus.

Freeky

Quote from: NotPublished on June 29, 2010, 02:52:34 AM

Squid, maybe, and other ocean animals.

Cainad (dec.)

Sea turtles do. Which is why they try to gulp down plastic bags and make marine life enthusiasts cry.

Nephew Twiddleton

THat's neat, seems like something out of a sci-fi book. I for one, welcome our jellyfish overlords. Once they grown legs and opposable thumbs of course.

Is this a fairly recent development? (Evolution wise)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

NotPublished

Maybe they'll turn into those brain things at mass effect?

Reginald Ret

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 29, 2010, 04:05:50 AM
That's neat, seems like something out of a sci-fi book. I for one, welcome our jellyfish overlords. Once they grown legs and opposable thumbs of course.

Is this a fairly recent development? (Evolution wise)
I seem to remember that ageing is a fairly recent development.
All living things used to be immortal.
Of course, this was before the higher forms of live developed.
I assume this species' ability developed again instead of it being a remainder of the past.

so in short: all simple species don't age. All higher(not implying that they are actually better, I'm just talking about an increased level of complexity) species age, and this species learned to reverse the ageing process.
OK, so that wasn't that short.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

They sell it at the local asian supermarket here :D I guess I'll have to try. I bet it won't taste like much except the pickle or brine it is kept in.

Also I keep reading this thread is "Immoral Jellyfish", and keep wondering wtf that could mean.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

THIS JELLYFISH DOES NOT RESPECT HIS ELDERS!

NotPublished

your eating immortal ... things!

What would they taste like ... kinda curious.

But if a complex life form reversed the aging process, or 'started again' wouldn't it necessarily forget everything? Since its just uh collapsing and re-forming the brain?

Kai

Quote from: NotPublished on June 29, 2010, 01:07:24 PM

But if a complex life form reversed the aging process, or 'started again' wouldn't it necessarily forget everything? Since its just uh collapsing and re-forming the brain?

Hydrozoans don't have brains.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Kai on June 29, 2010, 01:46:15 PM
Quote from: NotPublished on June 29, 2010, 01:07:24 PM

Hydrozoans don't have brains.

But hypothetically if a primate did it, would they unlearn everything?
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

LMNO

Would a blue dream sneeze like an ashtray?

Reginald Ret

This.
twid: Your question makes no sense.
Even if you somehow manage to force it to happen, your subject would die. Instantly.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"