News:

PD.com: You're safer in New Bedford.

Main Menu

Intermittens: To the Editor

Started by Placid Dingo, March 21, 2010, 10:16:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Placid Dingo

Just wondering, something I'd like to throw into my edition, and could fit nicely into other editions (possibly phobia, depending on what Peleus thinks/is at) is a consistent email address that can be used for a letters to the editor kind of thing. Whoever did whatever edition could use these, ignore these, mock them, put them in the margins, whatever.

Obviously, with multiple editors without much centre of control, this is more challenging to set up. One email address that changes hands will eventually have shithouse security problems, and one person controlling a single email address and doing send outs manually doesn't seem to be in the spirit of things.

I think there's some ways to set up a mailing list that anyone can suscribe to, and if you send an email to that address it'll go into the weekly list.. but i'm not sure how to set that up.

Just having a forum section, or doing it via twitter also crossed my mind, but Email really gives a wider range of people a chance to send something out.

Any ideas on the practicalities of this?
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

the last yatto

well the most secure method would be to have pd host a forwarding email...
mittens @ principiadiscordia.com
that forwards it to the editors
say cram, myself and anyone else

thus emails added to the list get messages sent to it.
i believe the main site has some features but i never messed with it...
i neglect our wiki too :(
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Placid Dingo

1. Who would be able to set something like that?

2. WOuld there be a way that people could connect themselves to the recieved emails so there's instant access for those who desire it? Or perhaps could they be instantly poseted to a URL or some such?

Rococo Modem Basilisk

Quote from: Placid Dingo on March 21, 2010, 10:49:46 AM
1. Who would be able to set something like that?

2. WOuld there be a way that people could connect themselves to the recieved emails so there's instant access for those who desire it? Or perhaps could they be instantly poseted to a URL or some such?

If someone in charge of the PD domain doesn't step up and volunteer, I have a set of forwards. However, tbh, a forward wouldn't be that great. A lot of the time, there are several different issues being made at the same time, by different editors, etc. If we set up a forwarding system, the most make-sense thing to forward it to would probably be an auto-post blog or something, so that anyone editing could pick and choose (and then request already used letters to be deleted by a blog owner). However, that means that the letters to the editor will be public and such.

Maybe one of the people involved with intermittens.org can set up an internal mailbox that just lets editors look at a hidden list of letters-to-the-editor the same way that editors can now read and choose public submissions?

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Placid Dingo

I like that, but at this point i dont think the .org site is so well looked after. There's still no issue 8.
No offence if that's someone here who looks after it.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

If I remember correctly, that'd be Ratatosk. If I remember correctly, he also runs (or helps run, or something) the Maybe Logic Academy site.

I have a tendency to remember incorrectly, though.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

That would be me... except I haven't been specifically paying attention and generally expcet editors to say "hey, here is Issue X"...

So, uh.. editors of issues not on the site... send me your PDF's.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Rococo Modem Basilisk

http://tr.im/intermittens8 is the link, I think.

Any chance of the letters-to-the-editor thing happening?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Enki v. 2.0 on March 22, 2010, 02:06:45 PM
http://tr.im/intermittens8 is the link, I think.

Any chance of the letters-to-the-editor thing happening?

Sure... maybe we can add a submission form to the site... or ssomething.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Dimocritus

Seeing how every issue is done by someone else, maybe just start a "letters to the editor" thread. People can post all sorts of bizarre questions and who ever is running the current issue can browse through and answer any that may be relevant to their topic.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

the last yatto

id prefer an inbox that gets neglected and then after awhile some spag notices a good handful of mail that must suddenly be use in their issue
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Rococo Modem Basilisk

That's pretty much the submission process now, isn't it? A bunch of stuff sits unused and possibly untagged for some future editor?

Placid Dingo

Quote from: dimo on March 22, 2010, 03:39:45 PM
Seeing how every issue is done by someone else, maybe just start a "letters to the editor" thread. People can post all sorts of bizarre questions and who ever is running the current issue can browse through and answer any that may be relevant to their topic.

The entire point of what I'm looking at though is it makes an easy method of submission for people who aren't already part of the Discordian scene, or this particular Discordian clumping. It all gives some (optional) consistancy to the magazine, for eds who are into that. I'd like there to be a real door into the magazine that lets potential readers, interactors to join in on the fun, or ask questions, promote events, have a whinge, etc. Hence the email address.

In terms of the possibility of the mailing list things (you suscribe to read, email the list to be be read) who knows anything about the set up for that? Because I think that's also a possibilty, and if things get more set up it could just be forwarded to the mittens address as well.

the last yatto

with the exception of the first 5, the rest of the set wasnt really every other month...

infact ive lagged a bit on mine to the point that meatspace might be released at the same time...
which is fine, just means i have to accept my ego about who is the second best or gets x less downloads etc

point is...
damn it where did i put that thing...

Placid Dingo

Ohh, I'm working full time and banging out what i can on Friday afternoon. You have nothing to... (obvious joke)