News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Oh god, Guam might tip over and capsize!!1!!321!

Started by Cain, April 02, 2010, 03:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://washingtonscene.thehill.com/in-the-know/36-news/3169-rep-hank-johnson-guam-could-tip-over-and-capsize

This seems a curiously specific concern:

QuoteRep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) is afraid that the U.S. Territory of Guam is going to "tip over and capsize" due to overpopulation.

Johnson expressed his worries during a House Armed Services Committee hearing on the defense budget Thursday.

Addressing Adm. Robert Willard, who commands the Navy's Pacific Fleet, Johnson made a tippy motion with his hands and said sternly, "My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize."

Willard paused and said: "We don't anticipate that."

Like other islands, Guam is attached to the sea floor, which makes it extremely unlikely that it will tip over, even if there are lots and lots of people on it. Guam is 30 miles long and up to 9 miles wide in certain spots, with a population of 175,000 civilians. The military is proposing the addition of 8,000 U.S. servicemembers and their families.

Cainad (dec.)

What, Dem politicians don't have enough fear of their political opponents so they have to make up new ones?

I think my IQ went down by 12 points right there.

Cain

Willard's response is priceless, though.  I don't even have to find a video to imagine the carefully guarded expression he had to put on while answering that.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Freeky

Looks like someone made sure to take their stupid pills.

Jasper

"We don't anticipate that" is now code for "you're a fucking moron".  :lulz:

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

What a great example of bad word choice and bad metaphor...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Cain on April 02, 2010, 04:03:01 PM
Willard's response is priceless, though.  I don't even have to find a video to imagine the carefully guarded expression he had to put on while answering that.

If anyone does need a video, however, here it is.

The question occurs at 1:15

Juana

Oh, jeez. I love the expression on his face. Very srs bznz.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Maybe Johnson got Guam confused with Salazore.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

on Facebook, someone used this to argue against public education being left to State's Rights; because apparently, this would be the level of education in Georgia.

hooplala

"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman