News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

"Care Package" for the troops.

Started by Suu, April 06, 2010, 04:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

I hear they like gum, fancy deoderants, comics, stuff that's sort of "fluffy" but can divert them and make them feel more at-home (as if that's possible).  Wipes might be good--it's a dirty business, soldiering in the desert, and having pre-moistened wipes to wipe yourself down with are always a luxury.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

my uncle always has us send baby wipes cause they cant always shower

Jasper

Quote from: Jenne on April 06, 2010, 07:40:59 PM
I hear they like gum, fancy deoderants, comics, stuff that's sort of "fluffy" but can divert them and make them feel more at-home (as if that's possible).  Wipes might be good--it's a dirty business, soldiering in the desert, and having pre-moistened wipes to wipe yourself down with are always a luxury.

This strikes me as practical.

Suu

Yeah, I'm thinking some gum, wipes, and a couple of books should do it.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Dimocritus

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

E.O.T.

PRINTED MATERIAL

may not be best for overseas shipping cost, but how about a bunch of those rags one sees at the checkout, so they can oggle pics of lady gaga and read about who tiger woods is fucking, find out michael jackson died n stuff. light reading, entertaining. pics of lady gaga.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Sending them stuff that makes them feel a little more at home would probably go a long way. E.O.T. and Jenne have the right idea.

Cain

Suu

Quote from: Cain on April 06, 2010, 10:54:08 PM
Send hookers and blow.

I don't think they can fit in flat rate box.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Freeky

Suu

He got back to me and said that they are actually all set. People send them stuff all the time and not to worry, but they appreciate the thought. He's also almost done.

rygD

Usally there are plenty of care packages that get sent over with the basics.  They are likely thankful you gave a fuck enough to try to send them anything, even if they are leaving soon.  If they are stationed in Germany they should be able to take leave once they get back, but many people love being there.  Of greater concern would be if they are in Afghanistan and are heading to Kyrgyzstan to fly out.

If you decide to send stuff to anyone else then Fred and Jenne are correct with the baby wipes.  Even if you usually have access to a shower the baby wipes can be used for many things (wiping of the rear, "bath", cleaning weapon/windows/hands/face/whatever).  Also, hand sanitizer is a plus.  Some snacks, especially sweets, are good, but do not put soap or laundry detergent in a box with any food that might pick up the flavour (soap oatmeal is not that tasty). Powdered drink mixes to add to the bottles of water (mostly .5l, though some places get the1.5l bottles)

E.O.T. has good ides with morale material.  For the guys FHM, Stuff, and other such magazines are popular (don't send Bizarre...I didn't receive a single issue of my subscription).  Some guys will read the types of magazines E.O.T. mentioned, but the women seem to enjoy those more.  If you know the individual(s) whatever they enjoy should still be widely shared (I usually go for science stuff and Smithsonian, many people enjoy gun mags, car mags, Men's Health and other related stuff).

Socks aren't that hard to get (I get 6 pairs a month through ADO).  The unit should provide them with plenty of 550 cord and 100mph tape.

These are suggestions for Iraq and Afghanistan.  In Qatar they have everything they need, as they send us there for R&R, and they have access to pretty much anything they want.  The same is true of larger FOBs, they usually have access to a PX/BX and some also have Burger King, Pizza Hut, Subway and others (at least for now, but they will be leaving soon).

Not sure how popular an outdated hippie book like PD would go over, as everyone who is currently in the US military has joined or resigned a contract since this all started, so they knew they were likely to deploy, many hoping to go over.  Some would enjoy it,  while those I have shared it with don't seem to give a fuck.  I know some like FSM stuff (or will steal a copy of Zen Without Zen Masters if you leave them alone with it...fucking bastards).  Generally speaking books are only good for people who request them, as there are many libraries of donated books all over Afghanistan, and I rarely see anyone else looking for stuff.  I have seen more books thrown away than read.  I try to rescue some, but paper takes up so much space...

Eventually I hope to order some stuff, Suu, probably after I get home.
:rbtg:

Quote from: rygD on March 07, 2007, 02:53:03 PM
...nuke Iraq and give it to the Jews...

Suu

When are you due to come home? And do you need a spaggy care package?  :mrgreen:

Number_6

I have to commend you all, this is a wonderful endeavor. And perhaps the opportunity should be taken again. We could really ground these people.

Lollipops. Small, portable, suck on them for an hour. Adds some sweetness in life. But not too many, you don't want to give these guys dental problems. Look what happened when troops in Vietnam got ciggies.

Body wipes, we find them useful, imagine how they'd feel with them.

I'd physically add something to a future shipment, but it'd take a week for a package to travel from Ireland to America.