News:

I hope she gets diverticulitis and all her poop kills her.

Main Menu

Ethical Question (minor)

Started by LMNO, April 06, 2010, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Dimocritus

hooplala

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 06, 2010, 06:10:08 PM
Right now I'm in a simplistic mood, so I'm going to just say that if your actions directly make someone unhappy it is not ethically sound.

That is a frightening statement.  Were you being serious?
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Jasper

Quote from: Hoopla on April 06, 2010, 06:34:08 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 06, 2010, 06:10:08 PM
Right now I'm in a simplistic mood, so I'm going to just say that if your actions directly make someone unhappy it is not ethically sound.

That is a frightening statement.  Were you being serious?

BE AFRAAAIID!!!

Emphasis on "simplistic mood".   Right now it is 11:37 B.C. (before coffee) and I feel that people are overcompllicating a simple decision with SRS ETHICS.

Dimocritus

OT: I feel that peoples reactions and how they feel about them are their own responsibility. "What you just did made me feel bad" is not something I usually respond to by taking responsibility for their feelings. Perhaps if they had a different attitude about life, what you did would bother them less and maybe by putting their feelings "on the spot" you might make them reassess there stance on things to become less vulnerable.

Just a thought.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: dimo on April 06, 2010, 06:42:58 PM
OT: I feel that peoples reactions and how they feel about them are their own responsibility. "What you just did made me feel bad" is not something I usually respond to by taking responsibility for their feelings. Perhaps if they had a different attitude about life, what you did would bother them less and maybe by putting their feelings "on the spot" you might make them reassess there stance on things to become less vulnerable.

Just a thought.

Right, being responsible for your actions doesn't equate to being responsible for others reactions to your actions.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

unless its a totally shitty action then it is your fault
but you said they feel GUILTY and guilt is felt when they think THEY did something wrong

Kai

While you may not be responsible for their reactions, you are aware that your actions are causing some guilt and unhappiness.

It's up to you whether you care or not.

As for what to do next, see the statement above.

Generally I would err on the side of Nhat Hanh and say compassion should be the guide in such situations.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous

If it's somebody that you love, you should avoid doing something that you know will hurt their feelings, unless you feel that your feelings will be hurt more, relatively, by being compelled by their sensitivity to not do it.
of course, if you should choose to not do it, you should let them know about your sacrifice for them, so that they feel good and guilty about you not doing it... :)

joking aside, i would think that if there is a question, then you shouldn't do it...

Jasper

Quote from: Ratatosk on April 06, 2010, 06:47:08 PM

Just a thought.

Right, being responsible for your actions doesn't equate to being responsible for others reactions to your actions.

I just mugged you, but I'm not responsible for how you feel about that.

That sounds legit.

Dysfunctional Cunt

If you choose to do something knowing before you do it that it will hurt someone you care about? 

IMO that's shitty.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 06, 2010, 06:59:52 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on April 06, 2010, 06:47:08 PM

Just a thought.

I just mugged you, but I'm not responsible for how you feel about that.

That sounds legit.

How you react or feel about being mugged is your own choice. You can choose to feel victimized or you could choose to view it more positively by seeing it as a valuable learning experience (ie: don't traverse back alleys late at night anymore). But I don't think that muggings are what we're talking about here. I think people don't realize how much control they have over their own emotions.

Jasper

It is antisocial to take no responsibility for how people react to your actions.  The line has to be drawn somewhere, and it makes sense to draw it at "I am fairly certain that this action will unduly harm/distress another."

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 06, 2010, 07:15:58 PM
It is antisocial to take no responsibility for how people react to your actions.  The line has to be drawn somewhere, and it makes sense to draw it at "I am fairly certain that this action will unduly harm/distress another."

agreed.  it's simply an unfortunate fact that this is more of a smudge than a line....