News:

Several times a month, I will be in a store aisle reaching for something and feel a hand going up the inside of my thigh. When I turn around to find myself alone with a woman, and ask her if she would prefer me to hold still so she can get a better feel for the situation, oftentimes she will act "shocked" claiming nothing had happened, it must be somebody else...

Main Menu

Ethical Question (minor)

Started by LMNO, April 06, 2010, 04:52:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on April 06, 2010, 04:52:46 PM
If I choose to do something voluntary (that is, not vital to my existence) that makes a person I care about feel guilty and bad about themselves, how much responsibility do I have in causing their hurt feelings?

Also, what is the appropriate next action to be taken?

DOES THIS INVOLVE SEX OR CLOWN SHOES?
Molon Lube

Jasper

Quote from: dimo on April 07, 2010, 08:04:01 PM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 07, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
Quote from: dimo on April 07, 2010, 03:03:02 PM
System of ethics=Unicorn.

They aren't real, and exist, if at all, only in your own mind.

Just sayin'...

OT: Glad everything worked out with you and your friend, LMNO.

I'm willing to concede that a system of ethics is unfeasible.

However I contest that despite this, ethical behavior itself is not only feasible, but desirable.

Ok, but ethical behavior based ON WHAT SYSTEM? That's the question. Ethics can't really exist without a set of rules or guidelines, commonly known as a system. All systems will eventually fail. Ethics is no different.
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 07, 2010, 05:03:09 PM
Quote from: dimo on April 07, 2010, 03:03:02 PM
System of ethics=Unicorn.

They aren't real, and exist, if at all, only in your own mind.

Just sayin'...

OT: Glad everything worked out with you and your friend, LMNO.

I'm willing to concede that a system of ethics is unfeasible.

However I contest that despite this, ethical behavior itself is not only feasible, but desirable.

Ok, but ethical behavior based ON WHAT SYSTEM? That's the question. Ethics can't really exist without a set of rules or guidelines, commonly known as a system. All systems will eventually fail. Ethics is no different.

No system.  Systems of ethics don't work, you said so yourself.  No system, no problem.  My method is to simply assert that I must behave "ethically", whatever that means, and attempt to do so.  It doesn't have a pretty framework or anything you would need a degree for, but it works in real life and that's more than Kant can say.

johnnybrainwash

I make decisions all the time without what you would recognize as a system, and I make them at least as much with my gut as with my brain. Sometimes I make mistakes, but then, any system will eventually fail too.

I would say that the people I see who commit casual cruelties or have constant pointless drama are the ones who have strong systems they adhere to. They miss the part about eventual failure, and so never know when they need to revise a theory in light of practice.

If the system is bound to fail, what makes it superior to my own practice? We both get it wrong sometimes.

Dimocritus

Serious question: Can you have ethics without a system/code? I think the answer is no. If the two are inseperable, then all ethics eventually fail (them being a system and all). If that is so, is making a decision based on ethics a wise decision (as opposed to something like logic/reason)?
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

johnnybrainwash

Are you defining "ethics" to mean something other than "ethical behavior"? It sounded earlier like you were defining ethics to formally require a system.

There's nothing unique about systems in eventually failing. That's just life. If you have to have perfection to approve of something, I would recommend spending some time with the first noble truth.

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 08, 2010, 06:19:24 AM
If I choose to do something voluntary (that is, not vital to my existence) that makes a person I care about feel guilty and bad about themselves, how much responsibility do I have in causing their hurt feelings?

Best of both worlds:  REALLY SEXY CLOWN SHOES.

Cramulus

Quote from: LMNO on April 08, 2010, 01:56:00 PM

google image search is failing me!  :x

LMNO

MY LIBIDO BROKE THE INTERNETS.

Jasper

Quote from: dimo on April 08, 2010, 07:30:15 AM
Serious question: Can you have ethics without a system/code? I think the answer is no. If the two are inseperable, then all ethics eventually fail (them being a system and all). If that is so, is making a decision based on ethics a wise decision (as opposed to something like logic/reason)?

Well, I have to differ.  Nothing about my life experiences, nor my rational understanding of nature and reality, would ever, in a thousand years, lead me to the conclusion that a systematic code of behavior is morally superior to the nebulous concepts of compassion, empathy, and good will.

Darth Cupcake

Quote from: Cramulus on April 08, 2010, 03:49:17 PM
Quote from: LMNO on April 08, 2010, 01:56:00 PM

google image search is failing me!  :x

LMNO, I officially volunteer to custom design this costume for you for Halloween.

SEXY CLOWN MAN.

The world needs it.
Be the trouble you want to see in the world.

LMNO

I accept your challenge.

LMNO
-this'll go over HUGE at Spooky Bear Weekend in PTown.