News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Oriental Yeti? Pull the other one

Started by Cain, April 06, 2010, 11:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/apr/06/mystery-of-oriental-yeti

QuoteA mysterious hairless creature, dubbed the "Oriental Yeti", has been trapped by hunters in a remote region of central China. Apparently, it emerged from ancient woodlands. Described by its finders as "a bit like a bear but with a tail like a kangaroo", it reportedly makes a noise like a distressed cat. Chinese scientists are hoping that DNA tests will prove it to be the zoologists' equivalent of the Holy Grail – a mammal new to science. Could it be? Time to examine the facts.

First, its size. The Yeti is, according to legend, a mysterious bear-like beast, standing well over the height of a man. The mammal discovered in China is a small, possum-like creature, perhaps two feet long at most. Next, its appearance: particularly its hair, or in this case the lack of it. Photographs reveal a wrinkled, pink animal, sprouting a few tufts of hair and several nasty looking lesions on its exposed skin.

Far from being naturally hairless, this is, according to Oxford scientist and TV presenter George McGavin, a very sick animal indeed. "It looks like a shaved civet, and to be honest I think it probably is. You can immediately see that it has lost its hair, probably through illness." And McGavin is highly sceptical about the idea that this animal may be new to science, as has been claimed. "If this truly is a new discovery I would be very surprised."

McGavin can speak from experience, having led the recent expedition to the jungles of Mount Bosavi in New Guinea, featured on the BBC series Lost Land of the Volcano. While there, McGavin and his team did indeed discover a mammal new to science: a giant rat, provisionally named the Bosavi woolly rat.

Such findings are becoming increasingly infrequent, as the vast majority of the globe has now been explored, meaning that most large or medium-sized mammals have already been discovered and named. If you still want to find a creature new to science, and even have it named after yourself, there is still plenty of scope - but you would be best advised to focus on the smaller stuff. In the last decade alone almost a quarter of a million new species have been described – though most are micro-organisms rather than mammals.

And, so far at least, there have been no confirmations of a miniature hairless Yeti.

It's not a well looking or happy animal, it's true.

Jasper

Actually, it's not a yeti.

That is what you get when you take a possum with malignant cancer, and give it chemo and a cocktail of mutagenics.  The possum dies, and the tumor evolves into a symbiote that takes the form of the dead, now hairless possum.

This is actual science, do not argue.

Cain

So you're saying this is John Carpenter's The Thing, only set in China and without Kurt Russell?

Mangrove

Uhh, I thought that:

a) Yeti was Tibetan, thus already 'Oriental'.

b) The Chinese equivalent of Yeti/Big Foot/Sasquatch is called 'Yeren'

What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Jasper

Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2010, 04:11:19 PM
So you're saying this is John Carpenter's The Thing, only set in China and without Kurt Russell?

Hah!  Figures there would already be a movie.  Yeah, pretty much.

Cain

Quote from: Mangrove on April 07, 2010, 04:17:22 PM
Uhh, I thought that:

a) Yeti was Tibetan, thus already 'Oriental'.

b) The Chinese equivalent of Yeti/Big Foot/Sasquatch is called 'Yeren'

I suspect they were using "Oriental" in its specifically Chinese meaning, and figured no-one had heard of the Yeren.  I mean, I haven't.

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 07, 2010, 05:42:50 PM
Quote from: Cain on April 07, 2010, 04:11:19 PM

Hah!  Figures there would already be a movie.  Yeah, pretty much.

Still worth watching though, one of Carpenter's better films.

Nast

Named, of course, for the common utterance:

"Yeren trouble if you see it coming atcha."
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Freeky

LMNO