Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Man shoots alleged child molester

Started by Dysnomia, April 08, 2010, 04:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 09, 2010, 01:52:05 AM
Quote from: CAPTAIN SLACK on April 09, 2010, 12:06:34 AM
It's been established by now that killing is an inappropriate response. What about putting the fucker in an oxygen tent?

Yes, we should definitely not kill people, but let's all torture the pedos.  That way we've totally got the moral high ground.

I'm not siding with whoever proposed torture, but death by vigilante is, to me, a fairly acceptable punitive sanction against rape.  To my thinking it is not unreasonable to prohibit such behavior from enjoying the society they are working against.

Besides, the state spends millions on death row, and the vigilante spent what, a dollar and change?

A part of me wants to argue that a vigilante acting on impulse wouldn't be able to weigh up the evidence and assess the persons guilt compared to due process and a jury.
But at this stage I have my doubts.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Jasper

Granted, but the guy

1) had firsthand evidence,
2) had other people come forward to say they were also molested.

Also, our death row has a fair number of innocents, for all their careful justice.

Faust

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 09, 2010, 02:02:09 AM
Also, our death row has a fair number of innocents, for all their careful justice.
That's why I had my doubts.
I'm completely against the death penalty but its easy for me to say that coming from a country that doesn't have/need it.
The reason I'd be against a first hand victim taking their own corrective measures on someone like this is that I don't think they as victims are getting the justice they deserve, if anything he is now both the victim of a child molester and a victim of his own suffering, allowing his pain to make him a murderer.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Faust on April 09, 2010, 02:08:13 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on April 09, 2010, 02:02:09 AM
That's why I had my doubts.
I'm completely against the death penalty but its easy for me to say that coming from a country that doesn't have/need it.
The reason I'd be against a first hand victim taking their own corrective measures on someone like this is that I don't think they as victims are getting the justice they deserve, if anything he is now both the victim of a child molester and a victim of his own suffering, allowing his pain to make him a murderer.

But thats less a moral issue and more one of legality.

No mater what the law of the land, rape is rape... but "murder" depends on what the society considers justified and unjustified.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

The Wizard

I'd kill him. If I was abused like that or someone I cared about had that happen to them, I'd off him. No torture, no explanations, just double tap to the back of  the head. It's not about justice, it's about finishing it. I kill the bastard, it might net the loved one some closure and the fucker doesn't hurt any more kids. Knowing that I might have saved children from having that done to them would go a long way to ease a prison sentence.

Of course, I'd make sure I was completely certain of what he did before I took action. Not doing so makes what you're doing even worse.
Insanity we trust.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on April 08, 2010, 05:06:37 PM
I think there's generally a due process involved for these things. And while kiddy fiddling is reprehensible, death is a pretty high price to pay for it.

Manslaughter at most.  Personally, I'd just cite him for discharging a weapon inside city limits.
Molon Lube

The Wizard

QuoteManslaughter at most.  Personally, I'd just cite him for discharging a weapon inside city limits.

Hah. I like that. Justice is served (from the court perspective), and guy's life isn't destroyed. Nice.
Insanity we trust.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 09, 2010, 03:15:55 AM
I think there's generally a due process involved for these things. And while kiddy fiddling is reprehensible, death is a pretty high price to pay for it.

Manslaughter at most.  Personally, I'd just cite him for discharging a weapon inside city limits.

In this case, perhaps a Civil War Reenactment without a permit.  (as it was an ancient cap and ball pistol that he used)

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Iptuous on April 09, 2010, 03:22:22 AM

In this case, perhaps a Civil War Reenactment without a permit.  (as it was an ancient cap and ball pistol that he used)

Then he should get bonus points for style.
Molon Lube

Dysnomia

you need a permit to reenact the civil war?
It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif

Freeky

Quote from: Sparkley Pink Shit on April 09, 2010, 03:24:21 AM

I would think so, they're firing old timey guns. Even if it is just blanks.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 09, 2010, 03:32:00 AM

Not in Arizona you don't.
Molon Lube

Elder Iptuous

AZ guys don't shoot blanks?!
damn.
i thought we were hard core about that shit in TX!
:wink:

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 09, 2010, 03:33:34 AM
Quote from: Professor Freeky on April 09, 2010, 03:32:00 AM

Not in Arizona you don't.

Ah. Not being a big history fan, I wouldn't know about this sort of thing. But My ignorance has lessened today!

Dysnomia

Quote from: Iptuous on April 09, 2010, 03:35:07 AM
AZ guys don't shoot blanks?!
damn.
i thought we were hard core about that shit in TX!
:wink:
:lol:

It's all fun and games, till someone gets herpes.

http://cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/122010/mow-the-lawn.gif