Main Menu

CANDIES

Started by Triple Zero, April 09, 2010, 10:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

I made CANDIES :D

-melted some butter
- and some orange peel
- stirred and then removed the peel when it had extracted the orange oils (not sure if that worked, it's still cooling),
- then added the juice of said orange
- and then a fuckton of sugar.

- then I kept stirring and heating
- and taking it off the heat occasionally to prevent boiling over (since the juice was turning into steam)

- I think I heated it to somewhere between soft ball and hard ball (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy#Sugar_stages)

- poured the stuff using a funnel into two long rolls of wax paper.  (tape does not stick to wax paper so if you want to keep the roll in place, you need to wrap the tape in a ring around the roll so it sticks to itself. I folded the bottom close, and also taped that shut.)

- I found it is important to place these rolls upright in something like an empty soda bottle so it's supported all the way. Because the sugar butter stuff is pretty heavy and if you place it just in a high cup or something, it will fold and collapse and make a mess and boy you don't want a melted sugar mess anywhere.

Also you will burn your fingers.

And butter-fried orange zest tastes funny (you know I had to try it, it looked so crunchy!).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Oh right I forgot to say when it's cooled I will cut it in small pieces.

I think something that Squid posted inspired me to cook this.

And also because when I thought about it it seemed so simple I wondered why I didn't do it more often. Probably because I don't eat much candy usually.

But if it's good I could easily make fuck ton truck loads of this stuff, I just used a small pan this time.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Triple Zero

DONE!

they are a bit too hard to slice without shattering. I'm not entirely sure yet how to resolve this.

the flavour is excellent. delicious caramel with a slight hint of orange.

Triple Zero

it occurs to me that the solution shall be to carefully cut them anyway and save the shattered bits for icecream topping!

Rumckle

:jebus:

That sounds awesome!

The next step is figuring out how to make bacon flavour.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Rumckle on April 09, 2010, 01:34:16 PM
:jebus:

That sounds awesome!

The next step is figuring out how to make bacon flavour.

well that seems easy, just use bacon lard instead of butter? :)

Sir Squid Diddimus

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

also, how did you get your wax paper to not stick? mine wanted to stick to the caramels

Triple Zero

That's why I used wax paper? Sorry it seems I got the wrong word, I used http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parchment_paper_(baking) <-- this. Which is designed to be non-stick.

I always have a sheet of the stuff on the metal grill in my oven, just to prevent crumbs or melted cheese or such to get everywhere. It lasts about 3 times ovening, usually. After that it gets crumbly and I throw it away.

Additionally, I found that having more than 3 clumps of those things is an excellent laxative. Probably because it makes your body think WTF TOO MUCH SUGAR GET IT OUT OUT OUT OUT

BADGE OF HONOR

Parchment paper is coated with silicone which is why it doesn't stick.  Wax paper is coated in wax which will melt when heated.   :kingmeh:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Comrade Humar

There's a bakery near my current location and I always request them to make an unholy abomination of a doughnut. It's a maple bar with a strip of bacon running down it. It's so good. I could go for one right now...
This sentence is a lie.

Triple Zero

Uh, what does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

Sir Squid Diddimus

That's where I went wrong. All the recipes said to wrap the candies in wax paper, but when pouring into the pan you have to use parchment.
I used wax.
Duuur.

Learnding

Comrade Humar

Quote from: Triple Zero on April 11, 2010, 06:58:09 PM
Uh, what does that have to do with the subject of this thread?

After I posted that I thought the same thing. Someone mentioned bacon and that's where my mind went.

You could you that tube as a straw to drink something fattening, then bite it off and eat the candy. Some sort of real fruit smoothie would be good.
This sentence is a lie.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Comrade Humar on April 12, 2010, 03:08:14 AMYou could you that tube as a straw to drink something fattening, then bite it off and eat the candy. Some sort of real fruit smoothie would be good.

Totally. Especially when you're starting pentions to ban history, or?

Pope Pixie Pickle

Trip maybe leaving a knife in boiling water to mek knife hot and try cutting your candy.