News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "I've always, always regarded the Discordians as being people who chose to be Discordians because they can't be arsed to actually do any work to develop a relationship with a specific deity, they were too wishy-washy to choose just one path, and they just want to be a mishmash of everything and not have to work at learning about rituals or traditions or any such thing as that."

Main Menu

Sheep + Meth + Tasers = SCIENCE!

Started by Jasper, April 16, 2010, 09:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasper

http://www.popsci.com/node/45064/?cmpid=enews041510

"Cocaine is a hell of a drug, but getting shocked with a Taser while riding high on methamphetamines probably beats any white-knuckled cocaine experience hands down. And that's exactly what happened to some lucky sheep in a new study that tested the effects of Tasers on meth-addled targets, funded in part by Taser International. "

Isn't it great to be a human?

Richter

The entire distilation of my initial response is "FUCK YEW GOAT!"

More academically, I'm (horror pleasantly) surprised that we live in a culture where people who abuse and endanger themselves or others while under the effects of illegal drugs are so carefully watched out for.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Chairman Risus

Quote from: Richter on April 16, 2010, 01:09:52 PM
The entire distilation of my initial response is "FUCK YEWE GOAT!"

More academically, I'm (horror pleasantly) surprised that we live in a culture where people who abuse and endanger themselves or others while under the effects of illegal drugs are so carefully watched out for.

Lies

Sounds like its a great time to be a sheep! drugs and tazering for all!
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Jasper

Although the substance abuse in animals these days is shocking.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

WTF is this, PETA?

What are we going to do, load up a bunch of humans on meth and then taser them to see what happens?

I don't know, I guess my sense of species and appreciation for science that could help save human lives is a little higher than some others. Some animal testing is cruel and pointless, but sometimes it beats locking a little girl in a cage and seeing how she does for 10 years without love, and what can be done to fix it.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I say this, BTW, not because I think humans are inherently "better" than other animals, but because I am one and I expect kinship to be primary. Also, I think it is reasonable to expect kinship to be primary.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Triple Zero

Yes. Most of the debate with the (more reasonable) vegetarians I know, for example, is about how close of a secondary the non-kin life is, right?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrowâ„¢
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Yeah; like, don't eat monkeys, but fish are OK.

Science is harder because the closer of kin the test subjects are, the more useful the results are likely to be.

Doktor Howl

I've eaten monkey.  Spider monkey, to be exact.
Molon Lube

BADGE OF HONOR

I was wondering why sheep since they're not known for their, erm, aggression, but then I realized you have to have something approaching the body mass of a human being, but not so large that going on a meth-fueled rampage would be dangerous.   :lol:
The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Requia ☣

I so want to see a herd of meth addled sheep going on a rampage now.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Eater of Clowns

I was in Amherst at some shitty little ice cream/hot dog/fried food stand.  I went back to my car to get a bottle of water.  A pickup truck had parked pretty close to the door, but only the cab part was really visible with this grizzled farmer looking dude sitting there.  So I stepped between the two vehicles and then
MRARAMMRGRAAAAAAHHRA

a fucking screech from no worldly creature erupted behind me.  The fury driving it, the pure hatred for me for being in its presence, was visceral.  I turned, expecting some horrible thing and thinking of how I might escape.  In the back of the guy's truck was a sheep in a little metal cage, a dull and bored look on its face.

I've never wanted a tazer so badly in my life.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Jasper

In the experiment they sedate the sheep while they are being shocked.  So not only is there no experience of psychological stress that might contribute to a heart attack in a real life case of tazing a meth user, but there are drugs (sedatives) in the sheep that may spoil the usefulness of the results.  So yeah, since the methodology is lackluster, probably skewed to give results that the funding party wants to hear so it's not certain that the results of the experiment will be useful enough to justify the level of cruelty.

I'd totally be happy with this sort of study if it had more promise of delivering usable, concrete results, even if a more accurate study would be somewhat more cruel.

Freeky

You know, I personally think that they ought to have used stupid fucking meth heads for this experiment, because if they're stupid enough to tweak, then they should be tazed for it.