News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Sufficiently advanced photoshop is indistinguishable from magic.

Started by Jasper, April 20, 2010, 12:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richter

I'm with Nigel here.  Photography has a certain veracity and value from the fact that it's capturing a real life moment.  Finishing or editing a photo may make a pretty picture, but if it's adding in elements it never had, and the photographer was too lazy to find, it ruins that genuine source.  National Geographic would not stand for that shit.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Elder Iptuous

there's more than one purpose for photography.  sure Nat Geo wouldn't stand it, because they're trying to show the world as it is.  (would they allow lens flare removal?)  I can understand the appeal of the veracity that you mention.
But, some photography is intended to show create an ideal scene for the sake of art or advertisement.  it's just as valid a use though.
if in the example in the video, the photographer had taken the effort to modify the scene by removing those poles, cutting down that tree, going over the ground with a fine toothed comb to remove any trash and divets and then took the picture, would that be preferable?

Kai

This is pretty fucking incredible. I definitely agree with Nigel that I'm not into the "I don't want that tree there, remove it" is disgusting.

But, I got to the last photo, the panorama, and I thought HOLY SHIT.  :aaa:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Kai on April 20, 2010, 01:56:06 PM
HOLY SHIT THEY REPAIRED THE PARTHENON.

they came in first place in a non-existent race...

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on April 20, 2010, 02:22:30 PM

What?

I think it's pretty clear that a person can't trust any digital photos anymore.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Kai on April 20, 2010, 02:31:16 PM

What?

The parthenon's in Greece.
Or was it Grease 2?
i can't keep my movies straight....

LMNO

Quote from: Sigmatic on April 20, 2010, 12:30:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI&feature=player_embedded

Apparently photoshop is now being developed by, literally, wizards.  This shit is amazing.

FUCKING PHOTOSHOP, HOW DOES IT WORK?
                    \

Cramulus

I am also confused about how having better tools to edit ruins something about photography

photoshop is for more than photography or fine art

sometimes you need a picture that doesn't have zits or garbage on the ground or whatever, is that "ruining" the photo?

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Kai

Quote from: Iptuous on April 20, 2010, 02:37:35 PM

What?

Or was it Grease 2?

Am I wrong about the ancient pillared structure where they repaired the roofline in that youtube? Or did I get it completely wrong?

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Kai on April 20, 2010, 03:58:20 PM
Quote from: Iptuous on April 20, 2010, 02:37:35 PM

What?

Or was it Grease 2?

Am I wrong about the ancient pillared structure where they repaired the roofline in that youtube? Or did I get it completely wrong?

When i make mistakes, i use a lot of salt.
salt makes m'steaks taste great...

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on April 20, 2010, 03:34:37 PM
I am also confused about how having better tools to edit ruins something about photography

photoshop is for more than photography or fine art

sometimes you need a picture that doesn't have zits or garbage on the ground or whatever, is that "ruining" the photo?

I don't think you read what I wrote. It's not the tool itself, which is neat; it's that the video so well illustrated that ultimately it will enable advertising clients to be even more of unreasonable, demanding douches than they already are.

Also, a beautiful photograph created by Photoshop (the panorama, for instance) to me is far less impressive than a beautiful photograph created by the convergence of the skill of the photographer and the beauty of the subject.

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Elder Iptuous

if the demands of the clients are now reasonable, and easily accommodated, isn't it a win for designer and douche alike?

LMNO

Is there a sliding scale of skill respectability?

I would think that a beautiful end result of a picture that was edited in photoshop would take a lot of skill and aesthetic sense on the part of the 'shopper.  Otherwise, it just looks like a crappy photoshop job.

Is a picture that's been 'shopped somehow less artistic than one that hasn't?