News:

Yes we're horrible toxic people, because this is 2020's Mental Illness Olympics, and the winners get a free pass on giving life-threatening advice with the bonus of having zero accountability for their shit behaviour.

Main Menu

Sufficiently advanced photoshop is indistinguishable from magic.

Started by Jasper, April 20, 2010, 12:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 20, 2010, 06:25:07 PM
I don't think you read what I wrote.

actually I was responding to Richter

QuoteIt's not the tool itself, which is neat; it's that the video so well illustrated that ultimately it will enable advertising clients to be even more of unreasonable, demanding douches than they already are.

upthread, you said that client's demands were destroying the art of photography. But commissioning an artist to make something for you isn't anything new, it's thousands of years old. The artists are still making their own fine art when they're not on the clock. In the era of digital photography, manipulating an image until it looks the way you want is just part of the artistic process.

QuoteAlso, a beautiful photograph created by Photoshop (the panorama, for instance) to me is far less impressive than a beautiful photograph created by the convergence of the skill of the photographer and the beauty of the subject.

But photosho didn't make the composition, the artist made it using photoshop. Doesn't digitial manipulation fall under "the skill of the artist"?

some photographers burn and dodge in the darkroom,
others do it on their computer

there are many exceptions --but to me, the quality of the art is revealed through my experience of it, not the means of its production.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: LMNO on April 20, 2010, 06:32:58 PM
Is there a sliding scale of skill respectability?

I would think that a beautiful end result of a picture that was edited in photoshop would take a lot of skill and aesthetic sense on the part of the 'shopper.  Otherwise, it just looks like a crappy photoshop job.

Is a picture that's been 'shopped somehow less artistic than one that hasn't?

Looks like the new software makes it a lot easier to achieve good effects.

If designers can more easily accommodate their douchebag clients with less time, frustration, and hair-pulling, that's great for them. If this is going to primarily be used for advertising, well, it's not like I expect much from ads.

But from an artistic perspective, I would want to know if an image has been altered in Photoshop, and depending on the art and skill in that alteration, it might increase my respect for the image, or it might decrease it. I'm not against effects. I just think that if a photographer relies on Photoshop to correct a poor eye and lousy composition in the original image, they're not a good photographer in the first place, so I wouldn't think as highly of them (as an artist) as I would of someone who was able to incorporate that tree and those pieces of garbage into a good composition in the first place.

That picture is a poor example, because it was for an ad, but you probably get my point.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Whatever. Douchey ad clients will go on being douchey ad clients, and I don't even have to deal with them anymore so I don't care.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

LMNO

Is this about whether or not ad clients are pricks, or about whether image manipulation can be considered "art"?

Because that would have a big difference on the nature of this conversation.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 20, 2010, 02:23:33 AM
One thing this video did for me was intensify my hatred of "clients".

OMG THAT PICTURE LOOKS LIKE A PICTURE, FIX IT

I hate them.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: The Lord and Lady Omnibus Fuck on April 20, 2010, 04:31:52 AM
It's not the editing software. it's the clients who want the pictures not to look like what they are pictures of.

Also, I hate people. Especially clients.

Destroying the art of photography. If they wanted to shoop in unicorns and Bette Davis I would be OK with it.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

I was just having a moment of misanthropy. Forget about it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Cramulus

oookay

so now that we're done airing out our laundry

here's another cool sneak peek of content-aware fill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cramulus on April 20, 2010, 07:13:33 PM

here's another cool sneak peek of content-aware fill:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ScWu7pG7r0

That was awesome.  :lulz:

I especially like "everything you see is probably a lie".

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I'd be interested in seeing examples of what content aware fill handles poorly. It must be optimized for particular situations, or else you'd need some time of AGI to generate that kind of quality.

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.