Main Menu

Ohh, rearry?!

Started by Elder Iptuous, April 20, 2010, 04:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elder Iptuous

A new syndrome to fake!!
:D
anyone ever heard of this?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.9ed601db5c044ea6ed60966ba1371bc8.4b1&show_article=1

A British woman has suddenly started speaking with a Chinese accent after suffering a severe migraine, she said in comments quoted by British media Tuesday.

Sarah Colwill believes she has Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) which has caused her distinctive West Country drawl to be replaced with a Chinese twang, even though she has never even visited the country.

Faust

I wish more people would develop a disorder that makes me speak in racial stereotypes.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Mangrove

Quote from: Iptuous on April 20, 2010, 04:38:27 PM
A new syndrome to fake!!
:D
anyone ever heard of this?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.9ed601db5c044ea6ed60966ba1371bc8.4b1&show_article=1

A British woman has suddenly started speaking with a Chinese accent after suffering a severe migraine, she said in comments quoted by British media Tuesday.

Sarah Colwill believes she has Foreign Accent Syndrome (FAS) which has caused her distinctive West Country drawl to be replaced with a Chinese twang, even though she has never even visited the country.

I saw the same story on Yahoo.

She comes from Plymouth where I spent some 22 years of my life. Given how annoying the local accent actually is, I think she should be grateful for getting a new voice.
What makes it so? Making it so is what makes it so.

Cain

Yeah, this disorder is fairly well documented.

Usually they end up with some sort of French or Eastern European sounding accent, but it depends how severe the damage is.

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2010, 04:53:56 PM

Usually they end up with some sort of French or Eastern European sounding accent, but it depends how severe the damage is.

I have heard of this before, which is why I can't determine if this was a serious post or a serious dig at the French and Eastern Europeans.

And I love it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Rococo Modem Basilisk

I wonder if this is actually an accent change, or just a difference in how sounds are formed...

I am not "full of hate" as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate, and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2010, 04:53:56 PM

does it come out as an outrrrrraaageous French accent?
i.e. does it seem to be based on a stereotype in the mind of the person?

Cramulus

nah

some people theorize that it's only coincidence that the altered speech patterns sound like accents.

For example, if you had brain damage that prevented you from pronouncing the letter R, people might think you were speaking with a boston accent

Cain

No, basically the damage to brain alters how they pronounce words and alter pitch and so on, so that it sounds like a particular accent is usually Lo5 on the part of the listener.

Elder Iptuous

Quote from: Cramulus on April 20, 2010, 05:41:13 PM
For example, if you had brain damage that prevented you from pronouncing the letter R, people might think you were speaking with a boston accent

must.... refrain from... insulting boston spags....

Quote from: Cain on April 20, 2010, 05:41:41 PM
...so that it sounds like a particular accent is usually Lo5 on the part of the listener.

Lo5....
moon location?

Cain

Elder Iptuous

BADGE OF HONOR

The Jerk On Bike rolled his eyes and tossed the waffle back over his shoulder--before it struck the ground, a stout, disconcertingly monkey-like dog sprang into the air and snatched it, and began to masticate it--literally--for the sound it made was like a homonculus squatting on the floor muttering "masticate masticate masticate".

Triple Zero

Badge has it on speed-dial.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

i can't tell whether you were indicating i deserved a facepalm, or whether it could be used as a forehead slap....