News:

That line from the father's song in Mary Poppins, where he's going on about how nothing can go wrong, in Britain in 1910.  That's about the point I realized the boy was gonna die in a trench.

Main Menu

The Unvarnished Truth #2

Started by Doktor Howl, April 26, 2010, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Okay, so it's pretty apparent that America's system of government is in a failure mode, due to over-complexity.  When republics fail, they almost always revert to some form of oligarchy or autocracy...instead of rule of law, you have rule by individuals.  This is not conducive to liberty, and a lack of liberty isn't conducive to happiness.

So the trick is, how do we have a good time in such a situation?  How do we preserve Saturday Night? 

A few "suggestions" have been brought up, including "privilege" (ie, getting the local cops on your side), which isn't the same as freedom, and is thus useless...Also "rational anarchism", which also doesn't address the fact that you live in a system that will punish the hell out of you (not much fun) for openly flouting the powers that be.  It makes great martyrs, if that's your thing, but does nothing to address the root problem.

No, we're simply going to have to shift what we DO to have a good time...For example, I have a great deal of fun tormenting Harry Reid with weekly horrible letters.  This has been a bit of an indulgence on my part, as Harry Reid is a symptom, not a cause, of the general malaise.

Instead, I now propose to have my fun taking out frustrations on the people that caused the problem...To wit, the general public.  As they have traded happiness for complacency, false Slack™ for fun, a supposed safety for freedom, they must be punished. 

The two ways I have determined to be the most effective in punishing them are:

1.  Propaganda showing them what they've "bought".  This will simply mean shifting the message just a tad, from "this is what's coming" to "are you happy now?"

2.  Having a damn good time which they can see after the fact, but cannot participate in.  To do this, we're going to need a new version of the Temporary Autonomous Zone.  Not one which we will stake out (in real estate or philosophically), as that will simply get you smashed flat.  No, what I mean is that we need to establish areas where we can have a real fucking blast, without getting caught...As opposed to rational anarchism, in which a stand is taken, we need to better understand how to get under the radar and stay that way. 

I have some ideas on how to do both of these (which I will go into later, in part IV), but I'd be very interested in any thoughts anyone else has, as this is in fact a work in progress and not a finalized idea.  We've talked about this sort of stuff before (KYFMS, etc), but I think we need to brainstorm some specifics.

Is anybody in?
Molon Lube

Remington

Bullseye!

What I was thinking about for the issue of #2... I think it's necessary to play off of the public's general boredom and desire for fantasy. Imagine, if you would, several people walking down the sidewalk dressed straight out of the Matrix. Long dark coats, sunglasses, little earpieces, etc. By acting this out and creating the image and effect, they in essence own and create the reality around them. This could be experiemented with in a number of different ways: lots of this street performance stuff can be found on Youtube.

The general public is a reactionary creature at heart, largely content to take what they get and make do with it. Hell, I know I am. I think this sort of pro-active reality-shaping would be very inciting for them; fantasy bleeding into reality as a display of what's possible if you act rather than react.

/2cents
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on April 26, 2010, 07:09:04 PM
Bullseye!

What I was thinking about for the issue of #2... I think it's necessary to play off of the public's general boredom and desire for fantasy. Imagine, if you would, several people walking down the sidewalk dressed straight out of the Matrix. Long dark coats, sunglasses, little earpieces, etc. By acting this out and creating the image and effect, they in essence own and create the reality around them. This could be experiemented with in a number of different ways: lots of this street performance stuff can be found on Youtube.

The general public is a reactionary creature at heart, largely content to take what they get and make do with it. Hell, I know I am. I think this sort of pro-active reality-shaping would be very inciting for them; fantasy bleeding into reality as a display of what's possible if you act rather than react.

/2cents

Another example:  "Official" signs directing people to act or feel a given way.  Not hard to do, and it helps if you have a buddy that works at a signage joint (I have cultivated two)...Just so the signs are made without comment.
Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 26, 2010, 07:12:25 PM
Bullseye!

/2cents

Another example:  "Official" signs directing people to act or feel a given way.  Not hard to do, and it helps if you have a buddy that works at a signage joint (I have cultivated two)...Just so the signs are made without comment.
Indeed.

A large Department of Homeland Security logo doesn't hurt either. I wonder if using those is actually illegal.

I get what you're saying, though. Most people will follow what a sign says so long as it looks official; this sort of thing is a good way to subvert that (I'm reminded of the "DO NOT READ THIS SIGN UNDER PENALTY OF LAW" OMF poster).
Is it plugged in?

Requia ☣

Protip: cops don't know what the law says, and prosecutors and judges frequently don't care.  The correct question is, 'will this piss a cop off enough for him to do something about it'.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Requia ☣

I wonder if we could come up with a fake but very real sounding government agency.  the NFA?  (I have no idea what this stands for).

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on April 26, 2010, 07:19:45 PM
Bullseye!

/2cents

Another example:  "Official" signs directing people to act or feel a given way.  Not hard to do, and it helps if you have a buddy that works at a signage joint (I have cultivated two)...Just so the signs are made without comment.
Indeed.

A large Department of Homeland Security logo doesn't hurt either. I wonder if using those is actually illegal.

I get what you're saying, though. Most people will follow what a sign says so long as it looks official; this sort of thing is a good way to subvert that (I'm reminded of the "DO NOT READ THIS SIGN UNDER PENALTY OF LAW" OMF poster).

Their laws do not apply to us, unless we fuck up.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 26, 2010, 07:21:22 PM
Protip: cops don't know what the law says, and prosecutors and judges frequently don't care.  The correct question is, 'will this piss a cop off enough for him to do something about it'.

No, the correct question is "Can I get away with this?".
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on April 26, 2010, 07:22:43 PM
I wonder if we could come up with a fake but very real sounding government agency.  the NFA?  (I have no idea what this stands for).

Federal Bureau of Moral Regulation.

FMBR.
Molon Lube

Remington

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 26, 2010, 08:07:05 PM
Bullseye!

/2cents

Indeed.

Point, although It'd be good to know so as to take appropriate precautions.

FUR: Federal Unbeliever Registry (In case of Palin 2012)
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Remington on April 26, 2010, 08:26:02 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 26, 2010, 08:07:05 PM
Bullseye!

/2cents

Indeed.

Point, although It'd be good to know so as to take appropriate precautions.

FUR: Federal Unbeliever Registry (In case of Palin 2012)

NICE.

ACEA:  Arizona Citizenship Enforcement Agency

Molon Lube

LMNO

USCD - United States Compliance Department.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: LMNO on April 26, 2010, 08:28:43 PM
USCD - United States Compliance Department.

Also nice.

The idea here is to show The People what they have given to their government, so the government doesn't have to.

Sign ideas would be nice, too.  Keep them horrible, yet believeable.  Remember Poe's Law.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Doktor Howl on April 26, 2010, 08:38:10 PM
The idea here is to show The People what they have given to their government, so the government doesn't have to.

In a "That which is not forbidden is mandatory" sort of way?

Requia ☣

I would think more 'that which is not mandatory is forbidden'.

A reminder: This grass has not been cleared for the use of runners. - USCD