News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Life of Nobody

Started by Adios, May 13, 2010, 12:41:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rev

Okay, we have semi-reliable internet. For now.

We are at Oasis State Park which is south of Clovis, NM. Not very much here, except for the all important warmth. It's almost 6 PM and the wind is blowing and it's still around 70 degrees. We are planning to stay here for a few days at least. Since it's the weekend there are about 5 or 6 other campers here right now and we expect several will leave tomorrow.

Last night we stayed at Ft. Sumner State Park and we were the only people in the campground. The place had bad vibes so we left this morning. We did stop at the Billy The Kid Museum today and took the full tour, that was great, drove by and saw his grave as well.

There is a small lake (pond) here so we will need to check on getting fishing licenses tomorrow since we are officially brand new New Mexicans. :)

People are so friendly here, everyone we have met. In Santa Rosa everyone was willing to stop and talk and tell you all about the town and Old Route 66, which runs right through Santa Rosa. We visited the car museum there and they have some of the best preserved/restored cars we have ever seen. I took a picture of a fire engine red 57 Chevy convertable that looked like it just came off the showroom floor. Damn thing gave me goosebumps.

The owner of the Route 66 Restaurant owns a 56 Ford Fairlane that looked brand new as well. He still drives it every day and he showed me pictures of a few of the other classic cars he owns as well.

I guess that's all for now, more as it happens.

Juana

That's one of my favorite parts of the country, right there. Lincoln county is fucking gorgeous. :D Sounds like a fabulous time, Charley.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Rev

Quote from: Secret Agent GARBO on November 13, 2011, 06:12:12 AM
That's one of my favorite parts of the country, right there. Lincoln county is fucking gorgeous. :D Sounds like a fabulous time, Charley.

It is beautiful here. Right now we can't see it though, with the wind blowing as hard as it is there are dust storms to the north and the south. Even if we didn't like it here we would stay, I am not in the mood to drive this thing in a heavy cross wind. Besides, it only got down in the 60's last night.

The Rev

WE ARE IN ROSWELL, NM!!!

The only Aliens we have found are us. This state is so laid back and people are so friendly everywhere we go. Will have reliable internet tomorrow, after that we are back to State Parks. We are in a Good Sam tonight, need to do laundry, also a regular shower will be nice. :)

The rig is running great and things are all working perfectly. Every campground we meet full time RV people and they are all so willing to share their practices and habits, we are picking up a lot of know how. We will be at Bottomless Lake State Park for at least 10 days after we leave this campground. Two nights here will be $52, the state park is $4 a night.

I have learned to keep my fresh water, gray water and black water tanks empty when moving, also to only get enough gas in the tank to get us where we are going with a little to spare. That really lightens up the rig and we get better gas mileage. Here we are hooked up directly to park water, sewer, power and cable TV, also on their WIFI. Haven't ran the generator in a couple of weeks. :)

We have found that when living on the road we should never pass up a Walmart. We keep stocked for two weeks at a time to conserve room, so every move we need to restock.

We make side trips to see and do interesting things and man, there are lots of things to see and do. I can honestly tell all of you, if you ever get the chance to live on the road, jump all over it. It is interesting to hear the reasons that people have the type of rig they do. Some live in very small trailers for extra mobility and they can get more places than someone like us with our 34 foot rig. Some just like a Class C better than a Class A like we have. Some even like small vans.

We even had a guy at the last place in a tent, instead of commuting to ENMU he just camps out 4 days a week. At that camp we even saw a wildfire a few miles away, fortunately it was going in the opposite direction with the wind. It's so damn dry here, even the locals are amazed by the drought. We aren't even making evening fires because of the dry conditions sand the wind, and many places don't allow it anyway.

Well, more tomorrow!

The Rev

Greetings Guys. We are currently in Deming, NM, for a solid month we will have internet and television.

Today was move day and it went all to hell. The house wouldn't start so we had to call our roadside coverage for a battery jump. After about and hour and trying 4 different batteries we discovered it was the starter. So I had to crawl under the motorhome and bang on the starter while the tow driver started it. Then just outside of Deming we stopped for propane and nothing would get the starter to work.

I called an auto parts store and asked if they would bring the starter to me AND THEY DID!!! I replaced it right there and we made it into town. Good thing it was only a 30 mile move!

So, where have we been. Since entering New Mexico we have stayed at the following state parks. Sugarite, Santa Rosa, Oasis, Sumner Lake, Bottomless Lakes, Brantley Lake, Rockhound and City of Rocks.

The beauty of this state constantly amazes me. Our favorite parks were Bottomless, Rockhound, Pancho Villa and City of Rocks. Here we can stay in each park for 21 consecutive days, then after being gone for 1 week we could stay for another 21 if we wanted. So far we haven't repeated because we want to see new places.

At Rockhound I found a beautiful Thunder Egg
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=t...bQ&cad=rja
that I will try to load images of.

We have been in a couple of snowstorms, had some wonderful weather and a lot in between. We have been through two Border Patrol Inspection points and they were all very nice and never even asked to look in our home. We were only a couple of miles from Mexico at Pancho Villa but we didn't cross, south of Tucson is probably where we will meet Sherry, another full timer, and ride over with her to replenish meds. We are part of the full timer family now and constantly meet many of the same people at various parks. Overall they are very nice people. With only a couple of exceptions the Park Rangers have even said we are part of the family.

We are still amazed at how friendly almost everyone we have met is.

Well, more in a bit, just wanted to check in real quick. I hope you are all well and happy.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Charley Brown on February 07, 2012, 12:35:53 AM
Greetings Guys. We are currently in Deming, NM, for a solid month we will have internet and television.

Damn, it's good to see you, Charley.   :)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

Charley!

Glad to hear things are going good man!
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Phox

Hy Charley, good to see you.  :)

The Rev

Hi guys! Good to see you all.

Roger, if we actually do make it to Tucson will try to give you a heads up. We have learned that our plans remain somewhat fluid depending on whether or not something shiny grabs our attention.

Luna

Good to see ya, Charley!
Death-dealing hormone freak of deliciousness
Pagan-Stomping Valkyrie of the Interbutts™
Rampaging Slayer of Shit-Fountain Habitues

"My father says that almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know, everybody you see, everybody you talk to. He says that only a few people are awake, and they live in a state of constant, total amazement."

Quote from: The Payne on November 16, 2011, 07:08:55 PM
If Luna was a furry, she'd sex humans and scream "BEASTIALITY!" at the top of her lungs at inopportune times.

Quote from: Nigel on March 24, 2011, 01:54:48 AM
I like the Luna one. She is a good one.

"Stop talking to yourself.  You don't like you any better than anyone else who knows you."

The Rev

Holy shit can e-mails pile up when you can't check them on a regular basis!

Juana

That they do! Good to hear from you. :D
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

LMNO

Glad to see things are working out for you two!