News:

One day, I shall make the news feed. Then they'll see. Then they'll all see! Mwahahahaha!!!!

Main Menu

Open book time

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, May 13, 2010, 04:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugmenоt

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 18, 2010, 07:35:28 PM
Quote from: Weltbürger on May 18, 2010, 07:29:12 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 18, 2010, 07:23:31 PM
Quote from: Weltbürger on May 18, 2010, 07:14:12 PM
Quote from: Triple Zero on May 18, 2010, 02:05:23 PM
Can you still read our texts with all those tears in your eyes about how MEAN we all are?

Yeah, you are all quite mean. At least one admits it. By the way, you have nice spacy avatar picture. I bet you are friendly spacy dutch guy who is not that mean at all! Keep up the good work!

I tend to think of myself as more average than mean. 

If you are not mean, you are not part of the set "you all". Is it really that hard?

Did anyone just feel a big breeze? 

Ok I'm not sure what your last two statements mean. Please explain. Saying "big breeze", you want to express that you ignore me? There are simpler ways to ignore me. Or is it an appeal for others to ignore me? I'm not familiar with a lot of english sayings and insiders. If you really have something to say me, please be more precise.

LMNO

Being more average than mean is just his mode, y'know?  Other than that, he's just another statistic.

Payne

Quote from: LMNO on May 18, 2010, 07:45:54 PM
Being more average than mean is just his mode, y'know?  Other than that, he's just another statistic.

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell.

BadBeast

Can you still read our texts with all those tears in your eyes about how MEAN we all are?

Yeah, you are all quite mean. At least one admits it. By the way, you have nice spacy avatar picture. I bet you are friendly spacy dutch guy who is not that mean at all! Keep up the good work!

Quote from: BadBeast on May 18, 2010, 02:56:01 PM
He doesn't need to read the fonts, default or not, his cat's eye infra red mind control lasers, can detect your  "Sobfailsob"  font, even though you are half way up an Alp, drinking Stella Artois, and comfort eating chocolate cuckoo clocks in lederhosen.

(Probably)

I had to look up "Stella Artois". Very clever, beer from Belgium. I have to try.
But you have forgotten the so called Reduit plan. The alps are full of bunkers which have given quite comfortable protection from laser cats for around eight centuries. I'm warning you. You are about to get a Swiss guy angry. Your bank account could be cancelled over night.
Ok, this "my nation is better" thing is already kind of worn out. I'll think of another one.

Yeah, I never really got the hang of  that "Nationalist pride" shit, cuz Thatcher milked it too hard in the 80's, and I never even "got it" then either. And I haven't had a Bank account for 20 years.

I'd like to say I haven't got one because I'm taking a personal stand against the greed of the uber-capitalist global pillage ethos, and the downwards spiral into a debt ridden cashless economy, but that isn't why. It's because I rinsed the last account I had and went a little over the top of my £400 overdraught. I say a little over the top, but it was quite a lot over the top. (The last I heard from them, I owed them £22000) 

Do you think I'd be able to use my credit history to open a Swiss Bank account? All I need is an account number, and I've a contact in Nigeria, who will give me 30%  of $6ooo,ooo US, if I can "Sit on" the money for 10 days, until he gets a flight out of Lagos.
I'll split it down the middle with you if you like, $3oo.ooo us each. All I need is your Bank Account no, and a valid Credit card no, and in 10 days time, I'll be  we'll be rich! You know I'd never rip you off, right?  :lulz: Buddy?
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

Payne

Quote from: BadBeast on May 18, 2010, 07:53:30 PM
I'd like to say I haven't got one because I'm taking a personal stand against the greed of the uber-capitalist global pillage ethos, and the downwards spiral into a debt ridden cashless economy, but that isn't why. It's because I rinsed the last account I had and went a little over the top of my £400 overdraught. I say a little over the top, but it was quite a lot over the top. (The last I heard from them, I owed them £22000) 

Do you think I'd be able to use my credit history to open a Swiss Bank account? All I need is an account number, and I've a contact in Nigeria, who will give me 30%  of $6ooo,ooo US, if I can "Sit on" the money for 10 days, until he gets a flight out of Lagos.
I'll split it down the middle with you if you like, $3oo.ooo us each. All I need is your Bank Account no, and a valid Credit card no, and in 10 days time, I'll be  we'll be rich! You know I'd never rip you off, right?  :lulz: Buddy?

Doesn't matter what happened with regards to credit with your previous bank. You can still open another one with another bank. Sure, you may not get any kind of lending facility. But it'll still be a bank account.

~~~Payne: Just opened a "Key Account" with RBS the other day, despite debt and very poor credit history.

AFK

Quote from: Weltbürger on May 18, 2010, 07:43:19 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 18, 2010, 07:35:28 PM
Quote from: Weltbürger on May 18, 2010, 07:29:12 PM
Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on May 18, 2010, 07:23:31 PM

I tend to think of myself as more average than mean. 

If you are not mean, you are not part of the set "you all". Is it really that hard?

Did anyone just feel a big breeze? 

Ok I'm not sure what your last two statements mean. Please explain. Saying "big breeze", you want to express that you ignore me? There are simpler ways to ignore me. Or is it an appeal for others to ignore me? I'm not familiar with a lot of english sayings and insiders. If you really have something to say me, please be more precise.

Are you saying your confidence level is a little low when it comes to understanding the significance of my speech? 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Wow.

I'm glad I retired from this shit.   :lulz:
Molon Lube

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on May 18, 2010, 08:08:57 PM

Doesn't matter what happened with regards to credit with your previous bank. You can still open another one with another bank. Sure, you may not get any kind of lending facility. But it'll still be a bank account.

~~~Payne: Just opened a "Key Account" with RBS the other day, despite debt and very poor credit history.

I know I could, but I'm just too recalcitrant, and bloody minded to do it. It's not like I've got my mattress bursting at the seams with cash or anything at the moment. Plus I'm not really ready to start something that I'm likely to get to a point with, where it starts to become useful, only to watch it all turn to shit in my hands again. Maybe when I've got a bit more structure around me, and a plan. Then I'll happily get on with it.
I know I'm going to start making excuses for it soon, and I'm fast running out of them. So who knows. I can feel a current shifting at the moment anyway, so I might just see what the tide's washing towards me and get myself a bit of a plan.
I don't think Weltbergers going to fall for that old Nigerian scam anyway.  :lol:    I only asked him, really, to see if he did have a sense of humour, hidden away, and so he could see I was no longer being hostile.
Somethings in the air this week, I think I'm feeling lucky.     
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Payne

Quote from: BadBeast on May 18, 2010, 08:46:29 PM

I know I could, but I'm just too recalcitrant, and bloody minded to do it. It's not like I've got my mattress bursting at the seams with cash or anything at the moment. Plus I'm not really ready to start something that I'm likely to get to a point with, where it starts to become useful, only to watch it all turn to shit in my hands again. Maybe when I've got a bit more structure around me, and a plan. Then I'll happily get on with it.
I know I'm going to start making excuses for it soon, and I'm fast running out of them. So who knows. I can feel a current shifting at the moment anyway, so I might just see what the tide's washing towards me and get myself a bit of a plan.    

Most banks offer an account where it's literally impossible to get into debt problems, as long as you don't incur charges for not covering Direct Debit and Standing Order payments.

The Key Account, I mentioned, for example, has absolutely NO facility to extend credit to me.

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Payne on May 18, 2010, 08:50:46 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on May 18, 2010, 08:46:29 PM

Most banks offer an account where it's literally impossible to get into debt problems, as long as you don't incur charges for not covering Direct Debit and Standing Order payments.

The Key Account, I mentioned, for example, has absolutely NO facility to extend credit to me.

You know what? I'm going to do it. I've got no really valid reason not to. And lots of reasons why it could be helpful.
I've just been sat here, trying to think of why I really haven't done it already, and I can't come up with anything that
sounds even vaguely plausible. Plus I've got a flat full of useless clutter, that needs to be ebayed, so I can actually move around in it for a change, and I can't do that without an account. Going to try and make my own fucking luck for a change. And I ve been thinking I really do deserve a bit of luck. So thanks for the kick up the arse. :)

Payne

Quote from: BadBeast on May 18, 2010, 09:03:00 PM
You know what? I'm going to do it. I've got no really valid reason not to. And lots of reasons why it could be helpful.
I've just been sat here, trying to think of why I really haven't done it already, and I can't come up with anything that
sounds even vaguely plausible. Plus I've got a flat full of useless clutter, that needs to be ebayed, so I can actually move around in it for a change, and I can't do that without an account. Going to try and make my own fucking luck for a change. And I ve been thinking I really do deserve a bit of luck. So thanks for the kick up the arse. :)

Trust me, I've been sitting here paralysed for a few years now without an account. It's not a necessity to get by in life, but it really DOES make things easier.

With accounts so easy to get, there really is little reason not to have one.

bugmenоt

@badbeast: I've got that email from Nigeria too! We surely can work on a plan to help that poor guy and then get rich. You have PM with my cc number. [Ok now I just saw that you just quit the little game ... noone would have believed me that I believe you anyway...]

But if you really don't have a bank account, hats off! My advise is to keep that up as long as it is bearable. For me it wouldn't be bearable. How would I pay stuff like taxes or internet bills without e-banking? How would I find a job which pays salary without a bank account? But it would be a very interesting experiment to just cancel my bank account and face the difficulties. I don't trust banks at all.

Swiss banks still do their best to not care about the origin of the money they store. If you have a bad paying history, see what payne said. If people from other countries open an account, the banks often simply send a standard form to the customer who is "supposed" to fill it out and send it to his government. If the customer doesn't, the bank does not care.
The banks can do that because of an old Swiss tradition called "Bankgeheimnis" =^ "bank secret". Many Swiss citiziens feel insulted in their national pride if it comes out that banks hand out customer data to governments. The bank UBS, which has done this recently, has lost the trust of many customers. And even though, they managed to get a 60 billion francs (=54 billion $) rescue package from Switzerland.

It's a kind of reasonable and easy way to blame banks for many bad things in the world. I sometimes have to settle down and not be too stubborn about it. I mean, another reasonable view is to think "what are the benefits and risks to me to open a bank account?" ... Then you can say that you have great benefits because a bank account makes things easier, and you don't take that much of a big risk to lose your money.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on May 18, 2010, 02:56:01 PM
He doesn't need to read the fonts, default or not, his cat's eye infra red mind control lasers, can detect your  "Sobfailsob"  font, even though you are half way up an Alp, drinking Stella Artois, and comfort eating chocolate cuckoo clocks in lederhosen.

(Probably)

I had to look up "Stella Artois". Very clever, beer from Belgium. I have to try.
But you have forgotten the so called Reduit plan. The alps are full of bunkers which have given quite comfortable protection from laser cats for around eight centuries. I'm warning you. You are about to get a Swiss guy angry. Your bank account could be cancelled over night.
Ok, this "my nation is better" thing is already kind of worn out. I'll think of another one.

Should be "have given sufficiently comfortable protection from laser cats for the past eight centuries"

"Ok, this "my nation is better" thing is already kind of worn out. I'll think of another one."
Join the EU already. Oh wait, hahahah, no, don't do that just yet. (Speaking as a dual citizen with Ireland/EU)

Most of us, I reckon, don't have swiss bank accounts. All of mine are in the US. Because I'm poor and have no reason for tax evasion.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

To jack this back on thread, I've just finished "Fall of Kings" by David and Stella Gemmell. I have loved David Gemmell's books ever since the early 80's when I first read "Legend" and have never been even slightly disappointed by any of his books. He writes the most engaging Heroic Fantasy
I have ever read, (And believe me, I've read much) This was the third in the "Shield of Troy" series, and sadly, he died halfway through the book. His Wife came downstairs one morning and found him slumped over his keyboard, dead. So she finished the book for him. And to be honest, I couldn't tell where she took over from. It is one of the best re-tellings of the Iliead there is, and seems to build itself around minor characters, with the Heroes and Kings, taking a back seat. There are a few liberties taken, as far as sticking faithfully to Homer's version, but that's OK.
Notably, there is no mention of a wooden horse at all, the Trojan Horse in Gemmell's story, is the Cavalry of Troy. And there is no recounting of Achilles' desecration of Hector's body, or Priam's sneaking into the Greek Camp to retrieve it.

And Gemmell, (never one to reject an idea for fleshing out a tale) actually has Moses as one of the minor characters throughout the Trilogy. Of course, you don't actually realise it's Moses until about halfway through the third book, but it's very well done. Agamemnon is portrayed  as a thoroughly unlikable murderous, power hungry man, Meneleas, as a cuckolded Drunken halfwit, (So much for the Noble House Atreides)  Priam as a scheming, cold hearted Bastard, who degenerates into dementia towards the end, but still surprises us with some of the motivation behind his character. The only King, in the whole story who has any Honour, is of course Odysseus.  But the whole story is built up around Two Greek Warriors, Banokles, and Palliades, who, through circumstance, end up fighting for the Trojans.  Gemmell's Heroes are  generally all deeply flawed characters, but with an unfailing sense of Honour, when it comes to the shove.
That's what what set's him above all other writers in his genre, the depth of his characters. He builds them from their pasts, and they all have a
Nobility that is not always apparent  but is always  tested and fought for, by the inner demons that drive his characters.
But I can wholeheartedly recommend any of his books. If your idea of Heroic Fantasy, is limited to Elric of Melnibone, and all those other Moorcockian emulators, then you are in for a pleasant surprise with Gemmell. His style is more reminiscent of Bernard Cornwell, or Umbert Eco than Moorcock or Tolkien, and his books are fairly prolific.
Which is just as well, because sadly he won't be writing anymore.

Payne

Yeah, I went through a phase when I was younger of reading every Gemmel book I could find. I was on a serious Fantasy kick at the time. "Dark Moon" was awesome, and it's actually one of the few books of his I still have.

Also recomended is Eddings - he's not the best of writers in terms of plot or even in technical aspects, but his characterisation is spot on, he makes many nods to the very roots of his genre and manages to make some of the best jokes in Fantasy fiction. It's just unfortunate that over the course of four different series of books (the two Belgarion series and the two Sparhawk ones), he manages to tell pretty much the same story four times with pretty much the same characters (just with different names). But what characters!