News:

There's a sucker born every minute... and you are right on time.

Main Menu

YAY! We're all Soverign States!

Started by Telarus, June 02, 2010, 07:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Is the Vatican a Sovereign State?
Elena Kagan and her colleagues in the solicitor general's office say it is.

http://www.slate.com/id/2255270/
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Telarus

Oh, this one's Hilarious:

http://www.slate.com/id/2255105

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
In the late 1950s, three men who identified as the Son of God were forced to live together in a mental hospital. What happened?
Telarus, KSC,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Telarus on June 02, 2010, 07:37:51 PM

The Vatican has been considered a sovereign city-state for longer than most current sovereign states have existed. It's official title is the "State of the Vatican City".  They issue their own passports... I'm not really sure what the author was driving at, other than thinking that Obama should play a modern day Henry Tudor ;-)

Don't get me wrong... after all the abuse, I'd go after them via the UN. "Turn over the Molesters or face sanctions." Heck, maybe even invasion, who's afraid of the Swiss?  :argh!:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cramulus

Quote from: Telarus on June 02, 2010, 07:43:44 PM

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus
In the late 1950s, three men who identified as the Son of God were forced to live together in a mental hospital. What happened?

bwaaaaaaahahahahah that was a great read! thanks!

Telarus

I think this is the pertinent issue:

QuoteTo give just one example that has not so far had the attention it deserves, the State Department is required by Congress to make an annual report on the human rights record of every government with which we have relations. Yet there is no annual human rights report on the Vatican—or Vatican City or the Holy See, if you prefer. When questioned on this rather glaring lacuna, officials at Foggy Bottom say that for human rights purposes, the Vatican is not  a state. It enjoys, for example, only the status of an observer at the United Nations. Very well then, if the Supreme Court rules that it is a sovereign government, then it necessarily follows that it must be subjected to official scrutiny on its rights practices, which in international law include the treatment of children. It will be interesting to see how the Obama administration gets itself off the horns of that dilemma
Telarus, KSC,

Chairman Risus

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

Great read.

Reminded me of another article I read once, which now that I think of it, might be a repost on this forum.

Nephew Twiddleton

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

I seem to recall a friend of mine telling me about this case a few years ago. Interesting thing to do.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

the last yatto

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 02, 2010, 10:11:05 PM

Jesus, Jesus, Jesus

I seem to recall a friend of mine telling me about this case a few years ago. Interesting thing to do.

I instantly think of some highlander like ending... im curious now
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ratatosk on June 02, 2010, 07:56:09 PM

The Vatican has been considered a sovereign city-state for longer than most current sovereign states have existed. It's official title is the "State of the Vatican City".  They issue their own passports... I'm not really sure what the author was driving at, other than thinking that Obama should play a modern day Henry Tudor ;-)

Don't get me wrong... after all the abuse, I'd go after them via the UN. "Turn over the Molesters or face sanctions." Heck, maybe even invasion, who's afraid of the Swiss?  :argh!:

Not true. The concept of the Vatican as an actual country separate from Italy is a fairly modern one. And the Swiss Guards would fucking pretty much anybody.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 03, 2010, 04:55:57 PM

Not true. The concept of the Vatican as an actual country separate from Italy is a fairly modern one. And the Swiss Guards would fucking pretty much anybody.

YEah, they're pretty stringent on the Swiss soldiers they choose. Switzerland may be a military joke, but the Swiss Guard aren't.
Invading the Vatican would also lose you the Catholic vote.

East Coast Hustle

I don't know how you could call them a military joke. Hell, even the Wehrmacht didn't want to fuck with them.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on June 03, 2010, 05:19:06 PM
I don't know how you could call them a military joke. Hell, even the Wehrmacht didn't want to fuck with them.
Interesting angle, I'll have to study it more. Mountains=strategic defense. THough I was under the impression there were different reasons for that.

East Coast Hustle

1) The swiss have the highest rate of private gun ownership of any nation on earth. When it comes right down to it, their military is everyone.

2) If you allow for the inclusion of "soft power" under the military power umbrella, it's hard to argue against the military power of the country that's keeping all of your bank deposits safe.

Adios

A priest is a member of the nation they were born to and subject to those laws. No one need the fucking permission of the goddam vatican to prosecute those assholes.

Adios

Besides that go to another fucking country and break the law and see what happens. Nationality means jack shit.