News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

I am on a 12 hour coach journey! Ask Me Anything.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, June 10, 2010, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 01:52:46 PM
Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 01:19:16 PM
Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on June 10, 2010, 12:14:37 PM
I have never been on American train, therefore Pixie does not know.

Do you hits even have trains?

Yes, an extensive network of them, since the 1800s. Called Amtrak.

America's huge. Sometimes cars are really impractical.

Sometimes Amtrak is really impractical also.

-Suu
Why does it cost $125 roundtrip to go 150 miles to NYC and back?

True that

Don't worry, when the Metro North meets the MBTA in Warwick someday, it'll only be like $30 roundtrip for a 5 hour local train ride! You should see that new train station, holy shit! It has a long glass walkway to the airport.

I haven't heard of this but it sounds really convenient. I also hate driving and parking in NYC, so that would be a plus
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 02:01:10 PM
Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 01:58:47 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 01:52:46 PM
Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 01:44:23 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 01:19:16 PM
Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on June 10, 2010, 12:14:37 PM
I have never been on American train, therefore Pixie does not know.

Do you hits even have trains?

Yes, an extensive network of them, since the 1800s. Called Amtrak.

America's huge. Sometimes cars are really impractical.

Sometimes Amtrak is really impractical also.

-Suu
Why does it cost $125 roundtrip to go 150 miles to NYC and back?

True that

Don't worry, when the Metro North meets the MBTA in Warwick someday, it'll only be like $30 roundtrip for a 5 hour local train ride! You should see that new train station, holy shit! It has a long glass walkway to the airport.

I haven't heard of this but it sounds really convenient. I also hate driving and parking in NYC, so that would be a plus

They've been planning this for years, only because of how many people in RI work in Manhattan and come home on the weekends. It's HUGE new garage too. The tracks are the Amtrak Regional ones, and MBTA fronted a chunk of the cash to pay for the station, so it will serve as both MBTA and Amtrak for now I believe, and they are also building a new station in Wickford to connect the Kingston and Westerly stations into the MBTA network, so you'll be able to take a commuter rail from the far end of Southern RI into Boston.

As for MTA/Metro North, RI will have to provide it's own train, like how CT has it's own into New Haven, but the MTA said that they do have the capacity at Grand Central for another line. So for a while, RI was talking about purchasing trains for express service to Boston and Manhattan, however...we have no money. So this is why it's taking 8 years, not 2.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, the big issue that Amtrak sees (since they own the tracks) is making sure that MBTA and RIPTA maintain that Amtrak always has the right of way, and if added more trains through Connecticut will cause severe issues during peak hours. So what will PROBABLY happen, is that the RIPTA train will serve the 5 RI stops, and then go express into New Haven, where you will have to transfer to an MTA Metro North. Same thing in reverse, it will go into Providence where you'll transfer on an MBTA purple line into Boston.

Other than that, the station in Warwick is going to be HUGE. It's going to provide people will an easier method of getting too and from T.F. Green from Eastern CT and Southern MA instead of driving through RI or going to Bradley or Logan. By bringing more passengers into Green, the airport is tickled that it will get the runway expansion it's been itchin' for, and being able to support larger aircraft for more non-stop flights.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 02:17:46 PM
Also, the big issue that Amtrak sees (since they own the tracks) is making sure that MBTA and RIPTA maintain that Amtrak always has the right of way, and if added more trains through Connecticut will cause severe issues during peak hours. So what will PROBABLY happen, is that the RIPTA train will serve the 5 RI stops, and then go express into New Haven, where you will have to transfer to an MTA Metro North. Same thing in reverse, it will go into Providence where you'll transfer on an MBTA purple line into Boston.

Other than that, the station in Warwick is going to be HUGE. It's going to provide people will an easier method of getting too and from T.F. Green from Eastern CT and Southern MA instead of driving through RI or going to Bradley or Logan. By bringing more passengers into Green, the airport is tickled that it will get the runway expansion it's been itchin' for, and being able to support larger aircraft for more non-stop flights.

I might end up visiting Rhode Island more in the future, since it's becoming more convenient

Triple Zero

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Suu

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 02:22:09 PM

I might end up visiting Rhode Island more in the future, since it's becoming more convenient

It's already easy from Boston.

www.peterbanbus.com
www.mbta.com

Pope Pixie Pickle

See I've only been on the San Fransisco metro and been to Arizona. (I did know about Amtrack but was under the impression that its coverage is not amazing outside the east coast)

Twid- I am going to see Payne and do the DoD in Edinburgh.

Next stop is Penrith, so coach board says.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 02:47:30 PM

www.peterbanbus.com
www.mbta.com

Yeah, but for as long as I remember there was only a stop in Providence. Which is good, but would like to see more of the state.

Suu

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 03:04:45 PM

www.peterbanbus.com
www.mbta.com

Yeah, but for as long as I remember there was only a stop in Providence. Which is good, but would like to see more of the state.

www.ripta.com

$1.75 gets you anywhere in the state from Providence, including Newport and even as far south as the Block Island Ferry.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on June 10, 2010, 02:48:50 PM
See I've only been on the San Fransisco metro and been to Arizona. (I did know about Amtrack but was under the impression that its coverage is not amazing outside the east coast)

Twid- I am going to see Payne and do the DoD in Edinburgh.

Next stop is Penrith, so coach board says.

Connects most major cities, I think.

Triple Zero

any idea what the weather will be like in Edinburgh?

it's my most un-favourite weather over here right now, 23.5 degrees hot and sweaty moist humid sticky white skies.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pope Pixie Pickle

It is aPparently currently about 20 degrees C. I am now near Manchester and have about 6 more hours to go.

Suu

I think it's warmer there in Old England than it is here. :(

It's 56F in Providence, that's what? 13 degrees Celsius?   :x

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on June 10, 2010, 03:07:15 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on June 10, 2010, 03:04:45 PM

www.peterbanbus.com
www.mbta.com

www.ripta.com

$1.75 gets you anywhere in the state from Providence, including Newport and even as far south as the Block Island Ferry.

Good to know, thanks!

Pope Pixie Pickle

For to check weather in teh UK check Met Office website.