News:

If they treat education like a product, they can't very well bitch when you act like a consumer.

Main Menu

Super Easy Hawaiian Teriyaki Sauce

Started by Telarus, June 13, 2010, 06:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

You will need:

A big pan.

Grated Ginger (to taste, I use about a third of the big ginger root I buy to 2-cups-each of the below ingredients)

Equal amounts of -

Soy Sauce

Water

Sugar (I use hawaiian brown cane sugar)

Instructions:

Warm all ingredients in your big pan on medium, stirring every few minutes. DO NOT BOIL.

Once you can see steam rising from the surface when you stir, turn heat down to medium-low. Stir every few minutes until all of the sugar has been dissolved (make sure to get into the corners of the pan with your wooden spoon).

Let simmer(? as long as it's just steaming.. remember, no boiling) on low to medium-low for oooooh, half an hour to 45 minutes (you're looking to evaporate extra water and thicken the sauce slightly).

LET COOL COMPLETELY.

At this point you have 2 options.

1) Marinate your choice of meat (avoid white-meat chicken with this method, stick to thighs) for AT LEAST 24 HOURS in the fridge. Grill over open flame.

2) Mix a small amount of corn starch with warm water, blend until a smooth watery mixture. Slowly add this to a few cups of your sauce until you have the consistency you want. You can bottle this in diner-style ketchup bottles for ease of application. (Use this to stir-fry white-meat chicken or other items)

Refrigerate, keeps for a frikken long time.

------------------------------------------

I have 32 chicken thighs that have been marinating in my fridge overnight for the kiddo's 11th birthday party today.

Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken-burgers FTW!
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Sir Squid Diddimus

I love chicken dark meat.

Sauce sounds good :)

Triple Zero

That sounds really good.

I could be wrong but Teriyaki sauce needs to have rice wine vinegar in it, too. Probably good for rounding out the flavours, anyway, as well as keeping it good for even longer :)

This is what I usually do for teriyaki sauce:

- a peeled chunk of ginger root
- dark soy sauce (not sweet, the salty kind)
- rice wine vinegar
- molasses syrup (honey or sugar is fine too)
- garlic (I love garlic)
- ground black pepper
- a pinch of Ve-Tsin (MSG)

combine in a tall cup or container, and blend to a smooth pulp with the blender-onna-stick.

I usually use it to marinade salmon in.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cainad (dec.)

Telarus

Cainaid> Ohyeah!

Trip> That was the 'bare minimum' version. I use rice-wine itself, along with garlic during the long brew. Then add black pepper and a splash of sesame oil into the container I'm marinating in (for the long marinate version), add sauce, stir it up and throw in the meat-stuff.

On the rice-wine, use Mirin instead of Sake (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirin), it has a higher sugar content and lower alcohol content. If using Mirin, use less Sugar/Honey.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!