News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Dirty Hippie Soup

Started by Hoser McRhizzy, June 16, 2010, 09:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoser McRhizzy

I've been making this for over a decade and it's a good pick-me-up kind of meal (tasty vitamin OD).  Just a normal pot of soup, revamped in the 90s after reading Healing Wise, and it changes every time I make it (which is every month or so).  Haven't included any measurements... just remember it's got to fit in the pot you're using, don't skimp on the leaves or burdock, and don't use salt (you can add it when you're ready to eat if you need to).

Get some:
Onion                  
Olive Oil (for sautéing the onion)
Burdock Root (peel and chop - for unpeeled, see the note below)      
Parsnips and Potatoes
Cold Water   
White Vinegar            
Dandelion Leaf, Collard Greens, Kale and Rapini (I use all 4, but just one is good)
Arugula (just a small bit: you're using it as a herb/seasoning, not as a vegetable)
Vegetable Soup Stock (no salt – homemade or organic if you can swing it)
Chicken (dark and/or white meat, chopped)      
Ginger Root (shave it and slice)
Garlic (smashed and chopped)      
Black and Cayenne Pepper
Celery

- Cut up your veg (burdock, parsnips, potato) into stew-size pieces, throw them in a bowl, cover with cold water and add a tbsp or 2 of white vinegar.
- Tear up or chop your leaves.
- Oil + onion in a pot.  Add your leaves when the onions are pretty (not limp).  Continue to sauté til the leaves are a darker green (just a minute should do it).
- Throw in the veg (water and all).
- Add a few slices of ginger root (I use 4, but that's pretty hot), arugula, your black and cayenne pepper, garlic (I only use 2 cloves, but you might want more) and chicken bits.
- Add as much soup stock as you need to cover the lot.  Chicken stock is fine as a substitute – just makes the soup softer and the veg less veg-like.
- Turn up the heat, bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer.
- Add celery about 15-20 minutes before you're ready to eat.

Note: Leaving the skin on the burdock makes it a stronger soup, which I love, but you should soak it by itself, discard the dirty water, and then soak it again.  Even then, you'll end up with some silt in the bottom of the pot.  Doesn't bother me, but that's where the first half of the name comes from. 

'Hippie,' because you're eating weeds.
It feels unreal because it's trickling up.

Nephew Twiddleton

No actual hippies in the ingredients?  :sad:
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Freeky

Hippies are bad for the digestion. This is actualy medical fact, do not question.

/Nurse Freeky

Hoser McRhizzy

^truth^

They won't tenderize, no matter how hard you beat on them.  Besides, there's no challenge in harvesting a bushel of hippies.  They just lay there and mumble about The Man.  If you want to give it a go and it works out, let me know what the sekrit is to good hippie cookin', but I do recommend chicken - doesn't give you patchouli-scented-body-odor breath.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

ThatGreenGentleman

Rhizome!!!! I would like to try your soup~!!!!! If possible, with hippies as an ingredient!!  :lulz:
As a gentleman, it is my duty to wear top-hats.

Hoser McRhizzy

Quote from: ThatGreenGentleman on June 17, 2010, 03:37:09 AM
Rhizome!!!! I would like to try your soup~!!!!! If possible, with hippies as an ingredient!!  :lulz:

Awesome!  Next time you're up this way, you bring the hippies, I'll bring the veg, and we'll have ourselves a feast.  :lol:

ThatGreenGentleman

Quote from: Nurse Rhizome on June 17, 2010, 10:33:57 PM
Quote from: ThatGreenGentleman on June 17, 2010, 03:37:09 AM

Awesome!  Next time you're up this way, you bring the hippies, I'll bring the veg, and we'll have ourselves a feast.  :lol:

Woot!! I'll bring PZ with me, i know she'll love that soup.  :lulz:
As a gentleman, it is my duty to wear top-hats.

Suu

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

Freeky

Adios

Hoser McRhizzy