News:

Please take a stand against our terrible values

Main Menu

words on weak but pure freedom

Started by minuspace, June 23, 2010, 11:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

minuspace

Liberté, égalité, fraternité:  some of the most dangerous words.  We all have some contention with at least one of them, regardless, their efficacy has been proven.  These words, synthetically, in various permutations, have given rise to modern revolution.  Context and events may have been different, but the ideas are the same.

I want to focus on freedom, and have a discussion about how it is relevant to "change change".

By this I mean not the false token you might give to charity, with inauthentic auspices of hope.  I mean the constraints we put on freedom need to be changed.  Freedom has been materialized as a commodity of exchange, with the strict but strong definition of having the possibility to do otherwise.  This gives the illusion of a strong sense of freedom with respect to how we identify our action or decisions as having originated from our independent agency.

It does not take long to find strong arguments against this form of radical freedom: socio-biological, ethical-aesthetic, meta-physical etc.

So by change now I mean making a difference, and freedom the possibility to do so.  The condition on the possibility of being free IS freedom in the fist place...  Does that make any sense to anyone? :mittens: 

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 23, 2010, 06:00:56 PM
You mittened your own post?

Might as well, I'm not sure the post will be clear enough to anyone else to mitten it...
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Elder Iptuous

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Captain Utopia

Requia ☣

Quote from: minuspace on June 23, 2010, 11:41:36 AM
Liberté, égalité, fraternité:  some of the most dangerous words.  We all have some contention with at least one of them, regardless, their efficacy has been proven.  These words, synthetically, in various permutations, have given rise to modern revolution.  Context and events may have been different, but the ideas are the same.

I want to focus on freedom, and have a discussion about how it is relevant to "change change".

By this I mean not the false token you might give to charity, with inauthentic auspices of hope.  I mean the constraints we put on freedom need to be changed.  Freedom has been materialized as a commodity of exchange, with the strict but strong definition of having the possibility to do otherwise.  This gives the illusion of a strong sense of freedom with respect to how we identify our action or decisions as having originated from our independent agency.

It does not take long to find strong arguments against this form of radical freedom: socio-biological, ethical-aesthetic, meta-physical etc.

So by change now I mean making a difference, and freedom the possibility to do so.  The condition on the possibility of being free IS freedom in the fist place...  Does that make any sense to anyone? :mittens: 

What we call rights have become privileges, because they can be taken away, and a small number of rights is better than a large number of privileges.  Do I have you right?

If so, Dok already rants about that on occasion.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

minuspace

Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 23, 2010, 08:54:04 PM
Quote from: minuspace on June 23, 2010, 11:41:36 AM

By this I mean not the false token you might give to charity, with inauthentic auspices of hope.  I mean the constraints we put on freedom need to be changed.  

What we call rights have become privileges, because they can be taken away, and a small number of rights is better than a large number of privileges.  Do I have you right?

If so, Dok already rants about that on occasion.

Just looked through my post and it did not seem as though my biases in thought implied any sense of what is "right".  Beyond the aesthetic or moral, i think there is a structural formulation to freedom that is more basic and compelling.  To address you response, however, a "right" is something that cannot be taken away unless we consent to so doing.  In which case you can rightfully call it a privilege if it behooves you give away your freedom and responsibility.

Remember.  You walk on holy ground.  There is no order, therefore, anything is possible.  Do as thou wilt for it is the law. :hammer:

Requia ☣

Too late, other people already consented.  They just gave up access to lawyers, and I'm pretty sure that was the last one.

minuspace

In the end, habeas corpus will not be denied.  I'm trying to focus on the forgotten habeas mentem.  :aww:

minuspace

Potential freedom is greater than actual freedom? :D

Requia ☣

Quote from: minuspace on June 24, 2010, 09:08:17 AM
In the end, habeas corpus will not be denied.  I'm trying to focus on the forgotten habeas mentem:aww:

I find it really disturbing that thats an actual term and not a pun.

minuspace

Quote from: Requia ☣ on June 25, 2010, 07:16:57 AM
In the end, habeas corpus will not be denied.  I'm trying to focus on the forgotten habeas mentem:aww:

True, like the colors Red and Blue?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: minuspace on June 27, 2010, 08:36:29 PM

You so zany.
Molon Lube

minuspace

Quote from: Doktor Howl on June 27, 2010, 08:49:15 PM
Quote from: minuspace on June 27, 2010, 08:36:29 PM

You so zany.

Away To saY iT, fanny ;-)