News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

The Less Wrong Wiki

Started by Cain, June 28, 2010, 12:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

For those of you who have been enjoying Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, I thought I should point out that the author has a wiki/blog at http://wiki.lesswrong.com/

Of particular interest is the Sequences, which I am attempting to put into a single, readable, PDF format.

Triple Zero

I tried crawling and converting those pages with a few scripts, but I was in a hurry to configure it and it didn't go very well.

The upshot is, that a misconfigured spider left running by itself for a while crawls and collects all sorts of things which means it seems that I now have about 1.15GB of supplemental data from other domains that are linked on lesswrong.com and wiki.lesswrong, most of them PDF files, I suppose.

I did also get all of the pages (I think), but it started crawling the history of different versions of the wiki pages at some point (even though I explicitly told it not to), and it's in zillions of files and directories and a bit of a mess.

I should probably write my own spider so it'll just do what I tell it to.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Captain Utopia

Quote from: Cain on June 28, 2010, 12:18:59 PM
Of particular interest is the Sequences, which I am attempting to put into a single, readable, PDF format.

This would be awesome.

LMNO

Cain thank you for doing the work the rest of us should be doing.  Myself included.  I owe you one.

Cain

I'm up to Reductionism, the fourth set of sequences out of the 8 major ones.  And I've already got 351 pages copied over.

I might pretty this up and email it to Yudowsky at some point, too.

Kai

I read through Reductionism, Rationality, and Changing Your Own Mind. Also a few of the minor sequences.

Pretty much stopped there. I feel like I have a handle on the basics and Yudowsky's posts and comments often feel like somewhere between lecturing, preaching and proselytizing. Especially when he presents false dilemmas in his own reasoning.

For example, this post: http://lesswrong.com/lw/kn/torture_vs_dust_specks/ The question is an obvious false dilemma looking for a third alternative.

I did like Alicorn's minor sequence on Living Luminously very much. I recommend.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

Cain, if you finish this project, I may be forced to drop hundreds of dollars on a PRS-900 or Kindle DX. 

HAVE YUO NO MERCY?!  :x

Cain

The latest Kindle Wifi is actually pretty affordable.

Also, I have three more subsequences to go and I'll have completed this.  It wont be pretty, I'll do that some other time, but all the entries and most of the diagrams (a few wouldn't copy over) will be present.  This currently stands at 1112 pages, or, if you prefer, 529,909 words.

Cain

Here you are, fuckos

http://ifile.it/5fk84zg

3.694 MB, 32 hours of editing (according to Word).

Jasper

Holy fucking crap.

I now owe you a paycheck's worth of beers.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

LMNO

LMNO

Yeah, um... What format did you save that in?  It's a ".docx" file on my computer, and it looks like I don't have anything on my (Mac, I know) that opens it.

Cain

.docx is the Word 2007 format.  What format would you like it in?