News:

That's okay, I know how to turn my washing machine into a centrifuge if need be.

Main Menu

You can set your watch by the outrage

Started by Cain, July 07, 2010, 12:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2010/07/charlie-bolden-2.html

QuoteWhen I became the NASA Administrator – before I became the NASA Administrator – he charged me with three things: One was that he wanted me to re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, that he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with predominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science, math, and engineering."

Question: Are you in some sort of diplomatic role .. to win hearts and minds?

Bolden: NO NO, not at all. Its not a diplomatic anything. What it is – is that it is trying to expand our outreach so that we get more people who can contribute to the things that we do – the international Space Station is as great as it is because we have a conglomerate of about 15 plus nations who have contributed something to that partnership that has made it what it is today ..."

It it involves Muslims, science and historical facts, therefore it will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth.  All it needs is something to do with Jeremiah Wright or Bill Ayers and the circle will be complete.

AFK

My money says Glenn Beck picks up this baton first and finds a way to, once again, link it to Hitler and the Nazis. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Elder Iptuous

already set my watch.
went to the folks' house last night and my dad announced that Obama has changed the NASA mission statement to 'help the muslims get into space'.
i expressed my dubiousness just shy of pressing hot buttons that would lead to quarrel.  almost let myself go when he said that Islam is 'the religion of Satan' and that justifies any actions against them. :argh!:

Cain

Wow, that was quick.  I was hoping I had beaten the actual outrage already.  Now I has a sad  :sad:

LMNO

Does anyone know if a wingnut has pounced on the fact that the Muslims invented algebra to prove that the intellectual elites are anti-christian?

Because that would be a really good bouncing ball of idiot paranoia to get started.

Cain

I don't know for sure she has said it, but Debbie Schlussel is always a good bet for general nuttiness (Pammy Atlas goes without saying).  Schlussel has whined before that because a Kuwait company bought Aston Martin, it was ROONT FOREVER and retroactively made James Bond unsexy.  I'm sure she'd denounce algebra if she knew how Islamic it was.

AFK

Wait until the Texas Board of Education gets wind of that little factoid.  Poor kids will get 3 years of Geometry. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Zyzyx

Yes, the Muslim world pioneered mathematics, physics, astronomy medicine, navigation, they preserved the classics... 1300 years ago.This whole thing just sounds patronizing in the way some faux-PC soccer mom tries to cover for an embarrassing racial remark right in front of a member of the offended demographic. Instead of just, you know, trying to just get out of their way.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: LMNO on July 07, 2010, 01:52:23 PM
Does anyone know if a wingnut has pounced on the fact that the Muslims invented algebra to prove that the intellectual elites are anti-christian?

Because that would be a really good bouncing ball of idiot paranoia to get started.

Why stop there? They gave us our numerals too. All math is therefore evil and Islamic. We should go back to using good old Roman numerals and Greek geometry.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Suu

This can become an amazing troll!
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Suu on July 08, 2010, 12:43:18 AM
This can become an amazing troll!

A good side troll could be advocating to go back to using only units of measurement mentioned in the Bible.
Screw Metric. To Hell with Imperial. Go Biblical!

How many cubits per hour would the speed limit be?

Jasper

228,800 cubits per hour.

At least, the way I drive in 50 mph zones.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 13, 2010, 09:41:49 PM
228,800 cubits per hour.

At least, the way I drive in 50 mph zones.

That's a delightfully inconvenient number. I will have to formulate my troll....

Jasper

You could also say 3.8 kilocubits per second.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Sigmatic on July 14, 2010, 06:04:49 AM
You could also say 3.8 kilocubits per second.

TOO METRIC SOUNDING!

We can call them God-cubits. It's kinda like explaining how the world can be made in 6 days by saying that they're days as God percieves them.