News:

PD.com: We have 73 Virgins!

Main Menu

Greetings

Started by alhazred, July 21, 2010, 06:41:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cain on July 23, 2010, 05:59:38 PM
I really don't have the time or inclination to hold a noob's hand nowadays.  If they can't be bothered to lurk a little and get a basic feel for the forum, then I can't be bothered to have a charitable disposition to their literary turdlings.

Yeah, there's that, too.

Thing is, there are plenty of people here who never got shat on when they joined, because they didn't act retarded.  There are also people who DID get shat on who reacted with some humor, and stuck around.

Almost everyone here has been through the mill at one time or another, either as noobs, or later on.  If a noob comes into a Discordian board and doesn't even look around, then can't handle the fun when he sticks his crank in the meatgrinder, then screw 'em.
Molon Lube

AFK

I was treated pretty nicely when I arrived.  (Of course i didn't arrive a puns a blazing either ;) )

But I do remember a particular dust-up I had with a couple of the other long-timers not too far into my pd.com residency.  It does kind of make you a bit stronger on the other side of it, if you survive.  :)
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: RWHN on July 23, 2010, 06:07:28 PM
I was treated pretty nicely when I arrived.  (Of course i didn't arrive a puns a blazing either ;) )

But I do remember a particular dust-up I had with a couple of the other long-timers not too far into my pd.com residency.  It does kind of make you a bit stronger on the other side of it, if you survive.  :)

Pixie and Nurse Freeky were also treated very nicely, as was Nurse Mayhem and Von Melee (the last two showing that our judgement isn't always skewed toward dumping on people), as well as Richter, Suu, and a few others.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

sure, some people hit it off right off the bat

there's also a lot of people which suck at first, but will stop sucking once they "get" the culture around here. As of this post, there are 537465 posts on this forum, scattered over 15 slightly different subforums, I think it's understandable to take a while to figure out what our culture is like. Our brand of discordianism / social protocol is very specific & hard to explain.

btw, who cares if they didn't post in the really real for real intro thread? I sure don't care.

I do get the sinking sense I'm about to be hit with the OKAY NOW WE MUST ALLOW ALL IDIOTS TO POST ANYTHING THEY WANT response

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 23, 2010, 06:18:03 PM
sure, some people hit it off right off the bat

there's also a lot of people which suck at first, but will stop sucking once they "get" the culture around here. As of this post, there are 537465 posts on this forum, scattered over 15 slightly different subforums, I think it's understandable to take a while to figure out what our culture is like. Our brand of discordianism / social protocol is very specific & hard to explain.

btw, who cares if they didn't post in the really real for real intro thread? I sure don't care.

I do get the sinking sense I'm about to be hit with the OKAY NOW WE MUST ALLOW ALL IDIOTS TO POST ANYTHING THEY WANT response

Neither do I, really.  It's not like we have a limited number of threads we can use before we run out.

It's really just that I'm a bad person, and I like to dump on certain kinds of people.  If those people bounce back, then I am proven wrong in my assessment of them, and everyone wins.  If they don't, then I get to be a grade A prick for a little while, in which case, again, everyone wins.

I like to think of myself as a public service, like PBS.  I mean, if PBS occasionally melted down and turned your radio into a pile of molten plastic, or just randomly insulted people on the donors' list.
Molon Lube

Cain

You'll notice I never actually posted ITT (or pretty much any other contentious n00b intro thread).  I don't generally shit on people unless they actively do something to deserve it, like most of the TCC posters.

But if someone hasn't taken the time to do any basic reading on a place, like even checking out today's threads in Apple Talk, which would give them an idea of how this place is, then I'm not going to intervene on their behalf when other people take them to task, either.

hooplala

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 23, 2010, 06:04:34 PM
Quote from: Cain on July 23, 2010, 05:59:38 PM
I really don't have the time or inclination to hold a noob's hand nowadays.  If they can't be bothered to lurk a little and get a basic feel for the forum, then I can't be bothered to have a charitable disposition to their literary turdlings.

Yeah, there's that, too.

Thing is, there are plenty of people here who never got shat on when they joined, because they didn't act retarded.  There are also people who DID get shat on who reacted with some humor, and stuck around.

Almost everyone here has been through the mill at one time or another, either as noobs, or later on.  If a noob comes into a Discordian board and doesn't even look around, then can't handle the fun when he sticks his crank in the meatgrinder, then screw 'em.

Quote from: Cain on July 23, 2010, 06:23:58 PM
You'll notice I never actually posted ITT (or pretty much any other contentious n00b intro thread).  I don't generally shit on people unless they actively do something to deserve it, like most of the TCC posters.

But if someone hasn't taken the time to do any basic reading on a place, like even checking out today's threads in Apple Talk, which would give them an idea of how this place is, then I'm not going to intervene on their behalf when other people take them to task, either.

Good points, I take back what I said.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

LMNO

Cram, I'd like to gently point out a few things.

- Two posts (two posts) into the thread, and we've jacked the topic into making Lovecraft jokes.  Instead of going with it and riffing off a few of his own, he gets all pissy.  Even if you don't lurk, and even (especially) if you're a pinealist Discordian noob into sillyness, how the hell is anyone worth their salt not going to join in the fun?  The fact that he decided to get all huffy isn't a very good sign.

- It wasn't all bashing.  The majority of people posting their first comments here made suggestions and helpful ProTips, as we always do.  It can't really be helped that alzhred's subsequent posts were both dismissive and aggressive.

- after a few pages, it reallys stopped being about alzhred.  It was more about the general pattern and acceptance or non-acceptance of the people here.  He even apologized around page 4, and we pretty much said, "ok", and moved on.  The ball's in his court, and his posts from here on out will be judged on their merits.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 23, 2010, 07:14:50 PM
He even apologized around page 4, and we pretty much said, "ok", and moved on.  The ball's in his court, and his posts from here on out will be judged on their merits.

His very next post, on page 5:

Quote from: alhazred on July 22, 2010, 12:31:06 PM
Seriously, didn't mean to fuck with your play house.
Molon Lube

Cramulus

I'd like to gently point out that I wasn't even talking about alzharararehed.

I wanted to point out that our culture around here has shifted, we have much less patience for n00bs now than we did 2 years ago. Which I think is weird, I always liked the 50-post rule. I'm good friends IRL with a few people who have gotten flamed off the board prior to 50 posts, and I feel like they might have stayed if they had a little more time to get adjusted before they were put into Fight Or Flight mode.

hooplala

I've had friends flamed off the board before too, some deserved it and some perhaps did not... this place is not for everyone.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on July 23, 2010, 07:22:13 PM
I'd like to gently point out that I wasn't even talking about alzharararehed.

I wanted to point out that our culture around here has shifted, we have much less patience for n00bs now than we did 2 years ago. Which I think is weird, I always liked the 50-post rule. I'm good friends IRL with a few people who have gotten flamed off the board prior to 50 posts, and I feel like they might have stayed if they had a little more time to get adjusted before they were put into Fight Or Flight mode.

Okay. 

I always suggest to my friends that they lurk a while, though, and that they be nice when they do post.  It's worked for just about all of them, though many only stop in very occasionally, and one or two eventually put their boot in it anyway.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hoopla on July 23, 2010, 07:25:23 PM
I've had friends flamed off the board before too, some deserved it and some perhaps did not... this place is not for everyone.

No board is.

Difference between this place and most others is, in almost every case, those that leave do so under their own power.
Molon Lube

LMNO

I blame Hoshiko.  She used to be able to keep our savagery in line, then she left.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on July 23, 2010, 07:32:43 PM
I blame Hoshiko.  She used to be able to keep our savagery in line, then she left.

Not sure I miss her.

She was the one person that could have prevented the big blow up 5 years or so ago, with one post.  She elected instead to pour gasoline on the flames, in a way that I've never really forgiven her for.  Not that she's been around to talk about it, of course.
Molon Lube