News:

It is our goal to harrass and harangue you ever further toward our own incoherent brand of horse-laugh radicalism.

Main Menu

So, here's what imma gonna do...

Started by Dimocritus, July 28, 2010, 04:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimocritus

This is the final list of actions. Hopefully, people play along and I can get someone to record it  :evil:

put your palms together over your head and jump up and down.

Give the person to your right a noogie

Give the person to your left a hug

put your arms straight out and spin in a circle

Read the following out loud, over and over again: THIS IS THE BEST FUCKING SHOW I'VE EVER BEEN TO.

Put your thumb up in the air. Somebody else has this same message. Find the other person with their thumb in the air. This is your partner for the night.

Put your thumb up in the air. Somebody else has this same message. Find the other person with their thumb in the air. This is your partner for the night.

Sing along with the music. I know you don't know the words, just make shit up.

Do the Paraplegic Dance. That is, dance like you are handicapped.

High five as many people as possible. Somebody else has this note too. Find that guy and see who high fived more people.

High five as many people as possible. Somebody else has this note too. Find that guy and see who high fived more people.

Remove your pants.

do the Electric Slide

Bellow out "LORD HAVE MERCY, I'VE SHAT MY PANTS!"

Do the Hokey Pokey

Run from room screaming at the top of your lungs.  Then come back in quietly, keeping your eyes locked on the floor.

Stand there looking like you've got a really embarrassing task and there is no way you are going to do it. Pointedly avoid eye contact with the others in the audience who will notice and be mad at you for not playing the game

Cross your arms, stand still, and act aloof and too cool for any of this bullshit

Act normally.  Make sure everyone notices how normal you're acting

SHOW ME YOUR TITS

crumple this note up, throw it at the stage, shake your head no, act afraid.  Tell no one what the note says

Punch the bass player in the balls

do 'The Time Warp.' Then, do it again.

do the 'Thriller' dance

Run in circles.

Jump on stage and shout: "Viva la revolution!"

Cannon ball off the stage.

Goose-step around the parameter of the pit.

Slap five random strangers in the ass.

Trade notes with the person next to you and do that action instead. Tell the person that you trade notes with that they just got served.

Curl up in the fetal position in the center of the floor.

Give five random people tittie-twisters.
HOUSE OF GABCab ~ "caecus plumbum caecus"

Jenne

Good luck, Cap'n.  Record and share results!

Dimocritus

Ok, so no video yet. I know someone filmed it, but she hasn't posted it yet.

According to various reports, and after handing out all 32 envelopes, I'd say that about 12-15 actions were performed. Maybe more, but a handful of actions would have been unnoticeable in the hectic conditions. One thing that I had not forseen was people trading and passing notes around. My bass player was upset that "I passed out 6 notes telling people to punch him in the balls." There was only one note with that instruction, so, people thinking it was a good one, must have shared the fun with one another, and so it made its way around the crowd.

Despite the fact that we were able to acheive a massive amount of audience participation with this game, there were a few issues.

One: Scepticism. It was tough, at first, to get people to just take the envelope and put it away without looking at it or questioning it (you would have been surprised how many people looked directly at it after being told to not look at it). Some people were very resistant. However, by the end of the night, I was able to perfect my shtick to make changing hands much simpler. Less talk (gives them less time to question  or react), a sense of privacy and earnest, and a few key power phrases ("this is a matter of national security / your country needs you") and people just automatically responded. Even the way I handed them the envelope changed the reactions. A clean unfolded envelope was twice as likely to be looked at and examined immediately, whereas if I had already folded it and stood really close to the recipient, they would just take it without question.

Two: Many instructions, while funny, were too subtle to be noticed in a mosh-pit enviroment. The fix for that is to really push the physicallity of the instructions. This limits what can be put in envelopes, but also forces a bit of creativity in coming up with future ideas.

With all that being said, and after a quick discussion with the band, we are going to do this again. We've never really had an issue with crowd participation (you're kinda forced into it at a Paraplegics show) but this certainly added a new dimension to the whole show. So, I'm still open for ideas, if any one has any. A couple new ones I thought of are "Lock arms with someone and don't let go" and "Put your thumb in the air, someone else has the same instruction. Find him and thumbwrestle him to the death"

Another thing. I passed out all the envelopes completey random, to be fair and sporting. HOWEVER, I feel that in the future, there's no problem with tailoring certain instructions for certain people. It only increases the chance of participation, and you can still do it with the sense of it being randomized.

Oh, and for the record, a list of actions that were definitely performed (ie, the ones that actually worked, to my knowledge):

Sing along with the music. I know you don't know the words, just make shit up.

Do the Paraplegic Dance. That is, dance like you are handicapped.

Remove your pants. (and this was performed by a chick)

Cross your arms, stand still, and act aloof and too cool for any of this bullshit

Act normally.  Make sure everyone notices how normal you're acting

SHOW ME YOUR TITS (this one got passed around, too. A fat guy got it first, and was a really good sport)

crumple this note up, throw it at the stage, shake your head no, act afraid.  Tell no one what the note says

Punch the bass player in the balls (x6  :lulz:)

Jump on stage and shout: "Viva la revolution!"

Dimocritus

Oh, also: if you happen to want to come up with ideas, don't be afraid of going to the "extremes." We're a very phyisical band and most people in the audience are already prepared for injuries. Even the women.

Cramulus

hide a small bottle of whiskey somewhere, two of the envelopes describe where it is. the instructions mention that you'll have to race the other guy to find it.

Swap ALL OF YOUR CLOTHES with somebody else. YES, EVERYTHING.

it might be a good idea to keep two sets of envelopes, one in each of your back pockets. One pocket has "mild" assignments, the other "extreme" assignments. Pick and choose - if somebody looks shy or uncomfortable, give 'em a mild one. If somebody looks ready to have a good time, throw 'em in the deep end.

Dimocritus

Quote from: Cramulus on August 04, 2010, 07:12:02 PM
hide a small bottle of whiskey somewhere, two of the envelopes describe where it is. the instructions mention that you'll have to race the other guy to find it.

Yes! Great for a punk show!

Haha! Seeing how well the other clothes-removing instructions went, this may work!

it might be a good idea to keep two sets of envelopes, one in each of your back pockets. One pocket has "mild" assignments, the other "extreme" assignments. Pick and choose - if somebody looks shy or uncomfortable, give 'em a mild one. If somebody looks ready to have a good time, throw 'em in the deep end.

Yeah, I've also been thinking about doing seperate stacks.

Also, small props that can be put in the envelopes. Or maybe props on stage with corresponding instructions? That way we can have props of varying dimensions...

Adios

Quote from: Cap'n dimo on August 04, 2010, 07:26:28 PM

Haha! Seeing how well the other clothes-removing instructions went, this may work!

Also, small props that can be put in the envelopes. Or maybe props on stage with corresponding instructions? That way we can have props of varying dimensions...

Make sure this doesn't violate state liquor laws, don't want to get the bar in trouble.

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 04, 2010, 07:27:44 PM
Quote from: Cap'n dimo on August 04, 2010, 07:26:28 PM

Make sure this doesn't violate state liquor laws, don't want to get the bar in trouble.

True dat. True dat.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Adios

I have owned two bars. If anyone brought their own alcohol in they and their alcohol were bounced.

Nephew Twiddleton

"Prevent the nearest envelope holder from performing their action AT ALL COSTS"
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on August 04, 2010, 07:50:56 PM

Daddy like!

Hey, Twid. (un?)related, looking at dates in sept. for putting a show together. PM me your availability.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cuddlefish on August 04, 2010, 07:52:05 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on August 04, 2010, 07:50:56 PM

Daddy like!

Hey, Twid. (un?)related, looking at dates in sept. for putting a show together. PM me your availability.

Will do-I'll be hanging out with most of the bandmates on Saturday, I can probably give you a pretty good idea by then. Pat is in Ireland at the moment, but I'll see if I can get him to respond to email.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

for a girl. Give the closest guy your bra and make him wear it.

stand in a chair and start preaching

Cuddlefish

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 04, 2010, 07:54:51 PM

It's good, but what I noticed was that many of the instructions that required speaking got totally drowned out, even if they stole a mic.

Adios

Quote from: Cuddlefish on August 04, 2010, 07:56:24 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 04, 2010, 07:54:51 PM

It's good, but what I noticed was that many of the instructions that required speaking got totally drowned out, even if they stole a mic.

Hmmm. You could have pre made posterboard signs and the letter could direct to go get one and hold it over your head with various messages.