News:

He was a pretty good teacher, but he's also batshit insane and smells like ferret pee.

Main Menu

Anne Rice quites Christianity lol

Started by Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ, July 30, 2010, 01:42:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

QuoteFor those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to 'belong' to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

As I said below, I quit being a Christian. I'm out. In the name of Christ, I refuse to be anti-gay. I refuse to be anti-feminist. I refuse to be anti-artificial birth control. I refuse to be anti-Democrat. I refuse to be anti-secular humanism. I refuse to be anti-science. I refuse to be anti-life. In the name of ...Christ, I quit Christianity and being Christian. Amen.

I bet she did this because vampires are so profitable right now  :lol:

Suu

This made my mom happy, because she quit Rice when she went uber Catholic.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Iason Ouabache

That's retarded. She's not leaving Christianity, she's just leaving Catholicism. She still believes in saying things "In the name of Christ", so still a Christian.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Shibboleet The Annihilator

Jasper

Suu

Maybe she'll go back to writing smut.  :lulz:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

LMNO

The Beauty books were some of her best work, IMO.

hooplala

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 30, 2010, 02:56:31 AM
That's retarded. She's not leaving Christianity, she's just leaving Catholicism. She still believes in saying things "In the name of Christ", so still a Christian.

I would argue that being a follower of the teachings of Christ and being a "christian" can be two different things.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Hoopla on July 30, 2010, 02:20:16 PM

I would argue that being a follower of the teachings of Christ and being a "christian" can be two different things.

Yes, its true... one is following a dude that was potentially fictional... the other is joining the tribe of people that follow said 'potentially fictional' dude.

So basically, she's on the Indie Jesus label now....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Zyzyx

This can mean only one thing - more Anne Rice novels. About whampires.

Iason Ouabache

Quote from: Ratatosk on July 30, 2010, 02:43:19 PM

Yes, its true... one is following a dude that was potentially fictional... the other is joining the tribe of people that follow said 'potentially fictional' dude.

She still believes in Super Magic Jesus, so she's still a Christian. She has abandoned organized Christianity but is keeping the beliefs that she wants to keep. She's keeping the map but has left the city to go explore the wilderness.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

maphdet

I must be living under a rock. I had no clue she was christian.
Wow.

Oh and I loved her as well under A. N. Roquelaure!

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

malvarma

Jesus would quit Christianity.

He'd also probably take a shit in the river because they didn't have advanced septic systems back then.
Follow me at http://twitter.com/normalioifyp and I'll follow you back. Let's totally be BFFs.

Cainad (dec.)

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on July 30, 2010, 10:17:04 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on July 30, 2010, 02:43:19 PM

She still believes in Super Magic Jesus, so she's still a Christian. She has abandoned organized Christianity but is keeping the beliefs that she wants to keep. She's keeping the map but has left the city to go explore the wilderness.

Unfortunately, I think it's one of those "Words mean what I want them to mean!!!11one!1!1!!!!" kind of fiascoes. To one person "Christianity" is merely the belief in Jesus as the Son of God blahblahblah, and to another person you're only a "real Christian" if you follow the High Holy Church of Jesus Christ Knitting Enthusiast.

Put ten people in a room and ask for a definition of Christianity, and you'll get eleven different answers. Kind of like Discordianism.

Aucoq

I wonder how this will affect that Life of Christ trilogy she was in the middle of writing.  I wait with bated breath to find out.  :lol:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.