News:

The End of the World is Coming, and YOU MAY DIE

Main Menu

how a statistical formula won WW2

Started by Triple Zero, August 06, 2010, 05:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Ok, well, not really, that's the sensational headline of the article, but the story is true and it did play a significant role.

Also, I'm pretty sure I heard this story somewhere before (either in one of the Feynmann books or in Cryptonomicon), so it may be old hat to some of you. Regardless, it's pretty cool so if you don't know it, read on :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/jul/20/secondworldwar.tvandradio
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Requia ☣

I don't really get how they came to that formula.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Reginald Ret

Mucking about untill the formula gave similar results to observed data.
When you have tons of data fitting a curve to that isn't that hard.
I'd be interested to see their raw data.
Lord Byron: "Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves."

Nigel saying the wisest words ever uttered: "It's just a suffix."

"The worst forum ever" "The most mediocre forum on the internet" "The dumbest forum on the internet" "The most retarded forum on the internet" "The lamest forum on the internet" "The coolest forum on the internet"

Triple Zero

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 07, 2010, 05:07:27 AM
I don't really get how they came to that formula.

It's based on the maximum likelihood estimator for n when sampling over a uniform distribution [1, n]. I learned it in statistics class, forgot how to prove it, but it wasn't that complicated.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.