News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

Japan is going Venus

Started by Triple Zero, August 18, 2010, 10:03:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Just heard on Twitter their space probe will be in Venus' atmosphere the 7th of December.

Which is awesome because we don't really really know all that much about Venus, except that it's hot and poisonous and hellishly stormy.

While on the one hand, we have been exploring Mars as a candidate for terraforming, having had water once, like Earth. But Venus should also be an interesting case study because it is the other attractor our global climate system could get drawn into if it gets roughed up too much.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=JAPAN+VENUS
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Elder Iptuous

sweet!
according to the wiki article on the satellite, it's got cameras of various wavelengths and is sent to determine whether there is, in fact, the supposed lightning and volcanism on the surface.
that would be awesome to get some actual pictures of that rather than just having the "artist renditions" to stick in our kids textbooks....

Kai

We've sent several probes to Venus, even have photos. Very inhospitable planet.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous

i've seen some surface photos, but they weren't terribly interesting if i recall...
and we don't have photos of the lightning and volcanism.
hopefully we'll get some nice shots out of this.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Kai on August 18, 2010, 01:56:30 PM
We've sent several probes to Venus, even have photos. Very inhospitable planet.

Joh.

They're bound to get higher res views and awesome findings and such though.

(unless you're taking my post to assuming they might find life there--of course not. Not that I'd rule anything out, but no.)
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.