News:

I just don't understand any kind of absolute egalitarianism philosophy. Whether it's branded as anarcho-capitalism or straight anarchism or sockfucking libertarianism, it always misses the same point.

Main Menu

Banks may not be able to foreclose

Started by BabylonHoruv, August 21, 2010, 07:33:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

http://www.alternet.org/economy/147901/could_a_legal_technicality_prevent_banks_from_having_the_right_to_foreclose_on_62_million_homes/

Personally I think this is really good news.  I'll be surprised if they don't end up changing this, but this squarely puts the losses for the housing bubble on the backs of the banks, who, through foreclosures, have been largely responsible for destroying multiple neighborhoods and nearly the whole city of Cleveland.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Not actually owning the rights to a mortgage is hardly a technicality.  This isn't new though, and while it's helped a few people, how many people who are at risk of foreclosure can afford a lawyer to take this to court?
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 21, 2010, 07:35:58 AM
Not actually owning the rights to a mortgage is hardly a technicality.  This isn't new though, and while it's helped a few people, how many people who are at risk of foreclosure can afford a lawyer to take this to court?

You don't need a lawyer to take it to court.  The more people that challenge foreclosures, with or without a lawyer, the more reluctant the banks are going to be to foreclose.  There are quite a few judges that are on the people's side, as opposed to the banks.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

East Coast Hustle

Not really topical, but regarding the OP: the city of Cleveland has been destroyed for as long as I can remember, and it has little to do with foreclosures and everything to do with being a post-industrial slagheap.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Disco Pickle

"produce the note"

I told my sister to use this a year ago when they became upside down on their property.  It's a perfectly valid defense to stave off the bank forclosure.  If they cant determine who owns it, they have no claim in court.

Ultimately they ended up short selling the house, but it gave them the time to find a new place. 

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

That means hordes of victims of predatory lending could end up owning their homes free and clear -- while the financial industry could end up skewered on its own sword.

Justice?

Requia ☣

They would change the law if it became widespread enough to threaten the banks.

tyrannosaurus vex

If the banks can't prove they own your house, all you have to do is file a Quiet Title Action, which basically is a way to claim you own your house outright unless somebody else can prove otherwise.

So, why don't people whose mortgages are held by MERS do this proactively, without waiting for a foreclosure?
Evil and Unfeeling Arse-Flenser From The City of the Damned.

Requia ☣

because regardless of what the law says, it's a judges opinion that matters, and a judge will have a better opinion if you can't pay then if it seems like you just don't want to.

Adios

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 21, 2010, 11:37:18 PM
because regardless of what the law says, it's a judges opinion that matters, and a judge will have a better opinion if you can't pay then if it seems like you just don't want to.

A judge would also look at point of law.