News:

Hand drawn by monkeys in sweat-shop conditions.

Main Menu

Eristocracy

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, August 24, 2010, 09:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rumckle

I also wouldn't mind seeing Randomocracy on a large scale, can't be any worse than how things work at the moment.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Rumckle on August 27, 2010, 06:57:39 AM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 25, 2010, 01:38:31 AM
Ban any benefits of seniority for elected officials.  (A first term senator should have just as much power as a guy whose been there for 50 years)

This seems impossible to me, I mean you could make sure they don't get any official power (which is how it is here, unless you count cabinet positions as special power, though technically a first term rep could get that), but in the end, the longer they've been there the more connections and unofficial power they will have.

That's a far cry from the power being based on seniority de jure.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Rumckle

Fair enough. What power do you get by seniority in the US?
I looked up the US federal government on Wikipedia, but I couldn't really see much. (though I do think your government system is kinda confusing, so I may have missed something)
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Requia ☣

Committee access, congresscritters with more seniority are more likely to get the committee their choice, and the most senior person of the majority party on a committee gets to chair.  Bills all go through a committee process, so seniority is very important if you want to introduce legislation and have it actually be what you intended.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 27, 2010, 04:28:50 PM
Committee access, congresscritters with more seniority are more likely to get the committee their choice, and the most senior person of the majority party on a committee gets to chair.  Bills all go through a committee process, so seniority is very important if you want to introduce legislation and have it actually be what you intended.

Or if you want to fuck with someone else's legislation, or if you want to be sure of getting favors for pushing someone else's legislation through etc.

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson