News:

PD's body has a way of shutting pro-lifer's down.

Main Menu

The Social Network Movie

Started by Jenne, August 26, 2010, 04:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Wow, isn't it too soon for a tell-all about Facebook?  Jesus.

Though I like the actor who plays Mark Zuckerberg.  I have a cougar crush on his nerdy ass.  Since Zombieland.  I think I'm old enough to be his mommy.  (not really. I'm only 10 years older than he is)

Anyway...!

I'm wondering what the dish is on this.  I'll do my own research, but anyone else have any un/official word on it?

Thurnez Isa

when is the PD.com movie going to be made?
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2010, 04:25:28 AM
Wow, isn't it too soon for a tell-all about Facebook?  Jesus.

Though I like the actor who plays Mark Zuckerberg.  I have a cougar crush on his nerdy ass.  Since Zombieland.  I think I'm old enough to be his mommy.  (not really. I'm only 10 years older than he is)

Anyway...!

I'm wondering what the dish is on this.  I'll do my own research, but anyone else have any un/official word on it?

I already love the parodies floating around more than I do the real movie.

and really..  I don't give a damn about a bunch of Harvard kids arguing over who came up with an idea first and who's going to sue who for making money on it.

sounds like a bunch of lawyers and trust fund babies trying to fuck another bunch of lawyers out of their own trust funds.

actually, after I typed that..   I think I might enjoy the concept, even if I would hate the movie as a film.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Lies

I dunno, it actually looks pretty interesting to me, good enough to torrent anyway.
- So the New World Order does not actually exist?
- Oh it exists, and how!
Ask the slaves whose labour built the White House;
Ask the slaves of today tied down to sweatshops and brothels to escape hunger;
Ask most women, second class citizens, in a pervasive rape culture;
Ask the non-human creatures who inhabit the planet:
whales, bears, frogs, tuna, bees, slaughtered farm animals;
Ask the natives of the Americas and Australia on whose land
you live today, on whose graves your factories, farms and neighbourhoods stand;
ask any of them this, ask them if the New World Order is true;
they'll tell you plainly: the New World Order... is you!

Sir Squid Diddimus

Cain

Depending what this movie actually tells (like, for instance, Facebook's relationship with In-Q-Tel, the venture capitalist arm of the CIA, and their equally bizarre relationship with the enterpreneur, inventor of Paypal and liberatarian nutbag Peter Thiel) it could actually be good.

However it will probably just focus on TEH DRAMA between the founders.

Triple Zero

I thought Facebook was in with the NSA, not CIA?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

Probably in with both.  But I know for sure In-Q-Tel were involved.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook

QuoteFacebook's most recent round of funding was led by a company called Greylock Venture Capital, who put in the sum of $27.5m. One of Greylock's senior partners is called Howard Cox, another former chairman of the NVCA, who is also on the board of In-Q-Tel. What's In-Q-Tel? Well, believe it or not (and check out their website), this is the venture-capital wing of the CIA. After 9/11, the US intelligence community became so excited by the possibilities of new technology and the innovations being made in the private sector, that in 1999 they set up their own venture capital fund, In-Q-Tel, which "identifies and partners with companies developing cutting-edge technologies to help deliver these solutions to the Central Intelligence Agency and the broader US Intelligence Community (IC) to further their missions".

The US defence department and the CIA love technology because it makes spying easier. "We need to find new ways to deter new adversaries," defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld said in 2003. "We need to make the leap into the information age, which is the critical foundation of our transformation efforts." In-Q-Tel's first chairman was Gilman Louie, who served on the board of the NVCA with Breyer. Another key figure in the In-Q-Tel team is Anita K Jones, former director of defence research and engineering for the US department of defence, and - with Breyer - board member of BBN Technologies. When she left the US department of defence, Senator Chuck Robb paid her the following tribute: "She brought the technology and operational military communities together to design detailed plans to sustain US dominance on the battlefield into the next century."

He acknowledges at the top he somehow screwed the 9/11 and 1999 date thing, but otherwise this seems fairly sound.

Triple Zero

thx for the link, will read that and bug my friends about it.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

DeusExMachina

It clearly won't cover the intelligence gathering, it will be a Facebook fanboyjism there is probably more info in this four minute video than will appear in this bile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdyyAtsK6I skip to 1:47 to skip all the scariness and jump into the funding and backers of facebook
'Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.'
-George Carlin

'Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.'

- Albert Einstein

bds

This is your daily reminder that Wichita from Zombieland is hawwwwwwwwwwwt. Also, the movie actually looked pretty good.

AFK

I read somewhere that the producers all loved the first cut of the movie, thought it had a real good flow and was viewer-friendly, but the Director felt it needed to have more pizzazz and suggested a bunch of shit be changed to make it more streamlined.  The producers objected but he went ahead and changed it anyway. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

DeusExMachina

David Fincher did Se7en, Zodiac and Fightclub which were all entertaining films.  I think he probably just wanted to not get too deep into the actual real story and cater for the attention span and audience who want to see drink,sex and suits and lots of money worship.
'Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.'
-George Carlin

'Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.'

- Albert Einstein