News:

No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience.

Main Menu

List of pseudoscience topics from Wikipedia

Started by Apikoros II, August 26, 2010, 05:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apikoros II

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_topics_characterized_as_pseudoscience

Anyone find these things intriguing? I am a big fan of the Ancient Astronaut theory personally. Psychology is still considered pseudoscience in some sectors
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

AFK

You should talk to P3nt about the "Lunar Effect" one.

*ducks* 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Apikoros II on August 26, 2010, 05:53:49 PM
I am a big fan of the Ancient Astronaut theory personally.

That is not a "theory".  FFS.
Molon Lube

Cuddlefish

My fave pseudo science topic is Christian Science and Inteligent Design.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Thurnez Isa

Psychology is still considered pseudoscience in some sectors

certain forms.
For example in the 70's it was thought if you let out your anger by hitting a pillow it was beneficial because it made you feel good and released your aggression. Now it's known that hitting a pillow just creates the habit of punching things when you get angry. The therapy though didn't go away and was taken up by hucksters, and since it offers temporary release people get suckered into it.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Thurnez Isa

am a big fan of the Ancient Astronaut theory personally.

I was thought Van Danikens was  :| but I just read a review of his new book (http://archyfantasies.blogspot.com/2010/08/aliens-in-closet.html) and it seems pretty  :lulz: I think im going to read it when I get back to university
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

Apikoros II

It is a pretty all encompassing big list, I think... For me, this guy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcello_Truzzi and his reasons for leaving SCICOP are interesting. Though I know this will might get another "FFS" or at least an "SMH" from Dok Howl, I'll put it out there:

I believe in Ghosts, ESP, and lots of other "Sciences" on that list. What I relate it in my head is often to the Geiger Counter. Before that, there was no accurate way of measuring radioactivity though we sort of knew something was up. The Geiger Counter gave us a way to quantify that energy. Ghosts, dreams that predict the future etc etc, are all parts of the natural world that have yet to be explained. I believe that matter cannot be created or destroyed. From that, I postulate that there are types of energy, methods of releasing that energy, and eventually, ways of measuring and explaining that energy.

On the other hand, things like Phrenology and the Hongcheng Magic Liquid are rather funny
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

Doktor Howl

1.  There were plenty of ways to measure radioactivity before the geiger counter.  Film, for example.

2.  Whatever.  Live in a fantasy world if you can't deal with the actual weirdness that surrounds you every day.
Molon Lube

Thurnez Isa

I ONCE SAW A GHOST!!!  :eek:

it turned out to be my fucking imagination
:sad:

Dante

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 26, 2010, 06:21:50 PM

it turned out to be my fucking imagination ASSTRAL PLANEZ!

Fixed for the retard set.

This just kills me.  The world is full of weird shit that actually exists/happens but people ignore it completely, and then make shit up to compensate for there being no weird shit.
Molon Lube

AFK

I dunno, I think ghosts and ESP are Law of Five type things.  I think people who want to see or experience ghosts see or experience ghosts. Same with ESP.  When I was a kid I convinced myself I had ESP because I managed to guess a number my friend was thinking of like 3 or 4 times in a row.  But when I thought about it some more, and proceeded to get the next 5 wrong, I realized it was just lucky coincidence.  
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

People remember the hits and forget the misses.  That's why cold reading works.
Molon Lube

Thurnez Isa

Dante

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 26, 2010, 06:23:56 PM
Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 26, 2010, 06:21:50 PM

it turned out to be my fucking imagination ASSTRAL PLANEZ!

Fixed for the retard set.

This just kills me.  The world is full of weird shit that actually exists/happens but people ignore it completely, and then make shit up to compensate for there being no weird shit.

What is weird shit that actually happens but people ignore?

Salty

As for Urine Therpary, you've gotta admire a person who can literally sell piss to their customers uh, patients. That's a tough sell. Plus, low overhead.
The world is a car and you're the crash test dummy.