Main Menu

Facebook can cost you your job

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 08:29:50 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 27, 2010, 08:22:17 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:14:59 PM
I guess I am on the other side of this. I like to post political issues on facebook. If an employer has a differing viewpoint them I am either disqualified or fired.

Freedom of speech squished.

Firing someone for a difference in political views is illegal in the US, no matter how you found that information.  (falls under the creed part of non-discrimination)

I was recently fired for not being a Christian. Can I prove it? No.

You also can't prove they found it on facebook (or however the found it) so making it illegal for them to look at it would be irrelevant.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

LMNO

Not to mention, they don't even need to say the word Facebook when they fire you.

It's pretty easy to mock up some crap about "productivity" or "performance" issues.  They may have fired you because they saw your tits on the internet, but the official documents will cite "a lack of productivity."

Disco Pickle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 27, 2010, 08:22:17 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:14:59 PM
I guess I am on the other side of this. I like to post political issues on facebook. If an employer has a differing viewpoint them I am either disqualified or fired.

Freedom of speech squished.

Firing someone for a difference in political views is illegal in the US, no matter how you found that information.  (falls under the creed part of nondiscrimination)

what about not hiring them in the first place?  I admit I don't know all of the law. Though I'm quite familiar with nondiscriminatory practices, they could just as easily find any other reason i.e. found a better candidate.

Florida is a right to work state, so employers can basically lay you off at will and that's usually stated in the offer of employment.  I suppose the burden of proof of discrimination would be like anywhere else, on the employee, but it's easier here to cut payroll.

And I was never for employers firing someone for something they found on facebook that wasn't illegal or against the company.  I think there should be a slide rule, HR could speak to the employee and explain how this would look to a client or reflects on the company and teach them about personal privacy in the internet age.  If other than the stupidity they posted, they perform their job in an exemplary manner, they shouldn't be let go.

They should be able to evaluate a person BEFORE they're hired using available means.  I mentioned credit checks being used, and they are.  How is facebook any different other than they aren't yet notifying a potential employee that they will use this method, like they do with a credit check?
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Requia ☣

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 05:59:52 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 05:58:05 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/08/26/prism.social.media.work.cnn?hpt=C2

Germany so far is the only country taking steps to preventing potential employers from using social media to determine hiring practices.

I disagree with Germany.  If you're dumb enough to smear yourself IN PUBLIC, then an employer has the right to react to that.

And if somebody else with the same first and last name is dumb enough to do it, you should also suffer!
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 27, 2010, 08:38:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/08/26/prism.social.media.work.cnn?hpt=C2

Germany so far is the only country taking steps to preventing potential employers from using social media to determine hiring practices.

I disagree with Germany.  If you're dumb enough to smear yourself IN PUBLIC, then an employer has the right to react to that.

And if somebody else with the same first and last name is dumb enough to do it, you should also suffer!

There's another Roger Penrose out there.  He's an old geezer in England who's about the best living mathematician in the world.  Some 17th cousin or some shit.  I don't think an interviewer is going to mistake my hotness for his old-and-bustedness.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 08:40:40 PM

There's another Roger Penrose out there.  He's an old geezer in England who's about the best living mathematician in the world.  Some 17th cousin or some shit.  I don't think an interviewer is going to mistake my hotness for his old-and-bustedness.

I think something like 90% of the other guys on FB with my first and last name are all Welsh...so I am boned...fucking Welsh.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Secret Level on August 27, 2010, 08:42:19 PM

I think something like 90% of the other guys on FB with my first and last name are all Welsh...so I am boned...fucking Welsh.

Your real name has no vowels?   :?
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 08:43:21 PM
Quote from: Secret Level on August 27, 2010, 08:42:19 PM

Your real name has no vowels?   :?

Yes, my real name has no vowels. My parent's hated me. That is why I lash at authority figures. Because my name has no vowels. No vowels at all.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I dunno. I agree with Doktor Howl. If you're going to display your retardation for all to see, employers should be allowed to factor that in. Other people are going to do the same. Part of getting a job is selling yourself as a valuable commodity that the employer should be all over like mice on peanut butter. Vomit-covered drunks aren't that valuable.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Secret Level on August 27, 2010, 08:44:49 PM

Yes, my real name has no vowels. My parent's hated me. That is why I lash at authority figures. Because my name has no vowels. No vowels at all.

So, it's like Gthffssffl or some shit?
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 08:46:10 PM

:eek:

Shit...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 08:46:10 PM

Gddffssffl... with the 'dd' making a 'th' sound.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: curiosity on August 27, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
I dunno. I agree with Doktor Howl. If you're going to display your retardation for all to see, employers should be allowed to factor that in. Other people are going to do the same. Part of getting a job is selling yourself as a valuable commodity that the employer should be all over like mice on peanut butter. Vomit-covered drunks aren't that valuable.

That was depressing.  I got my job by lying my ass off.
Molon Lube

Adios

Someone has a bad night, someone else snaps a pic.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 08:47:25 PM

That was depressing.  I got my job by lying my ass off.

I got mine by pretending to be enthusiastic and cheerful. So basically the same.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.