News:

PD.com: Living proof that just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

emerod

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 05:54:35 PM

Incidentally, I have stated this above, but I feel I should reitterate it:  Please, PLEASE do NOT start any threads about anarchism.  No shit, we've had the argument about 20 times, each one being a verbatim replay of the one before it, and each one leading to no end of blood on the walls.  I'm not telling you not to express your opinions, of course, I'm just warning you that the subject is as explosive here as abortion and vaccination debates are elsewhere.

OK, so without actually reigniting the Great War, encapsulate the debate in objective terms, so I'll know the boundaries.
Smiting the philistines since 1996.

Cramulus

Quote from: emerod on November 10, 2010, 06:09:53 PM

Incidentally, I have stated this above, but I feel I should reitterate it:  Please, PLEASE do NOT start any threads about anarchism.  No shit, we've had the argument about 20 times, each one being a verbatim replay of the one before it, and each one leading to no end of blood on the walls.  I'm not telling you not to express your opinions, of course, I'm just warning you that the subject is as explosive here as abortion and vaccination debates are elsewhere.

OK, so without actually reigniting the Great War, encapsulate the debate in objective terms, so I'll know the boundaries.

I think it's just something to be aware of: some people here have very strong opinions on anarchy (generally anti-anarchy) and are totally willing to take you to the mat about it.

I've just coined the label "ananarchists". Which may also be written as "bananarchists" if you prefer.

:bsex:

The Good Reverend Roger

Jebus, where to start?

1.  Nobody can agree on what Anarchy IS.  Ask 5 of the board's anarchists, and you'll get 7 answers initially.

2.  The words "rational" and "anarchy" cause both sides of the debate to explode when placed directly next to each other without quote marks.

3.  Everything turns into strawman fallacies and false dilemmas.

4.  The delivery dude shows up with a semi full of butthurt, and everyone gets a share.

5.  Kai gets pissed, and Theodore Kaczinski's our arses, because the debate stays "objective" for about half of the OP, no matter which side starts it.

6.  *UNBREAKABLE RULE*  Every debate on anarchy turns into a horrible screaming match about intellectual property laws by page 3.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

7.  There are no objective terms.  Sorry, it's how we roll on this.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

I'm sort of sitting here admiring my restraint.

emerod

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 06:22:00 PM

Me too. I guess I had no idea anarchy was so disruptive. I'll hold on to my golden apple, then.
Smiting the philistines since 1996.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 06:20:35 PM

Jebus, where to start?

1.  Nobody can agree on what Anarchy IS.  Ask 5 of the board's anarchists, and you'll get 7 answers initially.

2.  The words "rational" and "anarchy" cause both sides of the debate to explode when placed directly next to each other without quote marks.

3.  Everything turns into strawman fallacies and false dilemmas.

4.  The delivery dude shows up with a semi full of butthurt, and everyone gets a share.

5.  Kai gets pissed, and Theodore Kaczinski's our arses, because the debate stays "objective" for about half of the OP, no matter which side starts it.

6.  *UNBREAKABLE RULE*  Every debate on anarchy turns into a horrible screaming match about intellectual property laws by page 3.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

7.  There are no objective terms.  Sorry, it's how we roll on this.

:lulz: that's pretty good, man

I think the corollary to #6 is that every discussion about IP will turn into a horrible screaming match about fixing the music industry.  :p

BadBeast

As one of PD's resident Anarchists, I am quite happy not to debate Anarchy in this forum ever again. I did a couple of times, and although it didn't get as messy as it could have done, I wasn't changing anyones mind about the subject, (which wasn'treally what I wanted to do anyway) and nobody managed to move me to take a less extreme attitude towards my utter contempt for (UK)
Politics.
I started a thread on the subject that went on far too long, but ECH answered first, and summed it up perfectly. I think he said something like "Great. Go and tell the Anarchists" But it was too late by then. Thread was posted. In retrospect, I should have gone and told the Anarchists. But they're all such a shiftless bunch of Crustys in the UK, I know the discourse wouldn't have gone any better. So now I try not to mention the "A" word, unless I want to be contentious. Which isn't what I'm here for.

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on November 10, 2010, 06:31:46 PM
As one of PD's resident Anarchists, I am quite happy not to debate Anarchy in this forum ever again. I did a couple of times, and although it didn't get as messy as it could have done, I wasn't changing anyones mind about the subject, (which wasn'treally what I wanted to do anyway) and nobody managed to move me to take a less extreme attitude towards my utter contempt for (UK)
Politics.
I started a thread on the subject that went on far too long, but ECH answered first, and summed it up perfectly. I think he said something like "Great. Go and tell the Anarchists" But it was too late by then. Thread was posted. In retrospect, I should have gone and told the Anarchists. But they're all such a shiftless bunch of Crustys in the UK, I know the discourse wouldn't have gone any better. So now I try not to mention the "A" word, unless I want to be contentious. Which isn't what I'm here for.

You guys would have better luck if you'd organize.

LMNO

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 10, 2010, 06:40:30 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 06:22:00 PM

Frankly, I'm amazed.

I'm bottling my rage for later.

The new safety manager is easily rattled, and I want to do it right.

Cain

Its also got a lot to do with Anarchists being fond of dogs and small children.  You know who else was fond of dogs and small children?  Yeah, that's right, Hitler.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Subetai on November 10, 2010, 06:49:52 PM
Its also got a lot to do with Anarchists being fond of dogs and small children.  You know who else was fond of dogs and small children?  Yeah, that's right, Hitler.

Hitler also couldn't tolerate smoking. Therefore, if you don't smoke, you're a Nazi. Smoking is patriotic anyway and helps support the economy. It's every freedom loving American's duty to get lung cancer.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 06:34:02 PM

. You guys would have better luck if you'd organize.

We spent the 1980's getting organised, and militant, marching, rioting, and getting our fucking heads cracked, getting jailed, and generally fucked over. What makes me sad is that none of the young 'uns today have got that fire in their bellies, and the only fight they've got in them, is on the way home from the Pub on a Saturday night. (And they can't even make a good job of that!) So fuck 'em. I'm not sticking my neck out too far these days. I'm done with that.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger