News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Semper Fi

Happy 235th birthday to the USMC and 30th birthday to ME.  :)

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Semper Fi on November 10, 2010, 10:22:58 PM

Happy birthday!

Who are you?

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Phox

Frosty the Snowman? The Marine Corps version?

BadBeast

Name rings a bell. Do you post on Yahoo Answers, with the same name?
(Happy Birthday, Frosty)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on November 10, 2010, 10:59:13 PM
(Happy Birthday, Frosty)

Not necessarily. Anyone who is a Marine or wants to be a Marine will invariably include Semper Fi somewhere in their online names. It's kinda their thing.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 10, 2010, 11:24:58 PM
(Happy Birthday, Frosty)

Not necessarily. Anyone who is a Marine or wants to be a Marine will invariably include Semper Fi somewhere in their online names. It's kinda their thing.

Not true.  I know at least 2 former marines that don't mention it.

My son just enlisted in the Marines, and I think he'll be the same.  He's too cynical to buy into anything...He'll do the job, I'm sure, but he won't make a religion out of it.

On the other hand, I know Air Force guys that still identify with the Air Force 10 years after their 3 year hitch.  I also know that I used to talk about the army too much.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 11:42:02 PM
(Happy Birthday, Frosty)

My son just enlisted in the Marines, and I think he'll be the same.  He's too cynical to buy into anything...He'll do the job, I'm sure, but he won't make a religion out of it.

On the other hand, I know Air Force guys that still identify with the Air Force 10 years after their 3 year hitch.  I also know that I used to talk about the army too much.

Kinda depends on the person. I think that it's just likely I've run into a lot of Marine pride.

BadBeast

So what's the literal translation? I know "Semper" is "safeguard" because it's written on the edge of Pound coins, but fi?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Doktor Blight on November 10, 2010, 11:44:16 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 11:42:02 PM
(Happy Birthday, Frosty)

Kinda depends on the person. I think that it's just likely I've run into a lot of Marine pride.

Naw, lots of Marines are like that.  It's not a bad thing, but definitely an identifying trait.  The Marines have a lot more esprit de corps than the other branches, probably because the corps is so small, and also because their training is a HELL of a lot more intense and in depth than the other branches.  From what I've seen, their WORST state of discipline is on par with the army's BEST.

As an army vet, it pains me to no end to admit that, but the Truth is the Truth.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on November 10, 2010, 11:46:50 PM
So what's the literal translation? I know "Semper" is "safeguard" because it's written on the edge of Pound coins, but fi?

Short for fidelis.

"Always Loyal" or "Always True (to a belief)".

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: BadBeast on November 10, 2010, 11:46:50 PM

What Roger said.

The Good Reverend Roger

Fidelis has one too many syllables.   :mrgreen:

Yorkvillain

Quote from: Jimmy Chitwood on November 09, 2010, 07:32:30 PM
Quote from: Choptop on November 09, 2010, 07:24:24 PM
:fap:

that fap!!!! we were sure it was poptart at first!!!! but now we know its ruby!!!!! ban it quick before it posts!!!!!!

Dirty modding at its finest people! Pop-Tart was here! And he's not Ruby! The IP resolves to wherever Roger wants it to!