News:

We've got artists, scientists, scholars, pranksters, publishers, songwriters, and political activists.  We've subjected Discordia to scrutiny, torn it apart, and put it back together. We've written songs about it, we've got a stack of essays, and, to refer back to your quote above, we criticize the hell out of each other.

Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Christ. Tuition ALONE is almost $37,000. Cost of attendance if you live on campus is $55,454.  :x

Brown University isn't even that much.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Whatever

Quote from: Suu on November 29, 2010, 04:56:45 PM
Okay, as long as you went on scholarship. That school is NOT cheap. Well, it wasn't cheap 10 years ago, so I can't imagine what it is now. I just remember soooo many kids applying to go there, and the counselors at our school going, "Are you SURE?"

:lulz:  That's what I asked the corporate recruiter when they told me that was the college they scholarship was for.  I was amazed at the tuition alone, not even getting into labs and books and OMG just in case I might need to actually eat or anything, possibly sleep somewhere besides a park bench.  And this is going back 20 years.  I graduated in '92.

Xieante Antitheus

So that map was based on AP testing..

We had to pay money just to take the tests out here. Do other states charge for these tests?
$50.00 a pop in '03-'04

Not only that but you have to qualify to take them as well.

Some confusion here then as to how this demographic is even useful (given the above)...

How many parents spent money to prove their kids are smarter then yours, and ended up having it turn out to be a good investment???

Maybe this is why WI scored well...  :?
I am not who you think I am
I am not who I think I am
I am who you think I think I am

Perception & Intent

SOLVE ET COAGULA

Suu

I go to the University of Rhode Island now. Public school...whatever, but still a notable doctorate-granting research university none-the-less.

If I was a traditional freshman living on-campus right now as a Rhode Island resident, it would cost me just about $25,000, which includes housing, meal plan, books, health services, and all the other fees they charge. Out of state and it triples.

As a non-traditional student, my tuition and fees this year is $9474 (just looked up my bill), but I have a pretty generous financial aid package which would allow me to quit my job and move on campus if I wanted to and still have pizza money.

Florida State is currently at $4564 a YEAR for Florida residents ($18,082 for full-package on-campus housing.)...But for out of state residents, it more than quadruples. Probably because it draws so many athletes. Yikes.  :eek:

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Quote from: Xieante Antitheus on November 29, 2010, 05:07:29 PM
So that map was based on AP testing..

We had to pay money just to take the tests out here. Do other states charge for these tests?
$50.00 a pop in '03-'04

Not only that but you have to qualify to take them as well.

Some confusion here then as to how this demographic is even useful (given the above)...

How many parents spent money to prove their kids are smarter then yours, and ended up having it turn out to be a good investment???

Maybe this is why WI scored well...  :?

10 years ago it was $75 a pop in Florida, but the school board paid for them. Anyone who took the course was required to take the exam or you had to reimburse the school for the fees, which is probably why the failure rate is kinda high. Not everyone is a good test taker, or could be taking the class and not doing well, but they still have to take the exam.

Otherwise, AP courses are still VOLUNTARY, and you can still drop them between semesters, so that's probably not the best chart to go by.

The Dark Monk

Quote from: Triple Zero on November 25, 2010, 09:00:21 PM
Unfortunately not, I had to reinstall my netbook because of a virus a little while ago (nothing was lost btw) and am running Ubuntu now. Ableton Live, the software I use to create those mixes doesn't run on Linux, sadly.

I should buy myself a proper desktop PC as well, some day, and it'll have dual boot. But so far, eh, a netbook is fine, I can take it outside for a smoke on the balcony :D

Ah yes, I know the feeling, it's frustrating now because here it's getting to be 20 degrees, wet and windy! I want to be able to sit inside or go slightly outside the door, hiding from the elements and keep this lump of circuitry with me
I thought this is all there is,
but now I know you are so much more.
I want to upgrade from my simple eight bits,
but will you still love me when I'm sixty-four?
~MIAB~

Rizzo

OK I can't handle this anymore the internet connection here is fucking horseshit. I'm moving from Dallas, Texas to Fountain Valley, California in the next couple days. Headed out the Californee way looking for some internets. Just a heads up for all you cyberstalkers out there.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rizzo on December 07, 2010, 11:01:39 PM
OK I can't handle this anymore the internet connection here is fucking horseshit. I'm moving from Dallas, Texas to Fountain Valley, California in the next couple days. Headed out the Californee way looking for some internets. Just a heads up for all you cyberstalkers out there.

Rizzo-

It might be in your best interest and our continuing entertainment if you vary you shtick up a bit. You're wearing the South Park bit a wee mite thin. This will benefit you, and in turn benefit us (obscure metal reference, points to the first right guesser)
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Rizzo

Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 08, 2010, 05:19:55 AM
Rizzo-

It might be in your best interest and our continuing entertainment if you vary you shtick up a bit. You're wearing the South Park bit a wee mite thin. This will benefit you, and in turn benefit us (obscure metal reference, points to the first right guesser)

O RLY?

:mushroomstamp:

Now gimme them duckets boy

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rizzo on December 08, 2010, 05:28:40 AM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on December 08, 2010, 05:19:55 AM
Rizzo-

O RLY?

:mushroomstamp:

Now gimme them duckets boy

Incorrect metal reference.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Persona Facade

Name: The Benjamin
Alias: Persona Facade, Kansai(on this site it has been donned onto someone else), Sasori, Aben

School: Sophomore of Chemical Engineering--transferring to Electrical Engineering
Current employment: Student, Baby sitter (as scary as that may seem), hoping to find lab assistant or actuarial work in Summer 2011

Leisure: Obvious trolling, causing rage on LoL forums, mind fucking, messing with relationships, owning noobs on league of legends, scaring people in narrow alleyways
Current projects: reading Sherlock Holmes series, creating a book club, accumulating philosophically based books(my humanities basis is horrid atm), making a new desktop(I've not had one for 6 years. IS HORRIBLE!), muscling up (I can barely move 2x my body weight anymore, always surprised wrestlers at my high school by lifting 290 pounds)

Eris Relationship: Learning, was bored and decided it was interesting. Feel free to inform me when possible, unless you're an asshole.

Did I mention I am horrible at introducing myself? Bad habit I have learned from my father, always start conversations with people and never introduce myself.
"You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on."
-George Bush

East Coast Hustle

Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Phox

BadBeast

"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4