News:

I live in the Promised Land, except the Chosen People are all trying to get out. 

Main Menu

Liberaltarianism

Started by Cain, August 31, 2010, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 05:41:11 PM
I'm on the fence on hate crimes legislation.

I am utterly opposed to laws concerning hate speech, though.

they don't exist. 

:damnright:

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Remington

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 07, 2010, 05:53:31 PM

they don't exist. 

In the States.
Is it plugged in?

Doktor Howl

they don't exist. 

Well, then, we never have to worry, right?
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Remington on October 07, 2010, 05:56:53 PM

they don't exist. 

In the States.

yeah, I know.  I read something recently about ol geert wilders being in trouble in the Netherlands for his public pronouncements.

hard to reconcile being on the side of that fuck, but I am completely against legislating this sort of thing.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 05:59:02 PM

they don't exist. 

Well, then, we never have to worry, right?

I have to say, we've been pretty good at shooting down anything that fucks with the 1st.

this thing with the Westboro Baptist Church could conceivably set a dangerous precedent.  I'm eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on that bunch.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 07, 2010, 06:04:20 PM
I have to say, we've been pretty good at shooting down anything that fucks with the 1st.

this thing with the Westboro Baptist Church could conceivably set a dangerous precedent.  I'm eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on that bunch.

We have?

Faith based funding
The Media Shield Act (thanks, Obama!)
Free speech zones

Dok,
Knows that the first amendment deals with more than speech.
Molon Lube

Freeky

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:06:47 PM

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

Free speech zone?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 07, 2010, 06:12:56 PM

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

Free speech zone?

Also known as "First Amendment Zones".  The areas in which protestors are allowed to gather at political conventions, WTO meetings, etc.  Usually a fenced-in area at least a half mile from the event they're there to protest.  Previously, the whole country was a first amendment zone.

Bush invented the concept, but in the last two democratic conventions, they installed large CAGES for non-delegates to stand in while observing the convention, so it isn't a one-party thing.

And, being who they are, Americans just got used to it and moved on down the road toward the sheep pen.
Molon Lube

Freeky

:( I don't even know why I asked. I knew I wouldn't like the answer.

Disco Pickle

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

what sort of faith based funding?

ALL?  I can't see all being bad except that we aren't in the habit of extending the subsidies to all religions, so it's discriminatory based on religion.  As long as they're providing *insert service with which they are tasked* and not proselytizing that is.

and yeah, I knew about free speech zones.  It stinks of privileged law, keeping the filthy, unwashed and usually LOUD masses away from the rich important people just trying to get on with the business of making the decisions that effect the rest of us.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Motorcycle
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 07, 2010, 06:21:19 PM

ALL?  I can't see all being bad except that we aren't in the habit of extending the subsidies to all religions, so it's discriminatory based on religion.  As long as they're providing *insert service with which they are tasked* and not proselytizing that is.

If you don't include ALL religions, no matter how weird and/or horrible, then you're legislating with respect to an institution of religion, which violates the first amendment.  If you're willing to allow any religion, then please fund The First Chuch of the Wrath of Baby Jesus™ (Doktor Howl, pastor) and our outreach program for troubled Tucson Discordians.  Send the cheque to the First Bank of the Terrible Marching Powder in Medellin, Columbia.  Thanks.

and yeah, I knew about free speech zones.  It stinks of privileged law, keeping the filthy, unwashed and usually LOUD masses away from the rich important people just trying to get on with the business of making the decisions that effect the rest of us.

The 1968 Democratic Convention is all the education you'll ever need in what the consequences are for having the gall to want to have a say in your government.  They don't have to beat the shit out of hippies and journalists, anymore, though...They just put up a cage across the 4 acre parking lot of the convention center, and let the activists file on in.

We're finally getting the government we deserve, DP. :)
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:27:07 PM

ALL?  I can't see all being bad except that we aren't in the habit of extending the subsidies to all religions, so it's discriminatory based on religion.  As long as they're providing *insert service with which they are tasked* and not proselytizing that is.

If you don't include ALL religions, no matter how weird and/or horrible, then you're legislating with respect to an institution of religion, which violates the first amendment.  If you're willing to allow any religion, then please fund The First Chuch of the Wrath of Baby Jesus™ (Doktor Howl, pastor) and our outreach program for troubled Tucson Discordians.  Send the cheque to the First Bank of the Terrible Marching Powder in Medellin, Columbia.  Thanks.

That motorcycle is a solid ride, but it's kinda hard to find fault with public funding of something like The Salvation Army, which clearly identifies as a Christian Organization.  I've had some experience with local Salvation Army people in my city (a city that hosts one of the largest churches in the nation) and not a one has ever said a damn thing about their god to me or anyone I know.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and employees like to put up bible stuff on their desks, but the organization itself does a lot of good for a lot of people who would otherwise go without, and they do it through around 50% government subsidies.  Even a heartless libertarian who is ok with letting people starve, much like myself, can find little fault with this other than what you mentioned about not funding all faith based help.  They do not, however, turn people away because they're of a different religion.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:27:07 PM
and yeah, I knew about free speech zones.  It stinks of privileged law, keeping the filthy, unwashed and usually LOUD masses away from the rich important people just trying to get on with the business of making the decisions that effect the rest of us.

The 1968 Democratic Convention is all the education you'll ever need in what the consequences are for having the gall to want to have a say in your government.  They don't have to beat the shit out of hippies and journalists, anymore, though...They just put up a cage across the 4 acre parking lot of the convention center, and let the activists file on in.

We're finally getting the government we deserve, DP. :)

The Government we deserve: DP!   :lulz:

(that's double penetration for anyone who didn't know that already)

Kai

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

Incidentally, there's a Free Speech Zone sign at a lookout point in Smokey Mountains National Park. Two colleagues of mine had a picture of them taken, screaming obscenities at each other in front of this sign.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish