News:

You have [3] new messages in your inbox

Main Menu

an argument for a deflationary policy in the You Ess of Heeeeey

Started by Disco Pickle, September 06, 2010, 07:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

coming back into this thread after page 2, I gotta say I think several of you are being quite unreasonable, and/or looking for offense or reading things into Pickles' replies that simply aren't there.

I'm not going to defend his economic theories since I have no working grasp of what's being discussed, but I utterly fail to see where he said anything that deserved some of the vitriolic responses he's gotten.

For the record, I am in complete support of mandatory drug-testing for anyone receiving state or federal aid of any sort. I am also in favor of social safety nets and increasing services to people who want to elevate their own socioeconomic status. I am also going out to the bar, so I won't be here for anyone to shit on, though I imagine that somehow my tenure here would render me immune from that even though I don't think I've said anything essentially different on the subject than the new guy did.

We'll see, I guess.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Phox

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 07, 2010, 12:10:05 AM
Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 07, 2010, 12:00:03 AM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 06, 2010, 11:51:32 PM
wait..

what?

So you admit you were just trying to divert attention away from the argument, then? Because either you were saying your views are justified BECAUSE, or you are trying to deflect us from the fact that you can't justify your views. Which is it Pickles?

No, dick.

If you reread what was read, you should clearly take from the post that I support a system that takes care of the least of us, while encouraging education about issues regarding finances and drug use in lower income and disadvantaged families.  

WTF is it with you guys jumping from one idea to a conclusion that does not resemble the idea in the least?

That's not at all the way the exchange I quoted read, no matter which way you read it.

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 07, 2010, 12:12:28 AM

So you have intimate knowledge of the system:

please, I would love to know your indepth, personal knowledge of the system.  

I know, state by state the law is different, but please..  tell me all about your personal experience with child support law in your state.

Why should I? You will just say that I made a bad judgement, and that it's my fault.

Phox

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 07, 2010, 12:17:25 AM
For the record, I am in complete support of mandatory drug-testing for anyone receiving state or federal aid of any sort. I am also in favor of social safety nets and increasing services to people who want to elevate their own socioeconomic status. I am also going out to the bar, so I won't be here for anyone to shit on, though I imagine that somehow my tenure here would render me immune from that even though I don't think I've said anything essentially different on the subject than the new guy did.

I'm pretty sure that isn't the part we're disagreeing with him on.

Adios

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 07, 2010, 12:17:25 AM
coming back into this thread after page 2, I gotta say I think several of you are being quite unreasonable, and/or looking for offense or reading things into Pickles' replies that simply aren't there.

I'm not going to defend his economic theories since I have no working grasp of what's being discussed, but I utterly fail to see where he said anything that deserved some of the vitriolic responses he's gotten.

We'll see, I guess.

Ah, shit. Tenure Shenmure.

Well we are friends, but this is PD.

And who is to pay for those tests? Social services are being cut right and left. Are we to say to some, no food for you, and let the children of idiots go without? Or do we place the children in an already overworked system with no hope? I am on unemployment waiting for disability. Should I go get tested? Are we to add another cost burden to the system? What of those who have no transportation to get tested? I see a hell of a lot of issues with this.

Freeky

I'd agree with making people get tested for drugs, but I'm biased because I don't do them.

Don Coyote

"sorry you don't get any bread and cheese because you just pissed hot for pot."

"But I haven't eaten for a week"

"Sorry but that is rule."

"But I'll starve to death and so will my children"

"should have thought of that before you uncrossed your legs and before you toked up on your bong"

'but I don't even smoke pot."

'GUARDS please remove this vagrant from the food bank"

Phox

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 12:24:54 AM

And who is to pay for those tests? Social services are being cut right and left. Are we to say to some, no food for you, and let the children of idiots go without? Or do we place the children in an already overworked system with no hope? I am on unemployment waiting for disability. Should I go get tested? Are we to add another cost burden to the system? What of those who have no transportation to get tested? I see a hell of a lot of issues with this.

I stand corrected. Though I don't disagree with drug testing, either.

Adios

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 07, 2010, 12:28:36 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 07, 2010, 12:24:54 AM

I stand corrected. Though I don't disagree with drug testing, either.

I have no issue with drug testing by companies or law enforcement. I just don't think the SS system needs another hoop for people to jump through.

Adios

Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on September 07, 2010, 12:26:40 AM
I'd agree with making people get tested for drugs, but I'm biased because I don't do them.

I haven't since used since 1972.

Disco Pickle

I've got to make an hour long call to Mexico guys..

doesn't mean I wont get back to all of this, as I appreciate your opinions, no matter how smarmy and sarcastic..

but I may not get back to it this evening.  I've some other responsibilities to handle before work tomorrow.

I'll reread it all in the morning, and get back with you.

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Phox

Maybe you're right Charley. But then again, I'm in favor of legalizing most drugs because of the cost of enforcing the laws related to them.

Adios

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on September 07, 2010, 12:34:49 AM
Maybe you're right Charley. But then again, I'm in favor of legalizing most drugs because of the cost of enforcing the laws related to them.

To a point. If my ass depended on the nut next to me (see swamp stories) then I don't want that fucker all fucked up. There has to be some limits. Overall, I agree with pot being legalized, but I also believe that companies should have the right to say "not at work"

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on September 07, 2010, 12:34:10 AM
I've got to make an hour long call to Mexico guys..

doesn't mean I wont get back to all of this, as I appreciate your opinions, no matter how smarmy and sarcastic..

but I may not get back to it this evening.  I've some other responsibilities to handle before work tomorrow.

I'll reread it all in the morning, and get back with you.

Okay, it has been.......interesting.

Thurnez Isa

I don't. But I have never taken offense to someone who used the little support they get to buy drugs (if indeed they can). When I go to Toronto every now and then I would be willing to bet most of the ppl who approach me for a few bucks use it for those means. I can't explain my position beyond that.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Freeky

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on September 07, 2010, 12:39:19 AM

I don't. But I have never taken offense to someone who used the little support they get to buy drugs (if indeed they can). When I go to Toronto every now and then I would be willing to bet most of the ppl who approach me for a few bucks use it for those means. I can't explain my position beyond that.

I guess. I don't really care, not a whole bunch anyway.